WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
What Happens in Your Brain ...

... When You Make Art

An article from NPR. I especially like the photo array of the tiny 'zine about halfway down.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Re: What Happens in Your Brain ...

Read Betty White's book, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain. I think her last name is White. She pretty well covers it, including what happens when you split the brain in half.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 AM

The article briefly touched on the concept of flow, which I found useful when I read about it years ago. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's Flow is a book I'd recommend. I should read it again myself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

Mine own thoughts about flow and art that I wrote a couple of years ago.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Calmer and more relaxed? Not for me. Making art turned me into a nervous wreck, every time. Sure, there were certain times I was in the zone, during particular tasks. But I couldn't work for more than half an hour without taking a break. Maybe for you folks art is all about nice stuff. For me, she was La Belle Dame Sans Merci.
“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” ~Ernest Hemingway
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

yeah have read the right side of the brain however what she is teaching you ..you are being "taught" the "rules" of perspective etc...very damaging in fact if you are trying to break free from typical western perspective (which is all in fact a lie btw) One needs to apply oneself in a manner where one is trying to represent reality or the experience ie drawing a person for example trying to express an aspect of the character of the subject their personality etc finding or inventing a new way to communicate this artistically rather than just following "taught" rules..if that makes any sense..hope so

Read your blog about "the flow" Claude ...funny . It's so easy to get "the block" this world does not lend itself to being artistic it is a messed up place run by evil overlords with a skewed sense of perspective. One can not draw or paint anymore say a peacefull (or put across that feeling in a painting)scene of people walking in a park instead one is faced with painting a scene full of crazy people with an eratic sense of chaos in the air.Ie if it were a song and the art piece had a rhythm tempo and melody it would be dark jazz not some simple happy melody from the fifties !

Last edited by tidal : 01-17-2020 at 05:00 AM.