WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How many beads do you make in a week?
less than 10 68 11.30%
11-50 290 48.17%
51-100 119 19.77%
101-150 59 9.80%
151-200 34 5.65%
201-250 13 2.16%
more than 250 19 3.16%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Immortalized
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by ValorieCox
250 beads 'a week'? Oh my, I've really been slacking here-- Better get to work! Val

Ditto!

Etsy - - - Artfire - - - Blog - - - Twitter
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 04:12 PM
A Local Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
On Average, I make about two-three sets a week...so about 30-50 beads. About 6 of those are what I consider seconds or didn't make it into a set because of size. I can't even imagine churning out more than that. LOL

Am
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Immortalized
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Here is what I made yesterday. I don't make beads every week day nor do I usually make beads on the weekend(I spend time with the hubby on the weekends).

Etsy - - - Artfire - - - Blog - - - Twitter
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Altamonte Springs Fl

Hails from United States
Unhappy

Well between my son(potty training which leaves me in the house and not in the garage where the torch is ) ,job, cleaning and the Honey-do-list that leaves me time enough to make about 20 if I am lucky . I keep telling myself it will be soon He will be potty trained and I will have a new torch!
Heather
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Redwood City, CA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by NYCindy
Jinx,

Your post made me laugh out loud!

Love the picture of Clementine - completely understand the cat with scrunchies on the brain!! - mine is after all the coated rubber hair bands!!!

Yup, I hear that! I have to buy hair bands every few weeks because my kitties hide them and/or rip them apart. In case of emergency, I can usually find a few that they accidentally poked under the linen closet door, and there's usually a good stash under the couch.

They carry them around in their mouths like prey, and usually bring us at least one dead hair band "gift" in the night while we're asleep. A couple of times I've been awake to see the hair band fairy come in and proudly deposit his kill on my husband's chest. Heehee

My torch sessions often start with a hair band hunt and I occasionally have to resort to using the "dead" ones that my kittie-pies have been torturing. Kinda gross, but better than burnt hair!

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Music City, USA

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

I LOVE the 'lead-lined bunker, iced tea in hand' line!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

-Susan
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Enkindled_Spirit

LOL! My thoughts exactly, Pam!

I wish I could make more....but, same as Kalera, my newborn takes up soooooo much time that the housework never gets finished!!!!! I just cant seem to find the time.

How do you busy mommies do it??????

LOL, Jinx! Cute kit.

Well, I do it by not ever doing housework!

Actually, this is partly true; my husband does the dishes and his own laundry, I cook, vaccuum, and do my laundry and the kids'. I plan my entire day, every day, around making beads; the older kids have to be at their dad's house or in pre-school (between the two, I have five days a week when beadmaking is a possibility.) I turn the kiln on in the morning, and then I hold and nurse the baby pretty much ALL DAY, except for the few minutes at a time when I put her down to change a load of laundry or prep some food, until she falls asleep. I spend a lot of this time in front of the computer, of course! I can nurse and type at the same time.

She only takes one long nap during the day, and it's not consistent. When she has been solidly asleep for fifteen minutes, I try putting her down. If she stays asleep, I RUN to the garage and fire up! I have many nutritious snacks like dried fruit and jerky and nuts, in case I have to skip lunch. I usually get to torch for anywhere between one and three hours, and then she wakes up, at which time my husband watches her until I finish my bead. Then I'm done for the day. This only works because DH works at home, though; if he was downtown with a client, I would either set up the monitors and risk losing the last bead of the session, or skip it altogether. I am planning on having a friend of mine babysit a day or two during the week, though, if he does start working downtown more consistently.
www.pagan-network.org, the most racist forum on the internet
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast
cave creek, az

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Enkindled_Spirit

How do you busy mommies do it??????

We've employed my mom who plays with the toddler and likes to clean while he naps (3 hours at a time!!!) and irons while Dr. Phil is on. So even when mom isn't here I get 3 hour stretches a day if I want them. I also hired the neighbor girl who is homeschooled to come play two days a week for a couple hours and give her a few bucks too.

I've been able to produce more beads to sell than I'm paying out. It's not a big profit I make in cash but it's incredible for sanity. We'll see what happens after the second one arrives!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Maryland

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by DrPam
They carry them around in their mouths like prey, and usually bring us at least one dead hair band "gift" in the night while we're asleep. A couple of times I've been awake to see the hair band fairy come in and proudly deposit his kill on my husband's chest. Heehee

Aren't they just hilarious?! Clementine also jumps up on the back of the couch and takes my scrunchie out of my hair with her teeth! Sometimes she misses and bites my head. Ow. Here's a shot of her murdering an innocent tassel.

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 05:12 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzie-v3glassworks
I usually make over 400 focal type (with designs) and over 800 spacers a week. Sometimes more but seldom less. I usually work 4 or 5 days a week to turn out on average 40 sets a week. Would like to work more but even though I love it, making beads gets kinda tedious sometimes.

