WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How many beads do you make in a week?
less than 10 68 11.30%
11-50 290 48.17%
51-100 119 19.77%
101-150 59 9.80%
151-200 34 5.65%
201-250 13 2.16%
more than 250 19 3.16%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2003, 01:11 PM
A Local Legend
Beautiful Colorado

Hails from United States
Hi, Vicki -

It's August 16 - 17 from 10 - 6. It's located just across from Heritage park - Just north and west of Foss Drugs. I believe that there will be 125 or so Artists represented. It really was fun last year.

Are you going to be in town then? If so, please make sure to stop by and introduce yourself - PM me and I'll give you my phone numbers so we can get in touch. I always love to talk beads
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2003, 07:19 AM
Pleasanton, Texas

Hails from United States
[quote]Originally posted by Lampburke
[b]Doing four hundred focals per week is impossible, at least good focals, as Trae can confirm since he/she appears to be a conglomerate of beadmakers much like Pangia with multiple glass artists taking turns at producing the sets on EBay per week.

I do not usually reply to these kinds of posts but it appears that you (Lampburke) are either calling me a liar or telling everyone that I produce junk.

First off in reply to your uninformed comments which I have above. I stated in my original post that I make over 400 focal TYPE (beads with designs or non spacer beads). I feel that my beads are of excellant quality. As my reputation can vouch for. I make them two at a time. I make 30 spacers at a time in under 4 min.

As far as who I am, I left the corporate world as a Global Product Manager for a Medical Manufacturing company to concentrate on glass ART, I started in 1998. I employ my mother-in-law (eBay CRR), my brother-in-law (eBay JDR) and my wife does the admin.
I suggest that you speak only when you know the facts. We do not take turns producing for ebay we all produce and sell what we make on a weekly basis. It is not a conglomerate. Even better Pangia is my father and it is ONLY him producing. I do not think you did much research.

As far as me confirming your notion that what I do is impossible I put the question to back to you "How can you disprove what I said"? Clearly if you look at ebay (my id is gonzie-v3glassworks in case you need it), you will see that anything with just Gonzie in the title is mine. You do the math. Oh yeah, we also have numerous accounts outside of eBay. Do you even have an idea of how much money changes hands in the Lampwork section of eBay???? Did you know that there are now over 68 million people using eBay and that over 59 million is spent on eBay EACH DAY. I do and that is why I left the corporate world.

I do not know you nor do I think that I would confirm anything you say. I do know you have been making beads for a little over a year. I also see that you state on your web page that you will be selling on eBay. Did you not state that you do not even sell your work? Well which is true, do you sell or not????

You would probably make more if you spent less time on this board and more time working. I do this full time and do not appreciate uneducated comments about things people cannot even conceive.

Lastly minion Lampburke I do feel that this type of poll is appropriate for this forum. The question does gather ideas and possibly techniques. If you truly feel that this site should be a "non-commercial" forum then why did you add your web site link where you state you will be selling your beads. Looks to me like you are using it for resell. I do not beleive that I ever added my web site address. Funny huh.

If you are still in disbelief over the number of beads I produce I recommend taking my class where I show people how to make HIGH quality beads at an accelerated pace.

Trae (oh yeah, I am a male).
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Geneva Florida

Hails from United States
When I was making only beads, I averaged about 100 boro beads a night. I work every night, so that would make it about 700 a week. Now I do mostly pendants and average about 10-20 a night. I still work every night, so that would be 70-140 a week. Unless I get a wild hair and go on a sea life kick, and I might average 5 big things (sea anemones, turtles, or octopi, things like that. Now a regular torch section for me is about 4-5 hours. The rest of my time is doing shipping, listing and other paper work stuffs. Am I obsessed? Hyper? Totally Kukukachub? Maybe I need a life, hehehe.

Cool thread! Thanks, I enjoyed reading it

Lori_Robbins eBaY current auctions
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
For some reason, my system is convinced that last post is new, and keeps bumping this thread to the top... anyone else experiencig this?
www.pagan-network.org, the most racist forum on the internet
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Near Spokane WA

Hails from United States
Same here.

Although... with Kalera's post, it was new.

Janet
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Kalera
For some reason, my system is convinced that last post is new, and keeps bumping this thread to the top... anyone else experiencig this?

That will happen whenever someone answers the poll, whether they make a comment on not. Eventually it will fade to the 2nd page! Val
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Whisperwind Farm, MN

Hails from United States
Lets just say..if it wasn't so BLASTED HOT in my studio right now I could make a whole buncha beads....hehe
I work weekends and then post auctions on Mondays...I am pretty much a focal beadmaker. I feel like I am workin' my butt off to be creative and try to do my own thing and do something new everytime I am out there. I end up making about 20/30 beads each day but really only sell about 10-12 focals and maybe a set or two. I can't imagine the brain power and creative energy that is outputted (is that even a word??)..inputted into 400 beady babies....yeowza..I am sucked dry after two days of 40.....
*cheers*
Julia
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2003, 03:25 PM
NC

Hails from United States
I guess I make in the 51-100 range, I usually torch all day on sunday and then a couple evenings a week, as working around a full time job is difficult. I only wish i had the days to spend at the torch instead of in a cube wishing i was at the torch looking at pictures of beads other lucky lampworking artists made at their torches.

I miss my torch during the day. I hear the call...I just can't answer it. And for crying out loud, it's quiet, I should be allowed to bring it in the office. What's wrong with these people? I'd even give them a bead or two.

Saddest part of this is my desktop on my computer. It's a picture of my torch.

Flame On!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
I was just looking at my latest batch of beads and realizing that "how many" totally depends on "what"; today I made probably 50 beads, but half of them are spacers, most of them are these simple but fun streaky/wispy beads I've been into lately, and only a couple have any real ornamentation; 2 florals and 2 dots. I could easily top 300 beads a week this way, but next week I might get obsessed with making organic lentils or barrel beads with tiny rows of raised dots, and my output would slow to a dozen or fewer per week.
www.pagan-network.org, the most racist forum on the internet
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
Okay, I'll add my story just to round things out. I manage to spend *I think* 4 nights a week torching -- but often I can't last more than 2 hours (do I have ADD or something?). I'm starting to be able to work whole days on the weekend -- so far it's only been one of the days each weekend though. Seems like I need the whole Sat. to recupe from the work week.

My vote was in the 11-50 range. One session I was determined to have a good number, so I went at it with 2 beads per mandrel, simple styles - and got back, ida know, maybe 10. But since then I've been spending a LOT of time on each bead! Because I get really disappointed when one side of my bead has a perfect design, but the other side has 2 dots that melted together or something! And I try to "save" each bead somehow, rather than continually starting over.

So I've decided I'd rather end up with some PERFECT beads, no matter how long it takes! It's really sad that after all that time I don't think I can say I have one really perfect one. I really love doing it though, so I figger sooner or later the glass is gonna hafta give in!

blyneth
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2003, 03:03 PM
RI

Hails from United States
I make about 600+ beads a week...

Crazy but true.. It my full time job and I love it.. I spend between 6- 8 hours a day on the torch....
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
I just want to say this thread is really inspiring to me. Makes me want to do longer sessions and produce more. It's like, hearing that so many people can do it makes me think that I can too?

blyneth
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Two.

Kidding
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2003, 10:26 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimberly Affleck
Two.

Kidding

*kasnork* Well that's two more than ME this week, Miss Smarty Britches. LMAO! And I am NOT kidding! Arrrrgh!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States