WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight - August 2015 - Vacation

Jay, Lovely painting of what must be a wonderful vacation spot!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Thank you Don. It is lovely there. Of course, our perception can be influenced by the wine tasting!!

JAY
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 AM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Jay, beautiful painting. I lived in Italy for a few years. Such an inspirational place...everywhere you look is a painting waiting to be done.
Cheers, Kay
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Thank you. You're right. Everywhere you look. I love it there. We lived in Bologna...and you?

JAY
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Just outside of Venice in a small village called Preganziol. I was into cycling at the time and spent many hours riding through the Dolomiti and foothills behind Treviso. Loved every minute.
Kay
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:42 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Jayyou have captured that clear air and bright sunshine of Italy. Nice job!

C & c's always welcome
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

So today I had a bit of time so started on this one. I have got a long way to go but as there is not a lot going on here I thought I would post what I have so far.
9" x 12" Uart various pastels.

C & c's always welcome
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Kay, that must have been wonderful. You're brave to cycle there. Will we see a painting?

Thank you Jen. I'm happy to hear you say that. You're painting is coming along GREAT! I like that very much.

JAY
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Jay, I'm looking for my photos. Couldn't find them last night. Must be on another hard drive, yet to be found. Lots of memories, lots of emotions...have to find them!!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Lord of the Arts

Just chuckling, Jay because that happens to me all the time when I send an email with (without ) an attachment. Judging from from the fact that I receive emails without proper attachments all the time, we are not alone!

Your painting is lovely. And you have chosen so difficult subject! I really love the foliage in the whole painting. It's very different from what my attempts would be like and I really like the effect you created and the texture and depth.

You mentioned tweaking it and I hope you won't mind my comments. *fingers crossed*
I like the tables and what you did with the soft shadows on the table cloths. The colors you chosen are wonderful. I am not sure about the perspective of the table that is closer to us though. And about the size of the chairs.

I wish I could paint like you one day
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Jen, I am looking forward to seeing your painting finished! The reflection is really nice.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 08:37 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jen, Looking good so far! Looking forward to the next update!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM

Nick, you are just too nice being worried about giving c and c. I love your comments. Accurate and truthful! Thank you!
Someone else mentioned the table to me also.
The tables and chairs were bothering me too. Even before your comment, I put the ref and painting side by side and traced the ref table. And checked it on the computer against the same table. The one you mentioned.
I do need to shorten the far away end of it a little but I need pastel pencil to help. Waiting for the u p s man, hopefully. (Maybe he will come and work on the painting.). There is a hair's width difference in width toward the viewer that I can fix. It is so slight, I may leave it. Believe it or not. The chairs are accurate, mostly. I think the fact that the table covered the bottom of the door makes the tables and chairs look small. I can sneak the base of the door in there in one spot too. I think.
These are the things that are so hard when we don't have other artist eyes to help us spot. Thank you do much for helping with this. I hope I can get it right. It's for me and will forever bother me in the frame if it doesn't read right. Thanks

JAY
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Lord of the Arts

Thank you, Jay

I was surprised by the size of the chairs in comparison with the flower pot. I guess the pots are simply big

It's so wonderful to paint something for US. Something with special meaning that makes us smile every time we see it.

Btw. good luck with the UPS man
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jay, that painting is fabulous! Finite perspective. If there are perspective errors, the foliage has blotted them out. Not just misdirected, flat out blocked them from view as if they'd never been. Perspective looks consistent and the scene has lovely depth. Wonderful use of color and aerial perspective, love that lacy distant foliage muted blue on blue. It rocks!

Jen, that's a great start. I like the composition, lovely zig zag eye path with the boat pointing inward and getting my attention to those beautiful reflections and from there the wind ruffle streaks on the water and the distant horizon. This is going to be eye popping when it's done and beautifully complex! I love it!

Mine is going to be fairly simple. I'm doing the pink milkweed reference since something about it really grabbed me, debating which pastels but very tempted to clear off my Unisons again.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 08-07-2015 at 11:36 AM.