WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight - August 2015 - Vacation

Sarah, Thanks so much for joining us here in the Spotlight! I think you have done a lovely job! A real nice sense of sunlight! You might be able to tone down those red shadows by lightly glazing a cooler, less intense dark green pastel over the top of the red. Might work if you have a harder pastel (which is usually easier to create a more transparent glaze than a softer, more opaque stick). Regardless, very nicely done!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahM
Some great work so far this month! Since I haven't had a proper vacation for years, I decided to use for a reference a photo I took the last time I visited my folks in Ohio a few years ago.

Autumn in Ohio
Mix of hard and soft pastels and pastel pencils
18 x 24 cm grey Pastelmat

I'm not wild about the tree on the right but I like some of the colours in the grass and the shrubs on the left. The red shadows really should be cooler. They were red because of the fallen leaves. Each painting is a learning experience.

This is great! I love the feel of it, you captured the mood and atmosphere of the place so well! Agree with Don about the red shadows, a dark green glaze might do it. Or a touch of violet. Just mute them a bit and it'll be all right.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Thank you Sarah. I like your fall painting very much. I just love the house hiding behind the tree. The fall tree is just beautiful and I don't think the shadows are too hot. At least not on my monitor. It's painterly. Very very nice! Frame it!!

Thank you Jen. I'm most anxious to give it to them next week. They took some beautiful photos.

JAY
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Sarah...Your painting is lovely. I agree that the red shadows could be toned down a bit....But I love the shadow of the big tree.

Well, this is my backyard. Not too colorful....may work some more on it, but it was late afternoon, and there wasn't too much color at the time...

Still working on the covered bridge. Yes,,,, not too far from where I live.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! You captured the blue of evening stealing in so well. Lovely painting. Very colorful and intense. It's okay if evening time makes a scene closer to monochrome. You got those little glints of warm light in too!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom

JudiB, I really like the harmonious colours in your painting. The light coming through the trees is lovely.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2015, 04:58 PM

Judi! How lovely. Soothing. Peaceful. Painterly. Very very nice. We don't appreciate our own work enough. It's beautiful!

JAY
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Judi, This is looking good! Can't wait to see the finish!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Immortalized

Sarah, yours is lovely! I really like that tree on the right because it's so original, and the grass and blue shadows on the grass are terrific. I agree about toning down the red shadows. Last fall I spent a lot of time looking at the fallen leaves, trying to get an accurate painting. I noticed they have lots of dark, purplish areas where they shade each other and curl into shapes, creating dark nooks and crannies. I would also suggest lightening the trunk of the tree in the background. Its shape is ho-hum (as most tree trunks are!) so it doesn't need to draw attention to itself IMHO. And thank you for complimenting my rose. I hope the poor plant survives.

JudiB, that's a beautiful painting of your backyard! Lots of green, but you did a great job with it, and it really has a plein air look. I'd add more of that deep burgundy to some of those tree trunks like you've done in a few places. You've really taken what could be a boring green painting and made it lovely!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Judi, I love the colors!! Looks like a hot, hazy, humid afternoon.

~Barbara
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2015, 07:35 AM

Judi, just looked at your backyard painting again. I just love the light behind the trees.
jay

JAY
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM

Wow, Came back from vacation to see this spotlight and fabulous spots to visit. Jay--you have been mega busy. I keep returning to the first painting as it is so fresh and spontaneous--just love it! Then, there I see Niagara. I would have been terrified to paint the falls but you did it with just a few lightly placed strokes--love how the paper shows through--it really worked.
Blayne--I know the rose you are painting and it is so hard to capture the beautiful color but you did it and wonderfully complemented by the blue in the leaves.
Jen--This is such a refreshing painting. Looks sunny but not too humid. One of those 75 degree days we all love. The boat is in good detail with less so in the background that really pops the point of interest.
Robert--I love the milkweed--don't see it much here. I agree with the others- it is so animated. Reminds me of the old movie Fantasia, for some reason.
Sarah--Lovely, warm summer scene.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 PM

Just returned from Grayton Beach, Florida where I have vacationed for many years. Possibly my favorite place on earth. Here is one of the sunsets over Grayton Beach state park. C&C welcome.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh wow! Mamalynn, you captured the light so perfectly! I love those greens, muted by he ruddy light but still distinct, everything still colorful but sliding toward evening, the liquid sky dancing with color! Your clouds are amazing! The houses and rooftops perfect, again that amazing colorful light not quite drowning out all other hues but uniting them. Nothing is stark. Nothing silhouetted yet. No whites or blacks, only warmth and muted color, all embracing warmth with a sense of moist sticky tropical heat! Some of that's in the foliage too, the types of trees so beautifully rendered and types of roofing. Wonderful atmospheric painting! You make me want to go there!

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Lynn, firstly, thank you. Hope you had a great time. You certainly brought back a winning painting! Did you paint it in Florida?
What a wonderful sky. I love the levels of sky, the greenish light. Then the billowy lemon-lit clouds. Wish I could see it in person. I always have trouble with the back lit foliage. I'm going to study yours. Just love this.

I'm curious about the size, paper and pastels you used. Love the still green dark trees

JAY