WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Drawing Room May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinlife68
Hi, As a real newbie to drawing (now 70 years old) I feel rather intimidated by the talent on here and as yet have not bucked up the courage to post anything I've done. Even so, I have been most grateful for the advice given in the critiques of posted work and am using that to teach myself and improve. When I have the courage, will post.....
I can relate to feeling somewhat intimidated. I started drawing about 10 years ago when I was 50 something. I had a hard time getting a likeness and my work certainly bore little resemblance to the things I saw here ... but I gathered my courage and began to post. A kind soul took me under her wing so to speak and encouraged me and worked with me which got me started.

I suspect you will end up with a similar experience. Nobody here is going to be discouraging - if they do not like your work they just won't say anything. Most people do not post anyway - they lurk and read. Take this thread ... as of this morning it's had over 720 visits and only a handful of people participating. That's about normal. All it takes though is one person to encourage you and get you on the right track so I'd suggest posting your best and seeing what shakes out. Nobody expects a beginner's work to look advanced.

Anyway, welcome to D&S and take advantage of the members here to help you improve. And don't forget the classroom where just about everyone is a beginner which should give you more confidence.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Liverpool, England

Hails from England

Welcome to Drawing and Sketching Luvinlife! It's fabulous that you are picking up a new hobby at your ripe young age. Please don't be afraid to post your work here, everyone is very encouraging and helpful. Although I've been a member for many years it's only in the last couple of months that I've started posting my work. You'll be amazed by how much you can improve in a short time with the help of the members here, I know I have. I look forward to seeing your first piece
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Thank you all for your kindness and encouragement. I'll have to work out the instructions for posting and then see what happens.....
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:56 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

There was a thread here where people were asking about fixative ... Federico was answering the questions but he hasn't answered for a day or two ... I can't find the exact thread but the people involved were chatting here so I'll toss in my thoughts till he gets the time. I'm terribly shy so please forgive me.

I believe the conversation was how to get darker and Federico suggested using fixative to get more layers. First of all, I would strongly suggest using a fixative for art mediums as opposed to something like hairspray which some recommend. While hairspray might work initially I have no idea how it will hold up in say 50 years. It could damage or destroy the drawing as it breaks down. Instead, using an archival product designed specifically for art makes much better sense even if it costs a couple dollars more.

Whenever I need a fixative I use Krylon Matte Fixative which ought to be available everywhere. I have never used anything else so I can't speak to how others work. A fixative puts a layer of material over the surface which does several things. It seals the paper and it evens out the reflective nature of things. Graphite is naturally rather shiny and darker areas tend to reflect light more than the lighter ones and they are also the ones the artist most likely pressed down firmly making it even more reflective. The matte fixative balances out the reflective nature somewhat. And the fact that it seals the artwork means it is a new surface upon which to draw. I has a bit of tooth - different from the paper but still it allows you to lay down more graphite. And if you use a soft graphite directly on it, the little white specs you would expect will not show as there is already graphite below it so the paper cannot peek through.

I should also mention that there is a "workable" fixative which presumably allows erasing but I haven't heard much about it nor do I know if it works quite as advertised. I tend to avoid building up layers with multiple materials (graphite and fixative) lest anything become gummy or splotchy. However, if I would need to put something like charcoal over my graphite I would have little choice so using fixative can be a lifesaver.

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 05-20-2017 at 03:03 AM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Liverpool, England

Hails from England

Thanks Ken, I was one of the ones asking about fixatives. You know I could tell how shy you are as soon as I started posting here 😜
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamSav
Thanks Ken, I was one of the ones asking about fixatives. You know I could tell how shy you are as soon as I started posting here 😜
It's debilitating for sure .. but I'm diligently working on it. One day it's my dream to be able to speak up whenever I have something to say ... whether it's important or not. Maybe one day ...
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

Whether was just about perfect for our scale model car exhibition today, a bit chilly in the morning but it warmed up soon enough. Of course I picked up more model kits at the swap meet even though I already have more than I'll ever be able to build in my life time. I also did a couple watercolor sketches of the cars parked in the show behind our booth.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Sounds like it was great fun!