WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to outgrow your Hot Head torch?
<1 year (10 - 15 hrs a week) 39 25.32%
1-3 years (10 - 15 hrs a week) 19 12.34%
3-5 years (10 - 15 hrs a week) 2 1.30%
Still using it! 94 61.04%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Hot Head Torch maintanence?

I used an HH for 5 1/2 years although I did not use it as frequently as I would have liked. (My full-time job interfers with my obsessions!) Just this year I went to a Bobcat - only because I wanted to convert to NG since I already have that coming into my home. I loved the HH and rarely did anything to it. If it gets "slower" you may need an oriface. You probably can get one at several places but I always used Karen Stavert at hotglassbeads.com. She uses an HH and is very knowledgable about cleaning/maintainance,etc. (Her husband David Miller does all the orders.) Both emails are available on the website.
I concur about using bulk gas. I always used a 30# tank of MAPP gas and I had a mostly trouble-free 5 years with the torch and gas.
Mary Ann
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Planet Norka ( Akron, OH )

Hails from United States

Well, let's see...I have a little (and I do mean little) wire brush that I use to very gently clean the inside of the torch, then tap the resulting mess out of there, followed by a sweeping out with a little paint brush to remove any bits I've missed. The next time I fire up after cleaning the torch, I give it a minute to kind of "blow out" anything I've missed...I must have been pretty thorough, because nothing ever came flying out of there!

As to outgrowing the torch...yes, I started to get kind of frustrated with it after about six or seven months. The torch operates just peachy, but I needed something with a little more oomph, so I saved my pennies and bought a Carlisle Mini CC. I love my new torch, but I don't see me ever getting rid of the HH. It's always good to have a back up torch. I don't want anyone to think I'm an HH hater, it's a fine torch and can do a good many things, but it's a matter of personal preference and my preference was for a more versatile torch!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Carvel, Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

I have been running my HH about 8 months and have not had to touch it for maintenance. For a tank I use a 13 lb Mapp and when I turn on the tank it is turned on less than 1/2 turn. FYI: a 13 lb Mapp tank lasts me about 5 months of weekend and holiday torching. That work thing.....
Also at the end of each session the line gas is burned off.
Am I looking to change? No. I get great pride in saying that I did "that" with a Hothead.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Ottawa, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Skookum,

what supplier do you get the large MAPP gas tanks from? I asked about that at the welding store here in Ottawa but they did not know of any available? also what kind of hoses (if any) do you use with it?
Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. William Morris
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Carvel, Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Ewdb,
I get my Mapp tank from Air Liquide. I think I also inquired at PraxAir as well. I ended up buying my tank, which was an oopsie because they are supposed to be for rent only. I'm not complaining.
For the hose I use a BBQ connector hose that I bought from Canadian Tire. This was the advice from the industrial gas company.

Hope this helps,
Sherri
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Albuquerque, NM

Hails from United States

I love my hothead. Considering I still bubble glass to smitherines on occasion I can't imagine the damage I could do with something hotter.

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. Albert Einstein
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 PM

What can you use to clean the gunk and scum near the tip (where the flame comes out?) I've had my HH for over a year and have never cleaned it, but I would like to remove some of the build-up at the tip.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
NW INdiana

Hails from United States

Hi! This is my first post. I've had my Hothead only a month and just now when I turned it on it started flairing really orange flame and spitting liquid. My husband turned the tank (propylene) off and tried to bleed the hose, but it keep shooting out a dirty-looking fog. He took it out in the garage and disconnected the hose and it finally stopped. It had apparently built up in the hose. Was that because I wasn't burning off the gas when I turned the torch off? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Diana
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo4
Hi! This is my first post. I've had my Hothead only a month and just now when I turned it on it started flairing really orange flame and spitting liquid. My husband turned the tank (propylene) off and tried to bleed the hose, but it keep shooting out a dirty-looking fog. He took it out in the garage and disconnected the hose and it finally stopped. It had apparently built up in the hose. Was that because I wasn't burning off the gas when I turned the torch off? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Diana

I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't answered you by now. I just got back for m the gathering and found your post.

Yes, not burning of the gas was a significant contributor to the gunk build up. And the gunk has been building up in the hose since the first day used.

Now you need to drain it all out of the hose. Also run the HH with a 1# propane or mapp canister for at least 30 minutes to try and get it cleaned out before going back to the bulk.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't smell some propane just from the normal permeation of gas through the hose, with the hose still "pressurized" over night/day.

