WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Re: The Spotlight - April 2015 - Atmospheric Perspective

This is my first attempt in the soft pastel landscape. Tried to make atmospheric perspective. Student grade pastel (Faber Castell) and Lana paper for pastels.

Last edited by Midian : 04-03-2015 at 03:49 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM
SC

Hails from United States

Ok first time ever doing a landscape so be nice😜. C and C please though!
Attached Images

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

First??? Well, you certainly seem proficient to me! Great sense of landscaping , shadows, sunlight...on and on , nice job.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Midian: you did it! Your mountains go back and back and back. Nice!

Calley: fresh and lovely! What a nice job!!! I think your foreground is exceptional.

Welcome to you both

JAY
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Midian, sorry I simply overlooked your first landscape. And well, you did just as Jay said you have succeeded in pushing the view into the distance. Good job.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Blayne, Nice job on the foggy trees! Lot's of depth - especially as you have changed color (especially color temperature) as you changed distance!

Ural, Another nice rendition of the foggy trees! And I like your apple paintings!

Norma, And yet another nice rendition of the foggy trees! I see a nice change of value as the trees recede!

Midian, Thanks for joining us! Great job for a first landscape - and you've handled the atmospheric perspective very well!

Calley, Another wonderful first landscape! And you have done a great job exaggerating the atmospheric perspective, separating the main tree from the background trees on the left!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Immortalized

Ural, your trees are beautiful, with very interesting shapes, and you got a real sense of the branches sweeping down in front of the trees. They definitely have the appearance of being in fog. I really like the second rendition of the apples, too! This version looks more completed, and the apples have more 3-dimensional form, I think.

Norma, your trees have interesting, natural shapes, too, and I don't think they look pasted on. As to adding different values, I used the edge of different, square pastels to create some vertical lines in mine. You did a great job on that grass and in creating atmosphere.

Midian, so glad you joined us! You really did a terrific job showing atmospheric perspective! Those trees on the left have beautiful shapes, and I like the reflections of those grasses in the water.

DrBear, your first landscape is lovely! For a first, I think your choice of greens is fantastic--you seem to have found the "right" greens among your pastels, which is such a difficult thing to do when beginning landscape painting, I think. You've done a really nice job showing sunlight on the grass and tree tops, and I like the impressionistic handling of the shrubs and flowers in front. Critique? That is a nice, dark tree shadow extending to the left, but it may be just a bit too dark. However, I'm NOT sure, so don't change it without going outside on a sunny day with your value finder! Perhaps someone else will weigh in on the issue, but I've read that shadows in photos, and even in direct observation, appear darker than they really are. Your shadow appears correct at the base of the trees but grows darker as it extends out.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Immortalized

Sorry I missed your comment, Don--we cross-posted. Thank you! Funny, I don't recall consciously thinking about color temperature, but stumbled into choosing the right colors anyway? Lucky break! And thank you for the inspiring photo!

I overlooked your comment, too, Ural, so thank you! Yes, great minds...
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 09:05 AM
SC

Hails from United States

Thank you everyone I really enjoyed this challenge! I almost through it out midway through and then I started worrying that I was overworking it. I really tried to be lose its the first time I've been able to do a complete painting without finger blending everything!
Blayne I think you are right about the shadow I used my darkest green to make it so I could keep the values right. Don thank you for your compliments! It was hard to keep the trees on the left so light! Thank you so much for this lesson! It came at the prefect time for me I will be traveling to San Fransisco and Hawaii in a few weeks and I'm going to try plein air while there! Oh and Blayne I used my blue earth greens I love them!
Jay thank you! You are always so encouraging to me! I want you to know you really have touched me and had a very positive effluence on my art. It means so much to me that you reached out to me and that you always comment on my posts! It hasn't gone unnoticed I really appreciated it!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Blayne, Don, thanks for the compliments, ( I do struggle but it is fun!)

OK, here's a'nuther un... I just can't seem to get three depths!! dang!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Immortalized

DrBear, glad my critique didn't run you off! I haven't tried the Blue Earth pastels yet. Glad you like them.

Ural, you're churning these out like a pro! Your foliage is lovely, very dramatic. And that psychedelic yellow sky! Just lean a little harder on those lavender pastels to get some darker values in the mountains?
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Oh Stink!...I just wrote out all my comments on the new beautiful works, went to submit mine....and lost it all.
Will try again..please forgive me for not rewriting all the comments...

whew! at least this came back...and Ural...you got the sailboat, although it's placed a bit differently, as I had cropped some of the water in front...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Judib, I have done that before grrr....
But see, you can do a sail boat. I can see the color in the sails even though we know how colors are displayed here on WC. You sure got the distant mountains right. Good job.

Last edited by ural jones : 04-04-2015 at 03:58 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Immortalized

JudiB, I've had the same thing happen and know how frustrating it can be. I, for one, shall assume that in the lost comment, you simply RAVED about my painting, begging to buy it, offering any amount of money even if you had to mortgage your homes and sell your yacht to raise money to buy it. Alas, I must refuse all offers due to it having been snapped up immediately by the world's most famous museum (which shall remain unnamed--terms of confidentiality in the contract, you know). But thank you SO very much for your elaborate praise! (One can dream, can't one?)

I see you have a beautiful sailboat in addition to your yacht. Oh, how gorgeous it would be to be on that boat in that lovely setting, sailing toward the misty mountains! You did a beautiful job on this! The setting looks very real, with those perfect greens you used in the foliage, and I like the blurred hints of things in the distance--perhaps another boat or boats, maybe buildings on the horizon. Very pretty!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Oh Blayne...HaHaHa..Of COURSE that's what I said....and how saddened I am not to be able to purchase it! and thank you for your kind words on my lake scene...
Ural...yeah, I almost didn't do it, but your words rang in my ears, and I had no choice and by the way, your tomatoes look good enough to eat!

So tomorrow on to the next challenge...not quite sure which yet...but will decide tomorrow...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB