WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How many beads do you make in a week?
less than 10 68 11.30%
11-50 290 48.17%
51-100 119 19.77%
101-150 59 9.80%
151-200 34 5.65%
201-250 13 2.16%
more than 250 19 3.16%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Pleasanton, Texas

Hails from United States
I usually make over 400 focal type (with designs) and over 800 spacers a week. Sometimes more but seldom less. I usually work 4 or 5 days a week to turn out on average 40 sets a week. Would like to work more but even though I love it, making beads gets kinda tedious sometimes.

Trae
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Champaign, Illinois

Hails from United States
Okay, this is scary ... my husband keeps getting freaked out by how many beads I make ... (3 - 10 a session). I need to let him read this!!!

Quote:
I was actually surprised by how little some of you make beads!! I have to have at least ONE day a week that I am a maniac at it or I will shrivel up and die

Okay, I can say the same ... you guys make how many a week????!!!???

oh well, I guess this separates the beaders from the wanna be's ....

And here I was all proud of myself!

Corinne
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2003, 11:01 AM
central PA

Hails from United States
Corinne,
I think a lot depends on the type of beads one normally makes. A lot of my beads take an hour or so, so my numbers are very low most of the time. But... and it's a big but... I'm very happy with what I do. I'm not trying to produce quantity, but have a very highly decorated, time-consuming type of bead that I prefer to make. If I had to make my living at this, I would probably be making a different type of bead and would be making many more, but the time spent and the end product would be less satisfying for me. Everybody had their own reasons for making beads, and their own preferences for types/styles of beads. When I quit worrying about wasting energy/electricity/O2/etc. and just relaxed about what I was doing at the torch and did exactly what I wanted when I wanted, I was much happier with my results.
Cindy

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Well sadly for me I get to make 0 a week right now, I don't have access to my glass or torch, it is all packed up! I have to wait a few months until I find the right house and setup again....so until then I am sadlly without my fun!

But usually I make about 100 a week or so...

Laura
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salt Lake City

Hails from United States
CindyLouhoo,

Your beads are always gorgeous. I am jealous! (and floral impaired!)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Flagstaff, Arizona

Hails from United States
I'm still waiting on my OG-15 generator so I'm not making any beads right now... but I usually make 11-50 personally I think this is a good amount because I detest making spacer beads. I don't really understand the concept of a handmade spacer bead... but I guess I'm just silly that way.

Usually around 30 beads a week, all boro, most large sculptural dahlias or sunflowers, and a lot of focals where I just mess around and have fun. I work about 3 hours a day for 4 days out of the week. I also wish I worked more maybe then I would find the time to try out bullseye glass!

My E-bay Auctions
LLuvia Brito's Website
Boro Bead Gallery

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Kettering, Ohio - South of Dayton

Hails from United States
Bead Poll

I make mostly 6 to 10mm beads for ebay so I make close to 400 a week. I am a bit hyper too. bridget
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Under Witness Protection

Doing four hundred focals per week is impossible, at least good focals, as Trae can confirm since he/she appears to be a conglomerate of beadmakers much like Pangia with multiple glass artists taking turns at producing the sets on EBay per week.

The idea of this Forum didn't start out as how "productive" you could be on the various auction/retail services, it was sharing of ideas and techniques and companionship with someone else whose kitchen/family room was cluttered with drying mandrels. Someone else who understood the term "footprint". There were a great many truly excellent glass artists who once frequented this Forum. I learned a lot from them, and I do dearly miss seeing them.

I wasn't around for the "Great ISGB Fissure" over the subject of sales and online auctions, but I came in shortly after (May, 2002). A good time to join WC, I remember.... <grin and nod to some oldsters>

I don't even SELL my work, but if you want to analyze into N-th detail how many "saleable objects" you can make in thirty minutes, knock yourself out and the auction sites do have very admirable bulletin boards that will allow you to compare figures, honestly. This art form has increased exponentially with the craze for hand made jewelry, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the concept behind this Board, I hope, is still the genuine "non-commercial" sharing of artistic ideas rather than comparing quotas and saleability "factors".

(Leisurely placing the helmet on my head, and sauntering into the lead lined bunker, iced tea in hand.....)

www.WatkinsStudio.etsy.com
"I am Dyslexic of Borg. ~ Resistance is futile. ~ Prepare to have your @ss laminated."

Last edited by ValorieCox : 07-08-2003 at 05:53 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Redwood City, CA

Hails from United States
Holy crap you people make a lot of beads!! I'm in the low range--probably 10-25 beads a week. I only make 5-10 beads in a session, and can usually only get time on the torch once or twice a week. Some of that is because I like focals and some of it is probably an experience issue. Then there's that pesky job I have to go to every day. Oh how I wish I were making beads all day instead!! The biggest inner conflict for me is beads vs. exercise... I need both! Why can't I combine them???

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Champaign, Illinois

Hails from United States
Quote:
(Leisurely placing the helmet on my head, and sauntering into the lead lined bunker, iced tea in hand.....)

LOVE IT!!!!

Corinne
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States
I make between 6 -18 beads per 3-4 hour session. I make beads 3 or 4 days a week. Some days are good glass days and some aren't so good so instead of fighting with the glass, I let it go for that day. Or, I find that all I want to make that day is big big beads so I only make six.

I don't work more than 4 hours at a time because I am so intent on what I am doing, I don't move! I move my hand to turn the bead, but I stay in one position - not good ergonomics. Once I'm done beadmaking, I go and do some yoga for about 45 min.

Anyways, now that I've gone off on a tangent about ergonomics, let me stop here :-)

Cindy
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Dallas/FtWorth, Tx

Hails from United States
Gosh I always feel unproductive because my hands can only take so much before I have to quit. I voted 200-250 but it's probably 250+.
I usually work 3-4 sessions at 8-10 hours each session with a few of my "lazy" sessions at 3-4 hours each.
Rebecca
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Maryland

Hails from United States
The number of beads I make in a week is equal to the number of steps I take from my bed to the shower, minus the number of telemarketing calls I get, times the number of books I read last year divided by the number of my scrunchies and tassels hidden by Clementine. Unless Saturn is in retrograde, in which case the formula is reversed.

Jinx

Last edited by Jinx.Garza : 07-08-2003 at 09:56 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States
Jinx,

Your post made me laugh out loud!

Love the picture of Clementine - completely understand the cat with scrunchies on the brain!! - mine is after all the coated rubber hair bands!!!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Honolulu, HI

Hails from United States
Quote:
Holy crap you people make a lot of beads!!

LOL! My thoughts exactly, Pam!

I wish I could make more....but, same as Kalera, my newborn takes up soooooo much time that the housework never gets finished!!!!! I just cant seem to find the time.

How do you busy mommies do it??????

LOL, Jinx! Cute kit.