Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Mezzotint rocker

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wmlholt

OK. Have never done a “traditional” type mezzotint, but am thinking of trying it out. Do people still rock their own plates, or do they buy them “pre-rocked”? Also, is the 85 gauge 2.5″ rocker the one I should be looking for? Or is a higher gauge more desirable? Thanks

Diane Cutter

I’ve not rocked a plate but I have bought them from Takach Press. I bought the copper plate from them and then the rocking service was added on. It was a joy to work with because it was well rocked. I’m beginning to have issues with repetitive motion from cutting, etc. so opted to pay rather than risk getting a sore hand.

Diane

Red Dot

I do both.
                I have an 85 gauge rocker which does a good job. 65 gauge produces a slightly more robust burr. Be prepared to spend a LONG time rocking though. it is a very labour intensive process. Here in the UK there is a supplier (Martin Maywood)of excellent pre rocked plates not done by machine. I have used these and they are first class. He supplies whatever gauge you want.

http://www.mezzotint.co.uk/intro1.htm

I also strongly recommend getting your hands on a copy of ‘The Mezzotint, History and Technique’ by Carol Wax. It is out of print but can be found at a half decent price with a bit of Googling. If you do plan to rock your own plates she gives clear instructions and describes the various rocking patterns needed to get an evenly rocked plate. A rocking pole or jig and weights make the task easier too. Julie Niskanen supplies a simple jig but if you are handy it is not difficult to make your own rocking pole.

http://www.julieniskanen.com/mezzotintproducts.html

wmlholt

Thanks for all your comments. Think I will keep my eyes open for a 100 gauge rocker, but in the meantime will take your advice Diane regarding what the long-term effects might be of rocking my own plate as compared to buying a pre-rocked plate.

Red Dot

I don’t think you should go for a higher gauge. 85 or 65 is probably the best bet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.