Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel……April 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE April 2018…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

SeanInDublin

Lots of work still required :rolleyes:

Eyelashes are my next challenge.

Delofasht

Well, finally getting set up a bit better at my new house. It’s a tiny place, but my wife has decided that we aren’t going to be entertaining friends or family here, so she gave me a lot of the den area to use for my painting area. Started these small paintings last month, today I gathered them up and started putting in a bit of color here or there to tune them up a bit more. Most of these are just random scraps of stuff using up leftover paint on my palette from other work.

- Delo Delofasht
                Sam :)

Close to finishing this one. Is the sand too dark/grey you think? Does it need something more in the foreground?

[ATTACH]855924[/ATTACH]

Delofasht

Sam, that is looking great bud. I mean you could have a lead in on the right if you really felt it needed something, but you could just as easily leave it as it is too though.

Did some more on my sea turtle painting I started last night, just threw down some random colors in places to make it easier to see where I wanted to go with things. Little update from the hour or so I put into it last night, had started without reference so what reference I am using now doesn’t really have all the texture information I need so I am kind of doing a lot of it from memory most the time anyhow. Feel like I am getting somewhat close to how they would look anyhow thoug. Luckily there are not a a lot of sea turtle experts that are going to be looking at my painting (I hope), especially since it was more about using up left over paint on my palette than creating an amazing painting.

- Delo Delofasht
                        mtpalms

Both very interesting posts Delo and Sam, I see fertile imaginations at work.:)
                            Great way to use up some leftover paint Delo, I think the sea turtle is nicely done!

You have a great start, Sean. Good luck with those lashes!

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                            "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                            But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

wdaniels
                                mtpalms

Wow Wayne, it’s been awhile, but worth the wait!:clap:

Delofasht

Wow indeed Wayne, that is some piece you have there. I most especially like the placement of the child in the scene which seems quite different from the usual location one finds any humanoid. It has a very strong effect of balancing the weight of the two large trees on the left. Wonderfully handled, I would not have ever thought to try placing a figure where you have.

- Delo Delofasht
                                        OziAfricana

Great work everyone.

I’m still struggling with this and will be reworking the child’s hand.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home
                                            My Blog

Instagram
                                            Delofasht

Transferred my color comp of a landscape I have been working on over to a prepared surface, it was a Casein ground. . . CRAZY absorbent, my oil paint felt like it was dry the moment it was placed. Because I plan to paint over this in a few layers over the course of several days, this totally works for me. I drowned the surface in oil at the start to allow me to very quickly tone the surface with a reddish pink color (the oil was absorbed deep into the surface and the color stayed put without any movement within minutes).

I’ll post the color comp I am working from here as well for reference as to where I am headed with this.

Where I am at in oil:

Where I am headed (comp):

Parts will be less dark when completed in oil, the comp is done in watercolor and in my sketchbook, so I couldn’t lift any of the overly saturated areas out.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                OziAfricana

Once again, I am following John Howard Sanden’s 29 Steps tutorial and attempting the ‘Nigerian Lady’. It’s been years since I painted his ‘Bishop’.

Progress shots so far:

Sorry, couldn’t put the images side by side.

My Blog

Instagram
                                                    mtpalms

Wow, she is beautifully done! It must be a relief after struggling so much with the other one.

AnnieA

OziAfricana, Yes! I agree with Marcia (mtpalms), she’s really beautiful. She just glows with life – there’s a clear spark there. Thanks for posting the progress shots too. Well done!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

OziAfricana

Thanks Marcia and Annie. There are still a few refining steps to go but it’s been a delight to paint this way.

My Blog

Instagram
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.