Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fazan

I looked all around, but I’m still not sure on what’s the difference in end result when using pure gold and “fake” gold.
        Does the “fake” gold deteriorate over time?
        Can you tell, by eye, what kind of leaf was used (if somebody could provide a picture comparison, I’d be very grateful) ?

Cyndi L

Most people, especially when experimenting, choose to use the fake stuff just because of the price of real gold. That said, real gold is chemically inert so that there is no deterioration over time. The fake stuff never has the exact same color, depth of “glow”. Since I don’t feel most of my stuff is heading for a museum anytime soon, I use foil.

In 1998, when painting the walls of my old cottage house for a studio, I used a jar of gold glaze bought at Hobby Lobby. The wall is still lovely, not faded or flaky in the linear leaf designs I put there.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Nerys51

For baking Fimo clay, can I use fake gold?

tanjoreartist

Good question …where we live, we do the gilding work extensively for one particular type of painting..and there has been all types of gold foils available here. Well, real gold foils have archival quality, which stay as it is even after many years, am mentioning about 100s of years. As far as fake gold is concerned, they tend to change color and actually not suitable for our use.

Long time ago here, in India,original were used on paintings and fake on the wooden frames..which could be replaced as and when necessary. Finally it all boils down to our affordability, customer’s wish as per their budget, andhow extensively we are going to use…:) !

That is the reason we buy foils from one source for years…:angel:

[FONT=Century Gothic] When you are inspired.....dormant forces, capabilities and talents become alive-Patanjali.

Cyndi L

Nerys51, yes you can. I would test a small scrap first, but I’ve never had any darkening or problems with it because of the low temperatures for baking clay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.