Trae

I just knew I shouldn't read this thread.

I feel All Powerful if I get 20 beads done in one day. I don't do sets, typically, so that's about 15 individual beads (focals, if you will). Each of those has to be photographed and written up to sell either on my website, at auction or in my eBay Store.

I have been greatly lamenting lately the small fraction of my time that's actually spent at the torch. Seems like I spend most of my time taking pictures or preparing beads for sale.

If I *did* make 400 focal beads in a week (nevermind the 800 spacers!!!), I wouldn't have the time to sell them! Although, if I made that many beads, I guess I would feel like I could have multiple wholesale accounts, which would help me move them along with less time spent.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Honolulu, HI

Hails from United States
Lightbulb

LOL Kalera! My DH would kill me for not doing any housework! I suppose I will have to ask him to be with the baby while I torch. I am afraid to torch while she naps.......she is not consistant. I hate being interrupted on the torch....ruins a nice beadie! I too, spend more time on the computer...easy while nursing.

Good idea Beadnerd! I will employ my mom too!!!

Ciao!
Liz
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: *sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by Tink

I just knew I shouldn't read this thread.

I feel All Powerful if I get 20 beads done in one day. I don't do sets, typically, so that's about 15 individual beads (focals, if you will). Each of those has to be photographed and written up to sell either on my website, at auction or in my eBay Store.

I have been greatly lamenting lately the small fraction of my time that's actually spent at the torch. Seems like I spend most of my time taking pictures or preparing beads for sale.

If I *did* make 400 focal beads in a week (nevermind the 800 spacers!!!), I wouldn't have the time to sell them! Although, if I made that many beads, I guess I would feel like I could have multiple wholesale accounts, which would help me move them along with less time spent.

What you mention is exactly why I don't have any beads up for sale, and am questioning whether I want to sell online at all; it takes so long to manage online listings, not to mention packaging and shipping, that in the end, you might make just as much selling wholesale! I have these beads piling up, and I'm wondering whether to sell them online, or if I should just make the rounds of my local bead shops and boutiques. When the baby is old enough, I want to do shows; until then, I need to find the most time-effective way to sell.
www.pagan-network.org, the most racist forum on the internet
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Clinton western Montana

Hails from United States
My husband Chet makes most of our ebay beads.
He usually cleans & sorts beads until about noon.
Then he will torch until about midnight -- with breaks for taking a short run or bike ride -- changing th hose in the yard-- putting in laundry-- sweeping-- just everyday stuff.

I do all the ebay listings -- putting auctions together, photos, listing, sending bills, leaving feedback, ordering supplies, & packaging for mailing. I most of the rest of the housework & cooking in between if it isn't too busy.

We try to mail every couple of days. sometimes he goes sometimes I go.

We are currently producing about 12 auctions of 6 to 7 beads per day with quite a few left over. Plus there are usually some smaller spacers in there too.

That is a full time job for two people and we don't make hardly any nice focals-- just plain little beads. I could NEVER make a living on making beads for ebay by myself. Chet can do the production work for which I don't have the discipline.
Basically I'm saying our making over 250 beads per week is WORK. It is our JOB because it pays all of our bills.

To compare the number of beads we make with someone making beads in a few spare hours isn't really a comparison.

IF YOU CAN SIT DOWN AT YOUR TORCH AND MAKE ONE BEAD A DAY THAT YOU LOVE --- HURRAY, CHEERS & APPLAUSE. AS LONG AS YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU DO THAT IS ENOUGH.

THIS IS A FANTASIC FORUM FOR LEARNING AND THE INFORMATION FROM THOSE MAKING 250 PLUS BEADS PER DAY
IS NO MORE HELPFUL THAN THAT OF THE ARTIST MAKING 1 PER WEEK OR MONTH FOR THAT MATTER.

JUST ENJOY THE TIME YOU HAVE TO CREATE WHATEVER YOU ARE ABLE. THERE IS NO CONTEST.

our ebay auctions - new items
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:14 PM
A Local Legend
Beautiful Colorado

Hails from United States
With working full-time and working out on Mon-Wed-Fri mornings, I only seem to find time to bead on Tues and Thurs before work. I have the kiln heating by 5 a.m. and make coffee so I can see. Then some days only will make 1 or 2 beads, some days a dozen. It really depends on what type of bead I am working on. Sat and Sun mornings I usually torch from 5-8.

I never seem to be able to get to the torch in the evenings. Right now I'm getting ready for the Golden Colorado Fine Arts Festival in August and can't seem to decide if I need more beads or I need to work on jewelry in the mornings. Guess I'd better get on the stick

Making beads to me is the wonderful time that I get to experiment and I'm off in my own little world! My experiments are usually like Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde..... some work, some don't, some just point me in another direction. I really enjoy the process and if someone likes what I do and adopts a bead it makes me happy.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:47 PM

Hails from United States
when in August is the festival in Golden?