WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2000, 04:32 AM
st. louis mo

Unhappy

Oh, Larry I'm sorry I didn't use this forum to adress issues of composition and design. I just got off track yet again. I'll try to stick to the subject next time.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2000, 11:48 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Wink

please don't apologize....I took your comments to heart. That you spent years painting abstractly and see the similarities is cause for me to express joy! It is knowing this in my own heart, which you expressed, that makes it so difficult when I hear contemporary/living modernists write my work off as not being fine art.

About 2 months ago here on the critique forum, I put up a blow up of just perhaps 3" x 5" of a 12" x 16" plein air landscape I did. If I did not tell a soul that it was a blow up..it appeared in and of itself to be an abstract composition.

So...I asked everyone to contemplate this. It seems we cannot make full judgments until we step far enough back and see the part in context with the whole. What if people or artists are like this? What if there is a larger canvas existing, and all the strokes of its making are the artists living everywhere, but only the master artist is privileged to step back and see the whole?

In the same ways colors seem to fight and war, we go about making so much noise against each other, yet from a distance they may work together to make the most beautiful image.

I don't know what to say about your other observations concerning my work except to say humbly, thank you. You are right about the "scary" thing. I find, (and I say this as a matter of record and not to sound arrogant), that wherever I go I have younger aspiring artists coming to me for advice, for a critique, for words of wisdom. While I am grateful to have traveled so long a road and wouldn't want to have to learn all over again what I have learned, who do I go to to be pushed beyond myself, beyond my limitations. Who knows at this point what my limitations are?

The trouble is...one arrives at such a specific point that one guards their good privilege, and outsiders really need to prove themselves filled with understanding and capability before they are allowed to have their comments bear any weight.

Its like...everyone discusses at the base of the mountain what being at the peak is like. The higher they climb, the more surrender to what they think their limitations are and at great expense and time..they quit the climb. They don't cease however to imagine what the peak is like. Others climb on...and along the way, more and more quit. It is only those that make it to the peak that in fact know.

On their climb back down...having been to the top, they are not going to be persuaded by the imaginings of others they meet along the way down telling them what they saw and experienced up there, for they know.

I am not saying I have been to the peak. In fact, I know I have not. I know I have gone further than other climbers and quitters, and that there are those that have climbed beyond me. I know just enough about the climb to get a taste of what's just beyond me, but it is not always easy to explain that to others not having climbed as high.

I have banged my knees; scarred my elbows; bruised my ribs. Frostbite threatens to take my life. How warm and affirming it is to hear another voice at such a time.

What is ironic is. I think I see a small flat above where I might be able to pitch a small tent and spend a night in warmth, so I'll climb a bit more. Chances are though that from this position..I'll get a new look at the peak and realize the sides I have been climbing have hidden the view and perspective. What I thought was perhaps a few more days climb will turn out to be much much much longer. Then, like others...the voices begin to assault the mind and spirit. It would seem so reasonable to be content with what heights were reached and quit.

Thanks for stirring my thoughts kGrimm, and others for putting up with my thinking outloud here...my rambling provided cause for me to muse a bit.
peace,

Larry

[This message has been edited by lseiler (edited June 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by lseiler (edited June 29, 2000).]