WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria

Hails from Australia
Re: The Spotlight - June 2015 - The Horizon Line

Blayne, we call them piers or jetties here in Australia, thank you for your feedback

Robert! Thank you for going on further ... im here to push myself and id stashed the above piece away waiting for some C & C to get it finished ... if I get time over the next few days ill try to apply what you suggested ... it makes very good sense so I hope I can apply it well!

Cheers,
Emma
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2015, 02:54 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, thanks! I'm posting my skyscape first color study done in hard pastels on sketch paper. Values and hues are approximate, I had to blend colors using only a 12 color set for them. But here it is - stormy skyscape verson one...

Looking at it at a distance, I need to adjust something with the values. Definitely wanted left side darker than the right. I broke up the straight shoreline with deliberate inlets and extrusions to slow it and make it more musical. Done from the middle left thumbnail on previous page.

Skyscape Color Study (Fixed)
5" x 7"
12 Derwent pastels on brown Bee Bogus Recycled sketch paper
Photo reference Pastel Spotlight #1 scene by DAK723

Progress! Much as I'd like to do multiples this month, that will depend on the weather. I'm taking my time with this one and doing it as a demo. I'll post the WIP thread today in Spotlight too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Very nice Robert. It looks like it's pouring! very nice.

JAY
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2015, 03:52 PM

Well it's Pastel Monday at my house so I tried the scene with the canoe. I wanted to leave it empty because I don't do people!!! But I stuck some in. Someone had to paddle!!
This is 7 x 12 on Uart 400 Pastels are Schmincke, A.S.for the sky, mainly, and then also Terry Ludwig. Pastel pencils for the poor little people. (One guy lost the muscles in his upper arm!)
But I get a prize for perservence! I reached to pick up a pastel in a new TL box that I haven't used yet and a nice black spider popped up. Do you think Terry will charge me extra? I put the box in a big plastic bag. Now what????
Attached Images

JAY
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Jay, yours is lovely! I like that sense of mist on the water. Love how you did the trees too, plenty of depth among them. Gorgeous mountains. Best of all that sky, it's wonderful. You left a good eye path among the trees leading into the greater distance. This rocks.

As for the spider, putting it in a plastic bag would help. Get someone who's not afraid of spiders to gently take it apart and move the spider outdoors where it belongs? I usually try to catch them under a glass or something and slide a card under it till I can get them outside. Up here I might have just used a boot though, it's a lot of stairs to get outside. Or just tossed it out the hallway window, they're light weight and it'd be a heck of a climb back up.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 06-08-2015 at 09:21 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Immortalized

Robert, good job with only 12 pastels! I think your values are spot on. (And I catch spiders the same way you recommended. )

Jay, that's beautiful! I love that dramatic sky! I think the values and colors you choose are just right--nice, bold colors. Frame it!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Thanks Robert. When it dries up outside I will take the box of pastels outside and take it apart, one by one. Let the spider escape outside. Thanks a good suggestion about the plastic cup.

Blayne: thank you. The people are ok? I was a little timid with them. I made a tiny sketch of them and cut it out. Placed it on the lake to see where to put them since I had cropped the picture. Helped me with the composition. But not with the drawing of them. Thanks for commenting.

JAY
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Robert, Looking good! It's interesting to see how much prep work you put into a painting! Good lesson for those of us (like me) that tend to jump right in to the final work! Thumbnails and preliminary sketches work things out beforehand!

Jay, Nice done! I think your people look fine! At that size, just a small shape of color here and there is all you need! The low horizon line lets us see that nicely painted sky!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Don, I don't usually put this much prep work in. I probably should but your lesson made me slow down and do it. Much to the improvement of the painting, I'm sure! But the canoe reference demanded it.

Some photos have an obvious crop or it's even more tempting not to crop. Taking the canoe out changed where the focal area is and I wanted that in the sky for a skyscape. The birds will go in on the serious painting but probably not till the last stage.

Most often my thumbnails stage takes place opening the reference in GIMP and just playing with enlarging and changing the shape of the window. I move the sliders a lot and go through many more than half a dozen possibilities.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 06-09-2015 at 09:08 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks Don. I forgot to thank you for the reference.

Robert, I had trouble with the canoe also. I wanted it in but wanted a big sky. Yet without the canoe, I thought the water lacked something. So I put the canoe but not calling too much attention.
P
My husband, my critic! Doesn't like something. He thinks the canoe might have to be more defined or something. I don't want it the center of interest. I wanted it secondary.

Anyone have any suggestions?

JAY
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-trying
Thanks Don. I forgot to thank you for the reference.

Robert, I had trouble with the canoe also. I wanted it in but wanted a big sky. Yet without the canoe, I thought the water lacked something. So I put the canoe but not calling too much attention.
P
My husband, my critic! Doesn't like something. He thinks the canoe might have to be more defined or something. I don't want it the center of interest. I wanted it secondary.

Anyone have any suggestions?

As per the canoe, you could add a few "tighter" lines or a couple darker accents to create some harder edges - although at the size of your painting it may not be possible. And as the painting is somewhat soft and atmospheric, you may not want the canoe to be any different. As far as the center of interest goes, I think that almost anytime you put a living thing (people, animals, etc) or man made things in a landscape, they will be the center of interest no matter what. The opposite probably applies too - if you put a tree in a cityscape, it will probably stand out and draw the eye. So, alas, I think the canoe with people will be the center of interest or the "subject" no matter what you do...

Of course, studies have shown that people often have very different reactions as to what they look at first, second, third, etc. when looking at a painting.

Just my 2 cents,

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery

Last edited by DAK723 : 06-09-2015 at 03:02 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks Don. You reinforced what I was thinking. Keep it soft. It all goes together. The photo of the painting is a bit blurry, btw. Sorry.

From across the room, I notice the sky. Then as I come closer, I notice the canoe and people. Kind of a little surprise. I hope that works for others too.

Thanks for explaining about the "subject" Very interesting.

JAY

Last edited by Still-trying : 06-09-2015 at 04:05 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I was drawn to the sky and didn't think the people needed more details. But that's me, I chose not to put them in to avoid making them a distraction. Now I'm getting ready to turn the canoe into an island expanded enough to go off the left side of the painting and the people into trees, but lots more of them. Or maybe dinosaurs. I could go with my first idea. Naw, just island. Not sure I want to try dinosaurs in pastel in a painting where they'd just be little inch tall squiggle gestures. They might work better in the foreground of a different one.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Robert, it's like watching a movie trailer, "Coming soon! The dinosaurs in pastel!" I'd love to see it!

JAY
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

Here is my horizon challenge. It was a challenge. I started with a low horizon line... and then... it moved itself up almost to the middle. How did that happen???? The horizon gremlins. This is 5 x 7 on gray art spectrum paper. It is based on personal photo reference of Florida sunset which I have also appended. C&C always eagerly welcomed.