WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Scavenger Hunt #619: Jan 24 - Feb 1

Welcome to Scavenger Hunt#619

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

The list of -- Scavenger Hunt #619: Jan 24 - Feb 1

Basket -- Challenge#1 with something in it
Bottle
Box
Bowl
Plate or dish

Outdoor seating
Umbrella
Garden sculpture or statue
Instrument
Machine

Hat
Belt
Shoes or sandals
Ring
Accessory

Non-art hobby related
Good time related
Travel related
Health related
Nature related

Blue
Red
Yellow
Multicolor
Animal
Person or portrait -- Challenge#2 -- people sketch like urban setting

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:28 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Scavenger Hunt #619: Jan 24 - Feb 1

Thanks for the new list, Ai
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Hello Ai and everyone . Thanks for the list. Sorry I haven’t been on in a bit. Hope you are all well. Thank you for the list ❤️
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks Ai for the new list. Hi EP and Mary....
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:28 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

wow the last one is over already! Thanks for the new list!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 AM

Hails from Spain

Hello everybody!

Ai, thank you very much for the interesting list.

Joe, muchas gracias for the previous one.

KarmArt, hello! Nice to see you back!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:17 PM

Hails from Spain

1- health related - ink (uni pIn 0.2 pen)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:31 PM

Hails from Spain

Big hugs to Joan T and Jerry. Joan commented on her blog that Jerry is back in hospital with pneumonia. Let's hope there are no more drawbacks and from now on everything goes well.
We keep you both in our good thoughts and prayers.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by individuo
Big hugs to Joan T and Jerry. Joan commented on her blog that Jerry is back in hospital with pneumonia. Let's hope there are no more drawbacks and from now on everything goes well.
We keep you both in our good thoughts and prayers.
Joan and Jerry — Adding my thoughts and prayers for you to everyone's here and seconding individuo's hopes for a peaceful path forward for you both ☀️ ☀️ Below, are a couple of lung-health related sketches that I thought I'd post, just in case they might offer comfort in some way.

item #1 - animal

some kind of lemur-like stuffed animal
(serving today as a health-care mannekin)

Awhile back, a loved one had a series of operations. He was expected to survive those operations, and he did.

But as often happens, he got pneumonia as a consequence of the immune-compromising drugs, and lying around, etc. He was expected to survive the pneumonia, and he did.

But he was having trouble doing the required coughing to defeat the pneumonia. It was painful, and he was exhausted. And he was getting worse. So with permission of the doctors, my loved one and I worked out a way for him to do the required coughs more comfortably. This is shown in the awful quick sketch below.

In his case, because of the nature and location of the surgeries, we had to find a sweet spot of raising up only 2-3 inches. He would hold onto my forearm (for dear life), while I slipped my other arm behind his back to hold him up those few inches. This allowed him to do the required coughing in a bit more comfort than otherwise.

For others, such an effort may require a different position, but these things can be worked out together, as long as the doctor approves.

item #2 - multicolor

analog wall clock
(serving today as a health-care mannekin)

Awhile back a loved one was badly injured in a non-survivable event. However, initially they saved him. Unfortunately, they removed him from the trauma center too soon and his lungs immediately filled up, like someone drowning. He was 3 minutes away from death for several days. His lungs refused to clear at all.

I begged the doctors to allow me to do something called T-Touch on his chest. They let me. Although I learned T-Touch for a different reason, it occurred to me that T-Touch might also serve to bring my loved one's attention to his chest. It did so, and his lungs quickly began to drain, and he survived.

Although I learned T-Touch from Linda Tellington (for horses, cats, and wild animals), she adapted it from an Israeli doctor's work on behalf of humans (Feldenkrais?).

-----------------

It is so very, very simple. You place your hand, lightly curved, on your loved one's chest (in this case) and with the tips of your fingers, inscribe a circle, like the face of a tiny round clock.

You do these circles in a random pattern all over the chest area, to bring the body's awareness and healing processes to this area.

This is NOT massage. You are NOT trying to remove any toxins.

You have to press hard enough to actually MOVE the skin (rather than skimming over the top). But no harder than that.

The circles need to be round, and complete. Therefore, try to go 1-1/4 around for each circle, to close the circle, then lift your hand, move it to a new random location, and do another circle.

You do NOT have to have any particular beliefs, or vibes. Like the Sun coming up in the east, no belief is necessary.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the sketches.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize and export.

Process:

Defaults.

References located a few inches away.

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - Nice hatching on the pill case. Nice work on the belt. You handle ink well.

Ned - Practice is paying off. Those washes look pretty good. To avoid lines what about writing the paper and go wet into wet like watercolor? The boat is very good! Nice work on a live animal. They are TOUGH.

