WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight - May 2015 - Celebrating Spring

Nice painting, Robert!

Glad you mentioned how you were able to get back the painterly look at the end! That is one of the good points about pastel, in my opinion. It's possible, no matter if a painting gets tight or overworked, to put on a few touches with a softer pastel and get that painterly or more spontaneous look after all!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

That's a good point, Don. I hadn't thought about Robert's comment. Thanks for reinforcing it.
When I was working on the boat I have over in gallery, I got kind of stuck. I didn't know how to go on with subtle subtle shadows on the side of the white boat. So I used a brush with some TL pastel on the tip. I was able to softly brush and play a bit, less scary than strong application of pastel. That made me more confident to try to improve the painting. (It wasn't a hard bristle brush though. It was a synthetic that I bought to use for watercolor underpainting.)

Thanks for this spotlight. Everyone has been celebrating spring outdoors instead of painting!!! After this last winter, who can blame them.

JAY
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That's interesting applying very soft pastel with a very soft watercolor brush. May have to try it sometime.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Immortalized

Robert, your irises came out lovely! The lower one especially has a lively, dancing quality that reminds me of Van Gogh's irises. Irises do bloom two (or more) on a stalk, so no problem there, and you've really captured the way they lean over the sidewalk. Sometimes, especially after a rain, the tops are so heavy it causes them to lean so far that they break off right at the ground.

And thank you very much for your compliments on mine! Retaining the freshness and energy of a sketch throughout a painting is very difficult, I think, and I often lose interest in a painting once that's gone. I certainly often feel that the first strokes are the most honest. Adding to them often, in my opinion, seems to create an artificiality that, although it creates detail or needed light and shadow, brings the painting down instead of improving it. That's certainly a skill I need to master!