WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States
Scratchy Corner - October 2014

Time for a new Corner

Hope the first few days of October have been good for everyone!

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States
Re: Scratchy Corner - October 2014

So far, so good. Spent 3 days at the ocean at Bodega Bay in N. Calif. Did some scratching with the sound of the waves hitting the beach and a fog horn sounding--couldn't be better!! Boats going by, good food.... Taught 2 friends about scratchboard, they really like it and are doing quite well.

Hated to come home, and I live in a wonderful area, but nothing beats the sounds of the ocean!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Well I feel like it has been ages since I posted on here! Sorry! Life has just been hectic! On the whole life has been crazy, but good. Pull up a chair and some popcorn...afraid this might be a novel.

Tanzania (way back in July-Aug) was fantastic! I took like 12,000 photos, but have barely had time to start sorting through them. We saw the big 5, plus lots more: 350 bird species (give or take), watched lions hunting, a mongoose trying to drown a large bird, cheetah, etc. And best of all spending time with my family (ok well maybe not best, but a nice plus

Came home from that trip and had an art fair the following weekend. I took second place two dimensional booth and did relatively well at the show.

The opening for the Society of Animal Artists show was the next weekend and lots of my very good friends came into town. It opened in Denver this year. I got to play tour guide as we went to many of the top wildlife spots in the state for photos.

Shortly after SAA I flew out to Wisconsin for Birds in Art. Always a fun weekend seeing friends and meeting the public. The show treats the artists very well. After I got home I got an email from the Woodson Museum that they would like to purchase my work (8"x10" of a Macaw)! Yeah! I also found out that a work had sold from another show in Vermont! Double yeah!

Fast forward to last weekend where I had a show in Southern, CO. Each artist can bring up to 10 originals. I sold three! The show on the whole looked like a really big success this year with about 70-80 works sold all together by about 30 artists. Rodman came with me to my show and we had a lot of fun.

My most exciting news though is that I have been offered an artist residency at the Hiram-Blauvelt Wildlife Art museum in New Jersey. It won't start until next April, but it should be an exciting adventure. It will be one year long, and possibly extended to two years. I think I will be close enough to drive to next years ISSA show!

Whew.... I think I need a nap now! Haha...

Working on lots of art, several paintings, finished a few scratchboards. Unfortunately I have not had time to comment much on postings here, but lots of great new work being posted!

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

That's wonderful news, Cathy... It's great to see such a marvelous artist get recognition like that. The residency sounds like a dream.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States

Cathy, that residency is quite the opportunity. It will be fun to hear of your duties and adventures through that year or two. It will bring quite a change for you. Congratulations! And also congrats on the sales!

For me, I've been in a slump for a month or so. I now have 5 unfinished pieces that I may or may not go back to - sandpaper sounds like a solution some days. I've been an artist too long to get stressed about a slump. They happen, then it changes and I move forward. My studio is still unfinished (my fault, not my husbands) and fall is always a busy time in the yard and garden. And then there is the daily 8 hours of keeping my almost 3 year old grandson company...I REALLY try to keep my sharp objects out of his view. He's a really curious little guy So these are all either reasons or excuses! But this week I want to get going on something that heads in a new direction and maybe that will help.

Last edited by SandeVBL : 10-06-2014 at 07:41 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2014, 11:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

What a fantastic year, Cathy! Congrats. Sandra, three year olds in any species are a handful. Can't wait to see what comes up when the slump goes away.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Fantastic news, Cathy! You deserve and have earned every bit of it!
The artist in residence project sounds amazing

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Wow Cathy... what a tornado of uplifting life happenings! So happy for you. I hope everything keeps going your way
Yep Sande, we all go through slumps. You'll get there
Geez Ann, I feel like a slacker seeing what all you've been doing.
I'm getting back into the swing and off my artistic duff. Have some things to do Before year's end.
Happy creating, y'all!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Cathy, been wondering what you have been up to. You have had one heckuva year, that is sure. Congratulations!!

Sande, slumps come and go as you well know. Sometimes the time of year or just the weather will affect our desire to create. I was working on a huge commission that was not to be so lately have been doing lots of small 4x4s that take only a few hours each. Great for the ego and to get the creative juices going again Perhaps just a small one or two can help get you going again.

Shirl, I missed your booth at the Draft Horse Classic. Bad knees and the venue is too large to walk comfortably for me.

I entered Blue Moon into the draft horse classic and got a 3rd in the Anything Goes (any medium). Ann Ranlett got first in the same category. Congratulations, Ann!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Congratulations Cathy, sounds wonderful!!

Sue and Ann congratulations on your your entries.

A small brag for me, I entered two pieces in the Bismarck Art Galleries Association Fall Art show and both "Majestic Beauty" and "Lone Wolf" were awarded Juror's Choice Awards.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Congratulations Cathy, how exciting with the residency.

Sande, I thought for a minute you were writing about me. Slumps are pretty disconcerting as they are never the same and it's hard to figure how long they will last.

Sue and Ann, congrats also.

Congrats, Greg. Always nice to get some rewards for all the hard work.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Testing . . . is this thing on?

Tried to upload an image in another thread and it didn't take.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I'm here!
Just notified today that I had a painting juried into the Village Circle, a Cary, NC Gallery show. "Carolina on My Mind" - begins Friday Oct. 31st. I also have 4 scratchboards in an International Show at Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital, Malvern, Pennsylvania. "Art Ability 2014" is for artists with disabilities and is close to my heart. Sales from this show go to help other patients with their rehab needs. Reception is Saturday, November 1st. Wish me luck!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Sounds like everyone is having a good end of the year! yay!!

This coming weekend I will be part of San Dimas Wildlife Show. November 7, I will be holding a scratchboard workshop in Mesquite Nevada.

In our last art exhibition for Southern Utah Art Guild, I found out that my Stalking Lion Cub got People's Choice! I was Juried into an art show in Mesquite NV and again in St. George UT.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

More great news for scratchboarders and the things they scratch .

I'm working on a small crane drawing for the art show at the annual Sandhill Crane Festival that's held in a nearby town. I knew I wouldn't have much time this year, so unlike last year's 9" x 12" monster of a board, this one is a 5" x 5". Friday's the deadline, I'm close to finishing.

I also have a handful of pet portrait commissions to finish in time for Christmas. Two of those are scratchboard, one's a pair of dogs, the other is a friend's new Harley (a portion of it anyway - a crop of part of the tank and the engine).

On Saturday, my friend and I are going to visit Diana Lee during her open studio event. But first, we're going to the skull exhibit at the Cal Academy of Sciences in SF. I'll be taking LOTS of photos of the skulls!

Last edited by PaintDog : 10-15-2014 at 12:07 AM.