Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking "hand touched" giclee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ploverwing

For goodness sake, what’s next!? An article in our local paper indicates an exhibition which showcases “outsider artists”, and one of the pieces is described as a “hand touched giclee”. What on earth does that mean? My husband is delighting in poking me to say I’ve been “hand touched” – I mean, really, how does that add value to an inkjet print?

[FONT=Century Gothic]Amie Roman, AFCA
        Burnishings - Blog on Printmaking * Burnishings - ploverwing on Etsy * Printmaking on Squidoo

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"
        [/COLOR]
        Diane Cutter

Well, I’m going to sound crotchety and say that I think it’s a bunch of ‘hooey’. A giclee is a reproduction and no manner of adding brushstrokes, glitter, puff paint, etc. is going to increase it’s value because the ‘artist touched it.’ That ‘painter of light’ (who will not be named) did the same thing with his giclees and people drooled over his work like they were receiving a totally hand-painted original. I feel it is pushing the reproduction envelope a little too far…

Diane

Jetsam

Ploverwing.. what a bizarre thing. “Hand touched”… sheesh. Diane, I agree with you 100%.. a printout (inkjet/giclee, etc.) is a printout, no matter if you add a little dab of ink to it. – Carol

Funny! I was looking at a bike recently and the sticker proudly proclaimed “Designed in the USA.” In much smaller font and in a different location was a sticker that read “Made in Taiwan.” Sounds like the same bait and switch!

Printmakerguy

It’s a scam, if you ask me. The worst perpetrator of this is Thomas Kincade- He sells uber-expensive repros that are ‘hand embellished’ by him (or by his STAFF!!) to uneducated ‘collectors’ that think that they are making an investment!! Poor fools.

I was at an art show recently where a pastellist was selling ‘hand retouched prints’… After asking a LOT of questions, I finally got it out of the artist- they were nothing but inkjet prints with a bit of pastel added here and there for texture. I don’t have any problem with the sale of items like that, but I did have a problem with how they were presented as some kind of ‘original’

Curtis- I noticed that on a bike, too! I have a Giant that has a big american flag decal on it, and it says-

Proudly Designed in the
                    U.S.A.
                    Manufactured in China

Yup, You have to read CLOSE.

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                    My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                    -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

dandan

My friends who are artists could make some money on these but they choose not to. They feel like it takes sales from artists who are making real art not just overpriced posters.

PrintmanDave

If you are in question of what a “Hand Touched Giclée” might be, see this site: http://www.hatfieldfineart.com/giclee.php?pid=57

“…a fine art reproduction distinguished by superior, near original quality…”

The printed canvas is varnished, hand touched by Don Hatfield and mounted gallery-wrap style on a wooden stretcher. Each piece is individually signed and numbered from 1 to 295 and accompanied by its “Certificate of Authenticity”.

What a load of marketing bull! I wonder what the hand touching treatment is? Blobs of acrylic paint brushed on here and there for texture I suppose, based on other “Hand Touched Giclée” prints I Googled.

Hmmmmmmm. maybe i can get in on that marketing action. At $600-$2100 each – more than I’m askin’

Yes, I see it now; “Near original quality monotypes…$2100. Certificate of adoption provided with each masterpiece.”

Please place your orders with my Gallery Representative, Etsy.

Eraethil

I suspect that in some cases “hand touched” might be as simple as the artist touched the print to confirm it didn’t look bad, and signed it. This is where artists can really step over the line from selling reproductions into scamming people. Sad really, when you know people who have bought them without understanding what they are buying.

On top of that, when I’ve seen high priced signed limited edition prints at auction, they often sell for peanuts compared to what they’ve sold for out of the “gallery” (frame shop) “as an investment.” It’s really too bad when people don’t get educated about what they are purchasing with their hard-earned cash.

But… if they really like the reproduction enough…

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Diane Cutter

I guess what we are all saying, in different words, is the old argument of ‘truth in advertising’… Reproductions are reproductions, no matter how they are dressed up with embellishments (words or paint)…

Some years back, when the giclee mystique was beginning, a friend had a party for her original that she had just bought from a well-known local artist. I was delighted to know the artist in question had sold an original. My face fell when I saw the hostess had paid rather big bucks for a giclee reproduction. I have lost track of her but I wonder if she still is proud of her purchase. I’m hoping it didn’t matter because I would hate her to be crushed with disappointment.

Diane

Bandbox

There’s a guy who posts regularly on the gouache forum who sells his original paintings and “prints” of the paintings on his website – not “reproductions”, not “giclees”, not “inkjets”, not even “hand touched”, but “prints” with no further description or explanation.

dandan
                                            Printmakerguy

”prints” with no further description or explanation.

This is an all-to-common description used! I see it at all the art fairs down here, except for the ones that specify in the rules that reproductions must be CLEARLY labeled as such…

One Printmaker that displays down here, Dave Bruner, Has BIG signs all over his booth that say

These are PRINTS not REPRODUCTIONS!

Kind of funny, really. It actually leads to a lot of conversations from people who don’t understand the difference.

Oh- if you really want to get him going, ask if he uses a Xerox machine :)

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                                                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                                                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

damian427

very sadly there is much money in the giclee. and some people would say in the art world the buyers and collectors are who makes an artist, and a piece of art is only worth what it sells for. giclees are the worse scam ever, but i am sorry to say that the giclee is not to far off the 4th run (200,000th print) of a picasso print sold as an original after his death….authorized and signed by one of his many children.
                                                    i think the solution for me is i am just going to skip the printing process and just sell the zink plate or woodblock.

H2O_Baby

Damien, if you sell the block before you etch or cut it, then you can advertise that it is a variable edition, with unique meaning for each owner. Just imagine what the print would have been!

I find these discussions frustrating as we have had some of the people from other forums (painting ones) that use the term “prints” not reproductions get into arguments on this site and they seemed extremely unethical – didn’t care that the buyer was duped. I don’t think there is any way to change these types (or galleries I have been in that sell the repros). That’s why I think a movement to change the word we use for printmaking is the only way to go. This was done with glicee (inkjet) and seriograph (silk screen) to make them more palatable, so why not change terminology to distinguish a hand-pulled print from a computer generated one or a reproduction?

Other professions have changed terms – MRI is really nmr (nuclear magnetic resonance) and they changed that to get the word nuclear out so as not to scare folks. BOTOX is botulism.

Bandbox

Imagine that they started giving every NFL player a Super Bowl ring: That’s the way things are headed in the fine art world. So H2O Baby’s idea of changing terms may be the only way to combat “print” inflation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.