WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 05:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Spotlight - April 2015 - Atmospheric Perspective

It does look like cold and snow. You're right Don. Distant mountains in snow. Isn't this the scenes of winter spotlight?

JAY
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 AM
SC

Hails from United States

I have a question about painting scenes like this that are of the ocean or beach...it seems to me that the breaking waves make the water closer in the foreground lower and value and the ocean darker in color and value. Am I correct in this? How do you approach this?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Valley, there is some wonderful teaching over on the maritime thread and also on YouTube by some of the best WC sea painters.

JAY
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you to each of you!
Jay, I am glad it wasn't the dust but the Meds.! Thanks for to compliments! It is Fun!
Judib, thank you, but you must do the boat. You don't have to be perfect but trying is what matters.
Cali thank you , we do have fun with it do we not?
Don, when there is no requirement to be somewhere, one can always get out the 'sticks'.
And when retired, there is no requirement! Yea!
(was that Lake one of the Finger Lakes?)
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbear
I have a question about painting scenes like this that are of the ocean or beach...it seems to me that the breaking waves make the water closer in the foreground lower and value and the ocean darker in color and value. Am I correct in this? How do you approach this?

I'm glad you mentioned ocean and beach scenes! There have been a couple threads about painting scenes at the beach or ocean and large seas and the effects of atmospheric perspective that I recall. The question arises because beach and water scenes often seem to work differently than land scenes. Sometimes the water gets darker in the distance. The fact that water is transparent and the sand or bottom of the sea is visible in the foreground has an effect on the color of the water. Waves definitely play a part in both the color and the detail that we see. The curvature of the earth even maters as it limits how far we can see out into the ocean when standing on the shore - which limits the effects of atmospheric perspective.

Here is some discussion on the subject:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613638

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1307201

I think that from some of the photos in these threads we can say that sometimes the principles of atmospheric perspective work well for ocean and beach scenes, but sometimes other factors play a bigger role. These types of scenes - it seems to me - are ones that careful observation is really important!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Immortalized

I'm so envious that four beautiful paintings have already been posted! And the three landscapes are the same crop I had decided on if I do that photo.

Ural, your painting is gorgeous, with not only perfect atmospheric perspective but a lovely boat! Small crit is that I think the boat would look better if pushed (sailed, actually ) into the Rule of Thirds position, but that's a pretty nitpicky crit.

Norma, I love the colors in your painting--those greens are gorgeous. You did a superb job showing atmospheric perspective, too! I agree with Ural that a boat would be a lovely addition.

Jay, yours is another great landscape, but I'm seeing a beautiful snow-covered meadow there, too, instead of water. That just is a wonderful example of what an artist can do with using a photograph as a stepping off point instead of something that must be slavishly adhered to. I like the sort of foggy atmosphere you've added, too, adding another element to the perspective, and love the greens in the foliage.

DrBear, I hope you join us in the Spotlight!

I'm uploading a WIP, 12" x 12", and want someone to please break my arm before I destroy it with details.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
SC

Hails from United States

I'm going to do it!! I will start on it today when I'm through with my surgeries for the day. I'm not sure which one I should try. And I think I'm going to try an alcohol wash for the first time too!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

Calley, happy to have you. Will be fun.

Blayne, consider it done. I will say no more about your arm. THAT is a really cool painting. Wow. Good work. I'm going to capture the picture so I can look closer on my iPad. I love it.

JAY
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Immortalized

Thanks SO much, Jay! You've echoed my feelings about it being a strange unfinished painting that somehow looks finished. I'm going light on it. Thank you for responding so quickly before I ruined it!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ural, oh I like yours! Moody, dramatic and lots of atmospheric perspective. Your choices of hues and the strong atmospheric perspective give the sense of chill moisture, while the variations in the water values hint at deep currents and motion under the stillness. This is fantastic. Not only distance but a stunning impression of weather in yours! That variation in the water is even more effective than a gradient plane, the water lays flat and recedes far!

Norma, very nice! I like the variations in the water, thanks for mentioning camera color distortion because bluer water will increase the sense of a bright day. Love those vivid near yellow green trees and their variations. Love the blue-green farther ones and cooler, browner hills.

My only suggestion either for next time or to improve this painting is to break up the smooth horizontal far shoreline with projections and inlets, vary it to create a more melodic line. Pull some trees forward and push some back with the water tucking into little coves and curves and irregularities.

They donít have to be deep, they could be about as deep as the dark line going up or down a line width. Also deep darks could connect and come up between tree trunks or under trees by negative painting. Not too far, no more than the fartthest one being 1/4 or 1/3 the height of the tree.

I disagree on the boat and think your painting doesnít need it at all. Itís about trees and water and distance as it stands, very relaxing and looks like Iím out there alone without anyone intruding on my reverie. A boat would break the shoreline but it would work better to just put some boulders on the shore, little inlets, protrusions, other natural forms.

The sand bank or islet in the near ground reads true with its baby trees looking just like what they are, seedlings grabbing a patch of new land that just washed up by slow accumulation. Warmer hints in the water are effective and would be subtler with bluer water.

Jay! Brrrr! Wow, bitter cold but such prismatic snow! Love the sense of snow blowing around making an even more dramatic recession than mist. Love the patches of it on the trees. You used texture to such dramatic advantage and the warm colors in the sky defining those hard to see hills is so perfect for heavy snow lowering visibility. It rocks!

Ural, your still life is lovely! Itís hard to see much atmospheric perspective but the recession is well established in shape and shadows. Lovely shadows picking up reflected color and wonderful cool reflections of the light surface on the apples. Theyíre well rounded and lively! Yum!

Blayne! Beautiful atmospheric perspective, grand foggy day with short visibility. Love the trees and sense of filtered strong light. Definitely a heavy mist and thatís an interesting tight crop, which also suggests low visibility and a feeling of mystery.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Immortalized

Ural, I'm sorry I forgot to comment on your apples. You did a superb job on them!

Robert, thank you for your kind words!

Here's the final--for today, anyway. Hope I didn't mess it up.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Blayne, thank you regarding my apples. They do appear a bit dif. IRL. And, thanks for the sailboat advise.
I really like your misty forest and the depth you added to the trees! The variation in color is a nice touch!
Funny how great minds seem to work in the same direction! I did the misty forest also!

Last edited by ural jones : 04-03-2015 at 11:37 AM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

I attempted the trees. Seemed like it would be relatively easy, but I found it very difficult. My tree trunks look like they were pasted on to the grass and I don't have much value differentiation. Advice?

Thisis on light blue Richeson Premier: 9x12

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 PM

Blayne, is it safe now? It's beautiful.

Ural..wow, dense fog. I think I see a person hiding behind the second tree from the right. Nice soft-looking trees.

Norma..(gosh I'm so jealous of you all!!!). I like the back trees very much. Maybe the nearest tree, you could find some flaws in the bark? Some distress. Add some ground weeds by the trunk to break it up? Why not google trees in fog and get some ideas of how they look? Easy for me to sit here and make suggestions..I'm not the one with the pastel in my hand.

Robert. You are very sweet about my snow painting. I won't tell you it was really a badly done lake. I won't say it!!! Thank you so much.

JAY
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Norma, your trees look pretty good, just as Jay says break up the
bottoms a little w/ grassy places. I'd also add this~ use a different,
lighter color for each tree that you see changing. And, do not line
up the tree limbs from one tree to the other or they will look strange
indeed. Just move ea. limb out of the line of the other.

I had to try the apples once again, not much improvement though... oh well, used up another day.