WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - July 2015 - Skies

Blayne, that is beautiful! I love the contrasting textures at the moment, it's so lively. Great composition and color harmony. Set it aside and do another. You may seriously want to keep this exactly as it is instead of overworking. I'm not kidding. This stands as mixed media right now!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Blayne, glad you are better, I didn't know...???
Your WIP gives off an emotional feel sort of like a piece by Vincent!
Jay is right, very nice......(just don't mess with it too much and mess it up! )
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Lord of the Arts

Yes, Blayne, it's lovely. I have no idea how you created that look

Happy 4 July!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 10:21 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Blayne, Thanks for starting us off this month! Lovely painting! I really like your color combinations! I agree with the others who think this is done or very close to done!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Don... a beautiful assortment of skies! I have been 'absent' for so long, but I actually started one today. It's like beginning (techniques) all over again...I feel like a real beginner. But I will persevere!

Blayne...I love the energy in your painting. Well done!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Immortalized

Awww, you guys are all too nice--I'll have fireworks going off in my head over all the compliments!🎇🎉🗽🎆🎊. I'll try not to mess it up and may try another. In room lighting, the yellow in this doesn't show as garish as in the photo, which was taken in daylight. I may lightly go over the yellow with a creamy white.

Jay, if I didn't thank you earlier, I apologize. Thank you!

Robert, thanks! I did try to cover all the watercolor with pastel. Would that be considered a pastel painting or mixed media?

Nick, I used only watercolor and pastel in this. Thanks so much!

Ural, I've hurt my back gardening. Ugh. I was able to sit and do the watercolor so may try another. Thank you, and I'll try not to mess it up. But you're not the only one with a round file ...

JudiB, thank you and glad you're joining us!

Thank you, Don! Your photo was inspirational.

Happy 4th everyone!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Blayne, I am sorry that you hurt your back. If you have a muscle or nerve damage, do what I do. Get one of those freezer packs and wrap a towel around it, then apply it to your back. It will soothe the pain.
And relax a while!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: The Spotlight - July 2015 - Skies: First attempt

30x40cm Colourfix Plein Air Painting Board, Art Spectrum Soft Pastels: Subject is Lake Dunn, a nearby lake I took a pic of at sunset. Work in progress. C&C welcomed.
Firstly I started blocking in the colours - following the guidelines given, trying to blend the shades of colours in the sky

Then I added more detailed colours over the background colours in the sky

Joyful stage of adding foreground and shadowed outline of the horizon

Finally adding in more detail of clouds. Heaps to be done yet, but C&C welcomed.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Immortalized

Thanks, Ural, I have been doing that and it works. But the minute I stand up and start to walk, each step is a misery. So I'm moving slowly--and getting so bored trying to find things to occupy my mind while I stay off my feet. All of the beautiful paintings of flowers on WC had led me to try to get some color in my yard this year, so I've bought various flowers that need to be planted, and it's frustrating not to be able to get out there and do that and to just be able to walk around and enjoy them. But here I am whining, so forgive me! This, too, shall pass, hopefully!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Immortalized

Kayjay, we cross-posted, and I didn't see your beautiful painting! It is dazzling, with such gorgeous bold colors. I really love the blue sky still visible as the sun sets! The composition is terrific, and you did a great job with the tree line and the foreground, too. Although you invited C&C, I can't see a thing to change in your painting. Welcome to the Spotlight--it's great that you are joining us!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Kay jay, love the sunset. The tree line recedes so nicely. Beautiful painting. I'll be interested to see what more you do.

Welcome to the spotlight.

Blayne, feel better. Find some of those old funny threads and start them up again. The critique of masterpieces one is a riot. That will keep you busy.

JAY
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Kayjay, wow! This is powerful. I have only one critical question to ask about compostion - are those near ground lacy branches really necessary? They darken and change the painting, shifting emphasis away from the clouds to the land. Then again you're not done so I'm not sure what the final effect will be. It worked well without them at all, they aren't needed. But the way you did them is very delicate and interesting. Lovely texture.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Kayjay, I have to tell you this sunset is very nicely done. The finished piece is going to be wonderful. And, frankly, I like the willow tree in the foreground and I believe it adds interest. Perhaps ther may be something else added? But, I am anxious to see the next view.
So, it is 12" X 16"? That is a good size for this and will be nice framed!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Isn't this lovely?
Kajay, I couldn't resist, hope you don't mind!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Wow- thank you all for the encouragement and comments.
Ural - I have never seen any of my paintings framed. Thankyou, it makes a massive difference. Yes, the size is 12 x 16 inches.
Robert, the tree was in the foreground of the original photo that I took. I never really thought of leaving it out. I think once I've completed the sky the tree will be less obvious.
Have a great day!
Kay