Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eraethil

From Symbols of Homo Clairensis again:

Visionary, 16″x16″ mixed techniques (pouring, collage, direct painting) on cradled birch.

One of the more unusual pieces in the series.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cyndi L

I keep changing my mind about what I’m seeing here!!

Eraethil

Hehehe that is allowed! But what are the options?! :)

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cyndi L

Something with one of those chakra eye thingies, or (please forgive me) a frog with a weird mouth.

Eraethil

No forgiveness required Cyndi! I could even see it being an eye within a mouth.

I left the feet off of the fore legs to allow for the body to be showing the belly
                        with head down or the back with head up. (its an abstract symbol after all so anything goes) It came from a symbol I created that was about vision and predicting, accepting and adapting to change and could have been a squatting person. The “adapting” thought triggered my inspiration to use a frog rather than a wise person. I had the idea that the wise woman or man of the tribe might have been called “Old Frog” as well, due to the tribe’s affinity with the water (lakes, swamps, rivers).

It is quite enjoyable to get caught up in imagining their culture and context!

Cyndi L

I like that you didn’t go for the obvious symbols that we always think of for wisdom…an owl, a large tree, etc.

Eraethil

Having them be a near-water and on-water people from a different evolutionary chain made it necessary to question whether any of the symbols were being influenced by our culture and natural inclinations. And I made the decision that they had more of an inclination towards abstract thought than is evident of our early Homo Sapiens ancestors.

Even the self/person symbol that I decided on, which looks decidedly like a lower case I, came more from the perspective of what is the simplest way to visually represent a person. A stick man is more representative, but who is to say that when we move from picture to a representative language in pictographs that the stick man wouldn’t be simplified by removing the limbs? This would allow for other concepts like walking/running/traveling to be represented in more differentiated but easily communicated ways.

Cyndi L

Rick, have you thought about putting these together into a book? A fantasy story or “history, or a pseudo-ethnographic work? I ask because I have a master’s degree in Folklore and Folklife, and I’ve read ethnographies that have less thought, care, and detail in them that what I’ve read from you so far. And I have a feeling that you’ve thought through a whole lot more that I haven’t even seen.

Eraethil

I’m a fantasy geek, yep. I haven’t yet thought about a book, but I have created the pictograms for each of the pieces and written a little summary for each of the correlations identified by the anthropologists and linguists. And I was thinking I might create some “artifacts” that have pictograms inscribed on them. I’m also pitching the show day after tomorrow to a gallery that has shown my work before, for their 2020 season. Fingers crossed…

Cyndi L

They’d be crazy not to take it! Fingers crossed also :)

ladypainter

Really different and interesting. I am seeing a one eyed frog:)

Elinor:wave:
                                                "keep your own time tickin"

Eraethil

Thanks Cyndi and Elinor

SurrealityArt

Once you see the frog you can’t unsee it. He’s even got warts. ;) Loving those blue-green colors together.

TJ

Eraethil

Thanks TJ!

tidal

From Symbols of Homo Clairensis again:

Visionary, 16″x16″ mixed techniques (pouring, collage, direct painting) on cradled birch.

One of the more unusual pieces in the series.

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/26-Jul-2019/104815-Visionary_WEB.jpg[/IMG]

like the fact that it is not “contained ” within the picture frame … so it is like it does not begin or end it is there all at once

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.