Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Varnishing Polychromos? Gel Medium, Spray Vanish, resin, etc?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MissBMonkey

Hello! :)

I’ve seen a few threads from a few years ago discussing varnishing colored pencil, but I thought I would see if anyone since has had any recent experiences. I’m working on a project and I do not want to use glass; I have an antique scatter frame with a mirror – I want to remove the mirror and use the frame for one of my works.

Thus, I am interested to see if anyone has had any positive varnishing experiences with Polychromos. Which varnish do you use?

Ester Roi uses the Golden Archival spray, so I bought some yesterday, but the bottle calls for an isolation coat. For my acrylic paintings I’ve used the soft gel gloss medium as an isolation coat under the Golden Polymer Varnish. Has anyone used either of those over polychromos?

Also, I am interested in using colored pencil on wood like Ivan Hoo. He uses some amazing looking glossy resins / lacquers over his pencils that are so beautiful! Anyone know how to create those effects?

Please share your recommendations for a varnish (if any) that works well with colored pencil.

Thank you for your suggestions!
        B

MissBMonkey,

The reasons for using glass over colored pencil is not the colored pencil. It’s the support.

In other words, the paper needs more protection than the colored pencil does and it’s for that reason that you should always frame with a nice, solid backboard and glass.

So, the only safe way to frame without glass is to draw on a rigid support. Pastelbord, for example.

Or wood, as you mentioned, or canvas or anything else that is puncture and tear resistant.

I’ve yet to try Polychromos so can’t help you with which varnish to use.

Carrie L. Lewis
        Helping You Create Art You Can be Proud of with the Colored Pencils You Love
        http://www.Carrie-Lewis.com/

MissBMonkey

Thanks Carrie! :)

I see a lot of options for different drawing surfaces, but I just can’t seem to find much on experiences of varnishing. I’m super interested in adding different glosses or shine to my drawings, but I don’t want to ruin them.

Pingpongfan

Ester Roi has written about glassless framing. The only thing I remember reading somewhere is that you should not use a brush for your first coat of varnish over pencils. If your drawing is on paper, I think you would have to glue it to a rigid support. I have seen a number of paintings covered in resin at our local art store. Resin is not cheap, but it does look beautiful. I’m not sure how you would go about putting it over coloured pencil. Lots to learn. Let us know what you find out.
                Vena

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.