WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2015, 03:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Spotlight - June 2015 - The Horizon Line

Lovely photo Norma. You did an interesting sky. I like your tree. I'm not sure I would bend it like that unless you want the lower part to look like a shadow?

I think you could have a bit of pink in the water? Perhaps? Like the sky? Just a touch. You're just hearing me be picky about a very nice painting. The fronds on the tree are very well done

JAY
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Immortalized

Very nice, Norma, even if the horizon gremlins did move the horizon a bit! I think you could put some darker accents in the tree fronds, but I really like your palm tree. I do agree with Jay about straightening the tree a bit. I thought the bottom half was a reflection until I looked closer. You did a gorgeous job on the water and those reeds or cattails there.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2015, 12:00 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Norma, Very nice sunset painting and photo! I think the fact that the tree bend lines up with the top water line is what is causing the confusion as to whether it looks like a reflection. In the photo the bend is much more subtle, too. Nevertheless, nice painting!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hi, I am sorry for being away for so long. Real life has been emotionally demanding lately and I have stopped painting. But I am lurking
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 AM

Nick. Oh do let some of the emotions make their way onto a painting. But if not, we're happy to have you lurking. Hope you feel better soon.

I found some sites that might cheer you up. Baby peregrine falcons. Live. You can snap photos of them. The ones at mdc.mo.gov are four fluffy birds. And then there are other webcams at ab-conservation.com. If they are dark, then it is still dark at the location. I hope you enjoy them.

Jay

JAY

Last edited by Still-trying : 06-17-2015 at 08:09 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Immortalized

Nice to hear from you, Nick! I do hope your life soon gets on an even emotional keel. Hugs to you--hang in there! I'm lurking, too. I began a painting of the photo with the lake and white house but then the plants I ordered arrived, so I've been outside, tending to the yard and the garden. Unfortunately, I hurt my back in the process, and it's painful to stand or walk. Since my painting supplies are set up for me to work while standing, and I've never worked well while sitting down, I haven't been painting, either.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2015, 07:33 PM

Blayne. I'm so sorry to hear about your back. Sending healing wishes.

JAY
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 09:51 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Beautiful sky, Norma! I love the colors and shapes in your clouds. Horizon creep can easily happen, can see why you had that problem. Cool palm tee, the fronds are gorgeous!

Blayne, be careful after hurting your back. So rough that you can't get used to painting sitting down, but sketching or thumbnailing may be possible. I'm used to painting seated because I can't stand very long and would never finish anything if I had to stand at an easel. It helps me to work small when I do, so studies and sketches may be easier than full size painting.

Or just relax and watch a bunch of videos, read art books, take it easy. Do what you can to get comfortable because that really does speed healing.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 06-18-2015 at 09:56 AM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Immortalized

Thanks for the sympathy and advice, Jay and Robert! In trying to figure out how to work while sitting down, I've gained a whole new respect for people who can organize art supplies, especially thousands of pastels, to keep them in reach in order to work while seated. HOW do you do it? I'm hoping my inability to stand is temporary, because I'd think an ideal work station would involve low tables for storage--maybe a U-shaped work area. No place for that setup right now. But I have done some thumbnails, and I can look across the room at prior paintings and criticize my past efforts.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2015, 05:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oooh, my dream setup, Blayne! I would love to have a U-shaped work area. That would truly rock. I'm looking around at how I have things arranged and that might even be feasible given what I have is a swivel chair. I'd just have to figure out exactly where and how to put everything. Might do that on Tuesday if I don't need Elgie to go to the store for anything.

I recycled a piece of sanded paper with a drawing on it that I didn't recognized, cleaned it off as well as I could and decided to dedicate to my Spotlight Demo. So here it is - the sketch on charcoal after all those thumbnails.

Storm Skyscape Charcoal Sketch
7 1/2" x 9 1/2"
Charcoal on (I think) Fisher 400 sanded pastel paper.
Photo reference by DAK723 morphed to my design.

I've now added a spit of land on the left to keep the lake from being boring and put some bigger trees on it to stand in front of the whole treeline and become a secondary focal area. The storm is going to be awesome. The storm is where I'll really have fun with color. Values on the storm will be a bit stronger than sketched. Did not fill in the value on the mountains with the charcoal, that comes in the dry or wet underpaintng. I haven't decided which yet. Shoreline is musical and natural, will probably have some rocks by the time I'm done and the shape of it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 AM

Robert, I like this! I like it just as it is!! The trees have moods and personalities. Really nice.

Blayne, try standing with one foot up on a little stool? Keep changing which foot is up. Even a little pile of books under one foot. Wishing you well.

JAY
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Nick and Blayne, Sorry to hear about your various woes. I hope you all fell better soon! Don't worry if you're not painting!

Robert, Looking forward to see how your painting progresses from the thumbnail!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Happy Father's Day to all.

JAY
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Immortalized

Thanks for the good, healing wishes, Jay and Don! I'm walking a little better. Fingers crossed I continue to improve.

Robert, your sketch looks great! Good luck with getting your work area arranged.

Nick, I hope you can join us soon!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Immortalized

The month is coming to an end, so I'll post what I got done a few weeks ago. You may not recognize the white house from Don's photo (sorry, Don!). I know I need to refine the drawing of the house and its reflection, as well as do something to make that dock look like a dock. I wanted a swampy, bayou look for the lake, with Spanish moss in the trees in the background. Any ideas or C&C welcome!