WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
NY

Hails from United States
Re: Help if you have trouble with Abstracts

I remember I used to have a friend that made some amazing expressionistic paintings....until one day I see he makes realistic ones,not bad,but it was like I was looking at some photos and not art.Then I asked him why such a sudden change of style and he told me that his abstract art got him into depression because it was very draining and so he switched to realistic things and painting what he sees in front of his EYES is calming and relaxing.And then it struck me that...yes abstract art is far more demanding than other types and it takes not only brush strokes and color management but also a constant look deep inside your soul-and that's hard believe me.Because what you see there is not only a "tree" for ex...is(or could be) a symbol,a personal symbol maybe an archetype a sudden memory, a flash back,a connection with your darkest emotions and instincts and if it happens to come out as a simple line...well that's like a sigil for that particular experience that you just had.And then I hear people saying abstract is not art...oooh boy...they know nothing about art and what is like being an artist then...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2015, 05:06 AM

Hails from Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeea
I remember...

Thanks for this story, very interested!

I think its very hard to do abstract art full of happyness and enjoy. Often its question about artists inner world and troubles in it.
Well, each person have own path and own interests, some people dont interested in abstraction, but for some its a way for the expression of ownself.

For me genre of art isn't metter. It can be a classic or contemporary, important only how to go - with opened heart or with closed mind. First way open new horizonts, second will close all of the doors.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Immortalized

Medeea, a very interesting story. It really resonates. I think the biggest difference between realist painters and us is that they have the luxury of always having something to paint - whether the muse is with them or not. Whereas depending on our mood/state of mind we can be flooded with ideas or just blocked with not a muse in sight

laf-art.com | Prints | [url="https://www.facebook.com/LAF.Art"]FB[/U
Instagram laf.abstracts
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Don't get me wrong...I also do realistic things as a way to improve myself and I do it because I need to improve my technique.To me a good artist is always a good technician but a good technician is not necessarily a good artist.There are a lot of people out there that copy/paste photos ...and you know what?is not hard to do and this doesn't makes you an artist(for ex I am working right now on a realistic leopard charcoal that I try to copy paste from a photo...am I an artist if I do that?NO). What makes one an artist(in my opinion) is the ability to show what he/she sees with his inner self in that photo or that landscape that he/she's looking at right now.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Could someone recommend basic software that would let me stitch together two scans into one picture? Most of my watercolors won't fit on my scanner and I have to do them in two parts, but Windows Paint (that I use) doesn't have the stitching feature. -Patrick
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:01 AM
Florida US

Hails from United States

I would recommend you watch YouTube Video and know how & from where to start. If you want example you can choose online

hope this can help you
Thank you
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan USA

Hails from United States

Youtube is a wonderful place to get free tutorials,lessons, color info such as color theory, color wheel and using it . Check out Michael Lang he is amazing and for a twist check out scott naismith he is a Scottish land scape artest and mix lang is a great abstract artest.they are my favorites at this time and learning from them is a welcome challenge.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan USA

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Help if you have trouble with Abstracts

Everyone is right if you have the want you can do,abstract to me is emotion,and direct from the soul. I use it as a window into my mind if you get what ever it is I have created than it is humbling yet gratifying at the same time. So I say pick up some paint and brushes and something to put it on and let go,paint loose and use the energy that is waiting to flow from you Palit. Just do it ,go for it.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Re: I have trouble with Abstract

Wow... Thank you for your insight. I am an emerging artist and your comments resonate with me...
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Replicating the world or a photo of the world around you doesn't qualify as representational art for me any more than random careless loose splashes of colour qualify as abstract art. Artists that take these approaches have to produce far more work to get a few strong pieces.

There has to be something in the piece that comes from the artist, whether intellectually driven or emotionally driven. And this "content" is the hard part of creating art. I don't think you can ever escape this difficulty, but some artists find their unique personal contributions to their images flow much more easily out of one genre of art or another. I enjoy both abstract and representational (and the between) but I find abstract more freeing for my ideas and feelings right now.

As artists, I think we need to be careful not to minimize the process, motivation, and resulting work of artists in other genres. I'm often offended when people speak of abstract art as random mark-making, or similar to a 3 year old's scribbles. But it concerns me just as much if someone speaks of representational art as just photocopying the world.

Hopefully your friend is just building the skills needed to do highly realistic work that will one day be amazing art.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

ok . let me stat by saying i am not new to art, i have been painting for over 40 years, usually in oils and in the realist style. i just don't understand abstract ! i have seen some works that were not way out there with pleasing colors and composition that i like, but i would like to know how to appreciate all art. i watch a movie the other nite about Jackson Pollock, and i just have to say i don't get it, dribble paint and slinging paint at the canvas , really, explain to me how that is talent , now i don't mean to put any artist down, but when you spend hours and hours on a beautiful landscape or seascape, and then look at one of his works that sell for high $$$. help me understand .
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 AM

this thread by HAZARTIST is a good one as I , myself , who has an interest in abstract art wants to be the best abstract artist / painter that I can be . I will be spending a lot of time in this particular forum & the answers to her questions in this forum have been helpful to myself .

Last edited by rw1 : 11-30-2016 at 05:34 AM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

is acrylic used more for abstract than oils. i want to try abstract and I mostly paint in oils, but seems like acrylic may be better suited because of the drying time, also what brand and should I buy in tubes or does it come in larger containers

Thanks , Ronnie
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2016, 11:21 PM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW1
this thread by HAZARTIST is a good one as I , myself , who has an interest in abstract art wants to be the best abstract artist / painter that I can be . I will be spending a lot of time in this particular forum & the answers to her questions in this forum have been helpful to myself .
Glad to know you will be spending time in this forum. RW1, let me add my welcome to the many others you will receive here!

Art and Imagination of David L Friend
Dave Friend
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2016, 07:28 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Another suggestion, from moi, (my tablet wanted to type 'moisture'......sigh) is to make the time to look at the world in negative space perspective. You will find all sorts of random shapes. My latest thing is to look at the floor for scrapes and wearing away.

https://www.instagram.com/nisty7kragel2/