Jo - how did I guess you would do a wine bottle? Like the basket weave. Blew it up to look. Nice job! I like the soft? subtle?shading on the bar. Cannot think of right word.

PineCone - only you would have a stuffed lemur. The text is very much you in both instances. You are a caring person. Bless you for what you did.

Hoping to finally do something on the toned paper.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 08:16 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

All are Practice only... ( playing with ink wash )

The 1st two might break the rules of the forum -- it's okay if I need to delete the post, let me know. 1st was from imagination and 2nd was from memory of a scene I drew from life a day or two earlier. Just playing with ink wash. In the 2nd, I tried a light tone sea and a dark tone one.... there are parts of the dark tone one that might work with practice, maybe? I don't think there's any way to do it without "layer lines" or at least not if you don't know what you're doing!

I've got some water-soluble "Tom Norton" walnut ink that I haven't opened yet. I'm going to play with that next.

This was today's sketch... there were a couple people buying crabs off the boat but it's too much of a stretch to say they were in an "urban setting" kind of location! But I enjoyed trying to draw it.

Think it might be raining here tomorrow, so might find something on the list to draw!

I will also be keeping Joan T and Jerry in my thoughts.

Last edited by NedL : 01-25-2020 at 08:24 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joan, we are thinking of you with positive thoughts and hugs. Group hug.

Ned, great sketches. I especially like the last one with the boat. You are doing well with the washes.

individuo, nice hatching on the pill wrapper. Excellent.

I sketched in the big book here at my desk and then at the dining table with a Micron 02.

Number 1 box - well several, waiting to be flattened for recycle
Number 2 bottle - several, the back one has on a Bolivian poncho and hat
Number 3 basket - don't know why that is up on top the hutch. It doesn't fit anywhere and I have no practical use for it. Ha.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 01-26-2020 at 10:32 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:31 PM

Hails from Spain

Ned, your washes work very well, I like both versions in the second photo and the waves in the first one. Great job on the "urban setting", being imaginative with the choices is part of the fun .

Jo, thanks. Nice ones, especially the second one, beautifully done. It brings back some memories, years ago I helped some neighbors putting apples on top of different kinds of furniture all over the house . So I think some apples would look fantastic in that basket. (as Joe would say, "yo como manzanas" - I eat apples )
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, my smile for today. Fun Tamarin! Lovely sketch and sentiments for Joan and Jerry. An echo from over here........
Thanks for all the compliments.

individuo, wow on the tree! And... the bottle. With a toothpick no less.

Hey, Mary. Love the basket and flowers. The doggie is a hoot. Reminds me of Romeo except for the color.

Ai, Love all the direct watercolor happiness. Colorful for sure. I like the chef, too. What is Roti?

NedL, good hand and ring. Not easy to do hands. We had several challenges to do a whole page of hands or thumbs in different directions. We've had practice! And a beautiful ukulele. I should paint something on mine. Fishing rod is cool.

I played in the pastel dust today. About 20 minutes on paper with a variety of pastels.

Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 PM

Hails from Spain

Ai, thanks. Wonderful watercolors! I like the markers sketch done with markers . The Roti lady sketch is fantastic (and so difficult to do)

KarmArt, thanks. Beautiful basket with the flowers and Suki is super cute!

Ned, thanks. Nice hand with the ring and resting on the sketchpad . Aha! another ukulele , so, as your daughter doesn't need it anymore (because she has a better one), I think we'll all agree that you should start playing that one and your daughter should take up sketching as well . The fishing rod with the ceramic fish sketch is great and I agree with you, it's a nice ink.

Pine Cone, thanks. About the toothpick, I haven't explained about it, it was just laziness. I remembered seeing someone (I think it was Alan Owen) in a youtube video using a wooden clothespin (which he had cut at and angle) as a dip pen, so I thought I could try with a toothpick and in that way I wouldn't have to bother cleaning the dip pen afterwards (I have a dip pen but I haven't use it to draw yet, I used it years ago to try some calligraphy, well, to try to improve my handwriting, but I end up using an ordinary fountain pen or just a pencil) Again, thank you. About the Universe, well, it's your universe , you should know where it is , or did you get lost looking at the stars . Anyway to reach it we will have to wait till the afterlife, once in the afterlife just follow any horse or cat, they know were it is . Again again, thank you very much .(quote:"*toothpick emoji*")
About your sketch for Joan and Jerry. Joan has been doing lots of beautiful postcards for the troops (link to her blog https://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/). I think your sketch with the words accompanying it is a postcard to Joan an Jerry more beautiful that I could have imagined. And you have expressed your and our feelings perfectly. So (and I am not joking this time), thank you, thank you very much.

Jo, thanks. Wow! your pastels are always amazing!

Joan T, what Pine Cone said. Many hugs, take care.