WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight - May 2015 - Celebrating Spring

Melinda, Nice photos! Looks a bit different than spring in Rochester, NY! Although we tend to have winter or summer weather, too! It was 80 degrees the past two days! May snow is out of the question, however!

Jay, That underpainting is looking good! I tried a watercolor underpainting on sanded paper once and it looked like a bunch of blobs! Yours is quite recognizable!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

But Don! That was a painting of a bunch of blobs!!! Thank you. I forgot to say it's tiny. 6x8? Kind of a trial of sorts. Time will tell!

JAY
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow. Now I'm even more impressed and maybe inspired... I think Pastel Premier stands up well to water and gets sticky on alcohol... pretty sure it's that way round...

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Robert: please be inspired. That's fun. I'll have to work on the underpainting with nupastels I guess or Girault. Tiny. Finish in pencils I guess.
Today is my husband's birthday and our family is coming to celebrate for him, this weekend, plus Mother's Day for me. So busy busy..no time for painting.

JAY
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Immortalized

Hi, everyone! Just waving as I pass by because I've been too busy to chat or paint. Beautiful daffodils, Robert. The background is really gorgeous, too. Jay, your underpainting promises great things ahead! And, Melinda, the photos are beautiful! I'll try to get something done next week.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2015, 03:10 PM

Shhh, I found a few minutes to paint. Don't tell...This is Uart with watercolor background. 6 x 8 inches. Hard pastels only with a few Art spectrum. C and C most welcome.
Attached Images

JAY
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2015, 05:53 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ooooh this is beautiful! Going to keep going or call it done? If you're keeping the sky overcast with that bright gray, I'd suggest giving it a bit of gradient and play with irregular shapes of values within it like overlapping clouds. Scumbling tints of orange, green and violet over each other with a few touches of primary tints (especially pinks) can be very effective at creating a pearly, variegated gray. Mute complements in the clouds till they're just subtly shifting back and forth in hue within areas of value. Even smooth overcast skies have little or large areas of irregular shapes lighter or darker where clouds are thinner or thicker.

In some of my classes Johannes Vloothuis said that you should be able to grid a painting with two inch squares and somethng should be going on in each square like a mini painting (not necessarily with a good composition). Some changes of shape and value and color should be in every square. Large flat areas bigger than that can be distracting. Back when I was following photos more literally I often left skies flat or a simple gradient blue, this one I'd add cloud shapes that are flattened and irregular. They don't have to be much darker, one value step darker would do it, just hue and value variegations to make the sky more interesting without making it stand out like the white boat. I think I see hints of hue and value shifts but they're too subtle, overall effect is "solid cloudy whiteness."

Photos also read as white skies by camera limits, so the sky may have been darker and more varied in reality or even a gradient blue. It looks good overcast. I'm just babbling on in depth about the same suggestion, sharing all my reasons for it. Everything else in the painting looks so good. You could refine it farther or not. You could get in a little more detail in focal area and maybe model the white boat a little more with gray-blue shadows or shadows reflecting adjacent color into grayish. Depends on sky really.

But that is optional and it'd stand as it is.

Love how this is going!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks Robert. I can see where I can improve the sky. After waiting a few days, I'll go back to it. I see some things I can improve. The blue on the old lobster boat might be too bright. Slowly slowly, requires thinking since it was largely invented. (Based on the ref I put up, of course.) Thanks so much for taking the time. I appreciate the suggestions!!!!

JAY
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2015, 02:53 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jay, Your painting is looking good! Robert makes a good point about skies in photos. They are often overexposed and turn whiter and lose details because of that.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Thanks Don. I'll be working on it. Several areas.

JAY
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Flowering Tree underpainting
5" x 7"
Winsor & Newton Artists' watercolour
Pastel Premier X-fine grit white sanded pastel paper.
Photo reference by DAK723

Planned my flowering tree scene, gave it a purple underpainting to make the greens sing. Unfortunately the purple in that watercolor set is a reddish one, had wanted something like Dioxazine but this worked and may set off green better. Rearranged some of what's in the scene and will be playing with more flowers on different plantings that look brown or gray in the scene, fluff out that one forsythia next to the tree with more flowers on it.

I have lots of good tints in my Holbeins set so will be using those new pastels in this. Going to have fun here!

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Wow everyone's going great guns for spring! So happy I decided to drop by. Just the pictures of daffodils (wonderfully painted by Robert), so bright and cheery!

Also incredible watercolor work Robert and Jay!

And gorgeous bromeliads Melinda! One of my favorite memories of Florida is watching the gi-normous cruise ships going in and out of Biscayne Bay. But hot and sticky it was too

Robert, one of your pix has pink/mauve colored flowers at the bottom, I think those are snapdragons? We have those in a park closeby and I love them!

Looking forward to seeing more of these sunny paintings!
Kris
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yes, there are pink snapdragons and mauve ones and red ones and yellow ones in that photo, congrats for spotting them! I love that patch in the garden, it's always got flowers like that. There's also dark red-violet pansies or violas in it too. Lots of pink geraniums behind them. All the garden flowers more than flower shop ones.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Chuas2, thank you.

Robert, super underpainting. That is going to be so beautiful! Beautiful already.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. Warm wishes to everyone

JAY
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

This spring my neighbor's hybiscus was glowing. Here is my attempt. This is 5x7 on dark green St. Armand sabertooth from a pastel paper sampler from Dakota. Used Rembrands and Senneliers. I know I need to blend out the green halo I have created from sharpening the edges of the petals. C&C always welcomed.