WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight - June 2015 - The Horizon Line

Jay, Nice sunset! Thanks for starting us off this month! I like your horizon line location - very natural and gives us more water than sky letting us see more of the sun's reflection which leads us to the setting sun!

Robert, Glad to see some thumbnails! A quick way to try different compositions!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Thanks Don. That reference was love at first sight. Great photo.

JAY
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 AM
NJ

Hails from United States

Thanks for your insights, Don. Landscapes aren't typically my thing, but your lesson and photos have inspired me. I think I may give one a try!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Don, thank you for another inspiring month. I think you did well at explaining the Horizen or "look" line which can be very confusing. I agree that it depends on your subject matter, mood and general daring as to where to put this line. I tend like you to prefer the more centered approach but have done it other ways too. I am not sure if I will make it this month either as I am currently playing in the clay! I go through moods too and jump between, pastel, oils and clay. I am tempted by a couple so I will see. I always enjoy the discussions that go on here though so will lurk!

C & c's always welcome
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Im pretty new to pastels and very new to landscapes (this is my first one!) ... its also the first time ive participated in one of these features so feel free to pass on your C & C's
I think I probably didn't pay enough attention to the actual horizon in this ... it isn't very straight ... I did try to not put it in the centre of the page though as advised ... I had a lot of fun, I didn't spend a lot of time on it as I didn't want to get to bogged down ... critique away

Last edited by GivenToFly : 06-03-2015 at 04:12 AM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Given: Very nice first landscape!
When I do something with a horizon, I use a ruler to get the line straight. I go across with a pastel pencil as a guide for the drawing. I don't know if others do.

Your rocks are very well done and believable..especially for someone new to pastel! Good job.

Would you like to tell us the surface you're using, the size of the painting and the type of pastel? We find it interesting.

Welcome to the Spotlight. Hope you do many more paintings.

Jay

JAY
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I like the sparkles in the water. The rocks are well formed and the birds are cool too. Good rounded perspective on the lighthouse. Well done!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 AM
NJ

Hails from United States

Nice work, Given! Your rocks look great. Interesting how the close crop of Don's original image changes the whole feel of the scene. By eliminating elements the lighthouse seems even more isolated.

Well done!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Thanks all my main reason for participating in this spotlight is ive been struggling with my backgrounds ... I thought this was a good way to spend some time playing with the elements that usually make up a background.

Jay I've been using pastels for around 6 weeks and so far really enjoy the freedom they have given me ... although I find im bogging myself down when it comes to the backgrounds.
I considered using a ruler, but I didn't want to get to formal about the whole piece (trying to keep the vibe of painting it flowing)
Robert, Do you think I need to work the sky any more? it looks a little unfinished to me ... but maybe that's the bit where I tart to get locked down and the flow disappears?
Thanks Joe .... I really wanted to focus on the landscape which is why I cropped it the way I did ... to much happening in the piece I think I would have put to much focus on the subjects
The feedback was great .... I might work on another one today!

Cheers,
Emma
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Oh and I used pastel pencils (Derwent) and medium pastels on A4 Canson paper ... nothing fancy in my "tool kit" lol
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Emma, Thanks for joining us! Nice job on the lighthouse painting! Very well done for your first landscape!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Immortalized

Welcome to Spotlight, Joel! I hope we see of some of your work here!

Jen, i certainly understand jumping between mediums--clay is fun. I've done that myself all my life and currently my medium is dirt and plants, hoping my efforts will yield some mid-summer and late summer color.

Emma, welcome! You did a great job on that painting! Those rocks certainly look like rocks, making that jetty look just like ones I have seen IRL. (Are they called jetties, or breakwaters, or ...?) The ocean, sky and birds make a lovely scene!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM
NJ

Hails from United States

Thanks for the greeting, Blayne. I've started on one of Don's photos, so if all goes as planned you won't have too long a wait!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Immortalized

Good luck, Joel. Looking forward to it!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Emma, yes, I think it would help if you push the colors in the sky. You have some nice shapes going in the clouds, the more abstract and irregular the better. But the blue areas can be a bit stronger. Gradate the sky darkest at the top of the painting (toward zenith) and lightest at the horizon. The values you have are great for right by the horizon, but shade stronger blue the farther up you go. Your birds are silhouetted against clouds, but with stronger blue the white areas on them would stand out well against bare sky.

I didn't mention that because I didn't want to overload with critique and mostly just point out the strengths in the painting. But since you asked, yes! Push those blues! Think about a nice strong aqua stick in a small set - that is a good value for blue sky up toward the top of the painting. Laid in solid. Then shade gradually lighter as it comes down. Also there's pinkish color in the pale clouds which gives a lovely sense of dawn light! Keep that! The blue leans more greenish the farther South you are and more toward summer, more violet cast in the North and the winter. Mid-blues work in between. It's good to not use exactly the same hue as the water.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting