WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - May 2015 - Celebrating Spring

My friends had beautiful geraniums in their outdoor flower bed. This is based on a photo by Diane Fountaine. It is a 5 x 7 on Richeson paper using Rembrands and Richesons. C&C eagerly sought.

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Norma, what a beautiful blossom! The halo is not bothering me.

JAY
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Robert, Looking forward to see where you go with that exciting underpainting!

Norma, I like both of your flower paintings! It took me a while to find the "halo" - so I guess it isn't bothering me either!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma46
This spring my neighbor's hybiscus was glowing. Here is my attempt. This is 5x7 on dark green St. Armand sabertooth from a pastel paper sampler from Dakota. Used Rembrands and Senneliers. I know I need to blend out the green halo I have created from sharpening the edges of the petals. C&C always welcomed.

This is great! I have a small suggestion on blending out that green halo - just use that same green and extend it irregularly nto leaf shapes or the spaces between leaves, use it to negative paint some leaf shapes like shadowed leaves showing between them. That can break up the halo effect without your needing to bring the lighter greens right up to the petals. Gorgeous hibiscus! Very dramatic painting, I like it! Go you!

Also I love your little geraniums on a brick planter painting. That is fabulous, finite perfection. I only spotted the halo on the previous because I was looking for it and described what I do with those. This one, the geraniums, do not change one stroke! It's beautiful and cheery!

Love that blazing color and characteristic form. Wonderful little bright gem!

And now, here it is! Today I finished my 5 x 7" underpainting with new pastels!

Flowering Trees
5" x 7"
Holbein pastels and Winsor & Newton watercolor
on white X-Fine Pastel Premier sanded pastel paper
Photo reference by DAK723 for May 2015 Pastel Spotlight

I like the Holbeins. A little softer than Rembrandt, basically soft end of the medium category, just firm enough for some nice detail even working small. Loved how they scumbled on the fine grit paper. Nice color range for a 36 color set too.

I didn't do the Colourist method here but still kept some principles in mind. Worked more like Johannes working each area at a time, sky to trees to background to foreground. Had fun variegating colors within value areas and kept a violet influence along with some golds and orange-browns in the green grass.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 AM

Happy geranium painting Norma. Very nice.

Robert: What a beautiful spring!! I love how you did the white tree in particular.

JAY
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Immortalized

Everyone has done such beautiful paintings!

Jay, I love your water scene! The trees, water and reflections are gorgeous! I think the perspective on the shack may be a little off, but should be an easy fix. Terrific colors in the painting, though, and the grass just glows.

Norma, your hibiscus is absolutely perfect! Beautiful colors and composition. I really like the geraniums, too, but I think a few of the closest flowers could use a but more detail. I love the foliage, and that brick work is perfect!

Robert, such a gorgeous white tree! I commented in Gallery that I thought it needed a little refining in a few spots, but you replied you've already got it matted and hung. I envy your decisiveness in knowing when a painting is finished!

I have been busy with spring yard work and home maintenance but managed to do a painting this morning of Don's forsythia bush. It's 8" x 10" on stone paper. I started with a sketch in water soluble crayon and a water brush then finished with mainly soft pastels.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 04:35 PM

Lovely forsythia Blayne. The Lane looks so cool and relaxing. I think I even hear the splash of a fountain at the end of the path. Lovely.

JAY
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Immortalized

Thank you, Jay! Seeing it on WC, I'm thinking the surrounding area needs more sunlight. The forsythia seems very bright.

Robert, I forgot to say that I found your comment very interesting, that, "you should be able to grid a painting with two inch squares and somethng should be going on in each square like a mini painting." I'll try to remember that!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Blayne, you just made me smile. Growing up in Rhode Island, I remember the gorgeous forsythia bush in our front yard. Lovely!

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Immortalized

Why, thank you, Karen! I'm glad my painting brought back a nice memory. And nice to see you in the Spotlight! I can't recall whether I ever saw forsythia bushes in southern California.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Robert - Very bold and colorful!

Blayne - Nicely done! You've managed to capture the both the essence and the detail of the forsythia very well! Not easy to do!

Don

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Immortalized

Thank you very much, Don! And I must congratulate you on your well-mannered (well-pruned?) forsythia bush--assuming the photo you posted is of your own bush. Mine is sprawling uncontrollably, taking root wherever a branch touches the ground! I've read that they must be pruned down at the base, otherwise several branches will spring from where you cut a branch. Another garden chore for me, unless I want a yard full of forsythia!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Blayne, yours came out lovely. I like that underlying hint of blue in everything, it's subtle but there! Great Forsythia, like Don said, you captured the character of the bush perfectly. Cool path winding off into the distance and great supporting foliage. Well done!

Purr thanks for all the comments on my flowering trees. I'm still fond of this theme and may go at it again before the month's over!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne
Thank you very much, Don! And I must congratulate you on your well-mannered (well-pruned?) forsythia bush--assuming the photo you posted is of your own bush.

Alas, no, it is not my forsythia! I have no gardening skills and I live in a townhouse - a perfect combination!

Don

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Immortalized

Thank you very much, Robert! I may have another go at painting my mock orange. It's in full bloom now.

Don, at this time of year, a condominium and no yard chores sound pretty good! If y'all don't hear from me, it's because I got lost in the tall grass in the back yard trying to get to the mock orange.