Ask DH if he can rig up some thing with a air compressor to blow the gunk out of the hose. Air pressure the end the torch screws on and blow the gunk out the other end that has the hose-to-bulk-tank connector. The end the torch screws on has a schrader valve (tire valve) that will need to be depressed to get air to go in.

Me
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Hartford, CT

Hails from United States

I still use a Hot Head and I have been lamping for over 7 years. It's a trusty torch. I ALWAYS start students on a HH as well.

Just about 2 years ago, we relocated from Florida to New Hampshire (and then to Connecticut later.) I donated my studio to a community college when we left FL. I had to start over with the studio. Since I have a limited budget, we bought a decent kiln as our first priority. (In my opinion, badly annealed beads are a hazard.)

So, I've been using nothing but a HH for the last 2 years. It does seem to take longer to heat and work glass on one and you simply do not have the range of control oxy mix torches offer. Still, for the price it's a great torch.

If you want to see how far you can push the envelope with a HH, please check out my website. That's all HH stuff. Sorry but spammers got to my site and I have to re-write ALL the blogs and tutorials, including the HH ones. Thse will be back soon, when I get a little time.

www.wilygriffin.com
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Eutawville, SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstellen
About a month ago I was having problems with my clear encasing looking dirty & streaky. I tried to take apart my hot head using tips from archived threads, but it wouldn't budge - more than one person tried! So instead I just cleaned the head with some alcohol and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for that piece of info, I am having trouble w/ all my colors getting messy looking. (Colors that have not done that before) Will try cleaning w/ the alcohol.

Sharon
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Kerrville, Texas

Hails from United States

I have been on a HH since I started torching 4 (I think) years ago. Two of those years I had to put my "fiery little friend" into storage while I took care of a few crises and moved back to my home town.

The crises are over and I have settled into my shiny new studio and the HH is working as well as it ever did.

When I was torching before, I was working outdoors and even though I stored the torch away after each use I would end up with spiders nesting inside the head of the torch. (Talk about dramatic - you should see one of these torches going with a spider and web inside - it an awesome and frightening sight! Flame shoots at crazy angles, debris flying out, torch noise louder than ever, etc.)

Anyway, the first time it happened I thought I had broken the torch, I screamed for the husband and he came to my rescue. He knew exactly what was wrong and blew out the head with a high-pressure air hose (while disconnected, of course). That's how I've continued to deal with any debris that clogs the torch since then.

The only thing I don't like about my torch is that it's noisy... to the point where I can't hear anything BUT the torch when it's on. (Are all HHs that noisy?) It's because of the noise and that I would like to work faster that I've often thought of upgrading to a minor burner, but would like to see one in action or give it a test drive before I invest the money.

-Lanza
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikefire
Also, if you are using a bulk tank, be sure to burn off the fuel in the hose - helps keep the hose clean. Propane has an oil in it that can settle in the hose, the bottom of your tank, and in the parts of you torch. Propylene probably has it too. That's just one more possible cause of slow heating and black gunk in your glass. If you hang the hose vertically overnight you might get some of the gunk to drip out. I periodically hang mine from the top of the fence in the backyard. Be sure that you put a paper towel under the hose - that oil is yucky!

I had the same sort of problems with smokey glass and black spots etc. and went through all the messages on the forums looking for solutions - I was told I was holding the work too close down in the flame and I was really fussy about this but still the problem persisted.

However, it wasn't that - and I took it off (after someone on the list said it was the hose) and sure enough that was the problem with the oil remaining in the hose and then when I lit up again this was coming out in the gas and depositing on my beads.
I took the hose to my local gas refill shop and they took it apart, cleaned it all and then suggested that I replace the existing hose for one that has a better lining (it was all too technical for me to remember the exact fa cts!)
which wouldn't break down so much with the gas.
This works and I haven't had any problems for over 12 months or more - touch wood! - One tip I was given by the gas refiller guys - when you have a couple of days off making beads undo the hose and hang it so the hose is reasonably straight and leave it overnight with a thick wad of newspaper underneath - or an old container -
you will be amazed at the amount of oil that comes out ! I left the house for 36 hours at one point and even then there was still a drip of oil hanging there ready to drip. That certainly was proof enough that the culprit for the black deposits on the glass was carbon from the burnt oil!

There is quite an extensive thread on this subject which has some lengthy technical information (I think from Mark Wilson) which is worth printing out and keeping as reference from time to time.
Cheers
Koala.