WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - July 2015 - Skies

Ural...I agree with Don...nice subtle color combinations....

I finally finished one. I'm hoping to do a couple more before the end of the month...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jay, wow, it came out fantastic! I love it!

Ural, yours has a great mood, very different, quieter and more contemplative. I love seeing multiple versions. Yours is just as great. It does get frustrating taking photos and not getting color right, I do what I can but I hear you on that.

Judi, excellent! I like your textures and some of the cloud shapes are so spectacular. In the past you sometimes over-blended and you've gone past that now, lovely clear visible strokes and textures! Love the distant trees in softer texture and nearer ones more textural, that gives lovely depth in the far middle to deep distance by the treeline!

Nice composition, lively colors, it's fun! One of your best and has that cheery feel some of your previous great paintings have. Purring at you! Now I really need to keep up!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Judy, Very bold and painterly! Nice!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi folks,
I have to go away for a couple of weeks so won't be able to add anything more prior to end of the month, so this will have to be it for now.
Actually, looking at them together like this, there are a lot more vibrant aspects that I need to capture, yet. In fact, I'm not happy at all yet - frustrated I have to go away!
There is some beautiful work being submitted and I'm so happy to be a part of it.
Have an awesome day!

Kay
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

This makes me sleepy!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jay, on second thought forget what I said about the silhouetted brush. IT's got a fabulous effect as is. The sky is more vibrant or I'm just seeing t better, love those turbulent clouds!

You improved on the photo!

You changed the stage of sunset to a little earlier while the light s stronger and the sun still lighter - a very subtle, real color harmony that brings many sunsets to mind. I love it. Don't be disappointed t's not the same as the photo. You captured and strengthened the light in a good way! Trust your artistic judgment! I think you did work on it to make it bolder and more colorful. Now it's done!

Step away from the painting. Cut a nice mat and stick it in a frame or a ClearBag. This one is finished and gorgeous!

Ural, so is yours. Hehehe yeah, it is sleepy and serene and so soft. A completely different, utterly lovely feel.

After weeks I finally came back to my June-July Spotlight painting and did the Underpainting layer with hard pastels.

Storm Skyscape, June-July Spotlight (Underpainting Stage)
7 1/2" x 9 1/2"
Fisher 400 sanded paper
Derwent hard pastels set of 12 and colorless blender
Photo reference by DAK723 now abandoned to work from sketch and preliminaries. There comes a point it's easier to let the painting rule.

Lesson of the stage - you can lighten a hard pastel passage by going under it with the white stick, then over it lightly with a color, then white again to blend it together into a light tint. For a stronger tint just use the white over the dark color. Values are a little off but it's sanded paper, I can use a lot of layers to adjust both color and value. The cloud masses of lighter and darker overcast will also get more variations of hue and value breaking up the big masses. I'm pleased overall with these shapes.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Immortalized

Ural, your painting is beautiful! It has such wonderful color harmony and is very restful. (Maybe that's why it's putting you to sleep! ) Just IMHO I think the frame you chose is a bit dark and almost overwhelms the soft painting, but the painting certainly looks lovely framed.

JudiB, yours is a colorful contrast to Ural's. You really achieved a sense of distance, with the yellow green in the foreground and bluer greens in the distance. I think you chose the perfect place for the horizon line. I love the shapes of the trees and the colorful sky!

Kayjay, yours makes a real color splash, you, and it's gorgeous! I like the tree branches at the left and am glad you left them in. You did a great job on the water and the pier!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Louisville, KY

Before, I would split my landscapes in half where the horizon line was, and would draw trees above that. I read the original post, then looked at some of you'll examples, and thought I would give this way a try. This was just a quick drawing, but I see a instant difference from this and some of my other drawings. Done with cretacolor and sennelier on canson mi tientes.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 02:03 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh this is spectacular! love it!

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Blayne, you are correct. Thank you.
Tevin, using the textured stock is helpful. I like your simplicity, the sky is beckoning!
Kay,& Judi, well done.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Kayjay, Your painting is lovely!

Robert, Looking forward to seeing how yours progresses!

Tevin, Very nice! Your clouds have nice form!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Immortalized

Robert, I'm sorry I missed your sketch--we cross-posted. It's looking very good, and thank you for the blending info!

Tevin, I like your painting very much! The lower horizon line really emphasizes the beautiful sky, and bringing some of the foliage color up into the clouds gives the painting a great color harmony.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Louisville, KY

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Ural, you have a wonderful sky yourself.. and a great painting overall.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Oh Blayne, I LOVE. There is something very Van Goghish about the style and color choices. Awesome.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 05:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Oh my goodness. You've all been PAINTING!!!
Robert, Thank you.
Judibelle. I love it. I love how you did the foreground.
kay Jay. You did a super job on that sky. Maybe a good thing to let it be a while. You might come to love it as it. I do.
Ural: put it in the bedroom then! It's beautiful. Subtle.
Robert: strong beginning. Foretells a great ending.
Tevin: wow. I like that a lot. The sky is sensitive and beautiful. The trees are so lovely. Well done.
Ural: if we're voting, I vote to see yet another frame. We buyers are particular. How about a silver frame?

Everyone is doing such good work.

JAY