WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States
Re: New WIP: Every inch of a Dining Room (whew!)

Oh, wow, THANK YOU everyone for your kind remarks and observations.
------
Doc - That "footstool" is my constant companion. I might leave expensive power tools and lights, specialty paints, ladders, and everything else behind on a job site but never that stool. I can stand on it, sit down to eat lunch and it opens into a toolbox with all of my most-used brushes and handtools in it. I got it as a free gift for opening an account at a bank and wish that I had two more just like it. You wouldn't believe how many other artists have asked me about it and wish they had one.
-------
Robin - It looks like I'll be doing a quickie 1/2 Bath glazing there, the whole kitchen in a plaster and raised stencil design and possibly woodgraining the front door when the temperatures warm up. Great clients!
-------
Bowersbird - The furniture was all stuffed into the little living room when I left but when I return I will be sure to get a pic with the room dressed. I agree, it almost always looks better that way than buck naked like it is now.
-------
Sue Ann - The venetian plaster is Antico from Texstone. It was my first time using their Antico. Highly polished Veneciano is more popular around here and I have used Texstone Marmarino a couple of times too. I like it all! For a good synthetic, I like Modern Masters.
-------
Deb - Yes, smooth walls. My baecoat was a satin finish. The walls and ceiling are 3 layers of metallics. The first layer I did with one of those big spherical beauty sponges, cut in half. I use the flat side and it helps to create a real motion on the wall. The last two layers I rolled on two differnt metallic colors and manipulated it with a big terry-covered carwash sponge. It was my first time trying the carwash sponge and it worked great! I will be using it again, absolutely, especially for large rooms like this one.
For the woodgraining, I mixed together on-the-spot a very deep brown for the flogging. That would be the right side of the crown molding closeup. Then the next glaze was Aquacolor French Red with some raw umber and black added. I offer 3 levels of woodgraining: simple, medium and all-the-way. This is a medium.

Becky - For the black waiscoting, it was first painted in a satin jet black. Then I applied 1 coat of gold glaze followed by 2 coats of black glaze. I use a circular motion. the entire wainscot was suppose to be done but I thought the flat panels looked sort of good just plain black, so that's what we ended up doing. When I have done the flat panels in black, however, I use a slightly different method, mixing gold paint with wax. Gives it a different look. Here is a photo of the wainscoting but in real life the metallic gold is not nearly as prominent as the photo shows:

Here is a different house that I did with the same methods:

Michele, Chris, Laurie, cedarartworld, katsarecool - Thank you very much!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:23 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Thanks so much for all the info! The close up photo is really nice too, shows the metallic...very nice. Looks like just the right amount of shine! Car wash sponge...hmmmm I will have to try that I have really liked using the terry staining pad that Becky suggested and this is bigger which would be better most of the time.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ballina nsw Australia

Hails from Australia

Gobsmacked here ! That staircase!!!!wow
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

thanks Betsy for all the information...will you take a picture of the car wash sponge? I am always up for a newbie tool!!!!

How do you show the clients the three versions of wood graining? Did you teach yourslef or take a clsss?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Betsy, I have the same stool.. love mine, too. I keep trying to consolidate my tools into one box, but this one just seems to be irreplaceable. I can't remember for sure, but seems I must have gotten mine at one of the "big box" home improvement stores... maybe on sale cause I can't imagine I spent much... I'm too cheap!

These finishes are awesome! I would love to know how to do woodgraining correctly... seems complicated, though I've managed to pull off realistic looking wood. I just think I'm doing it incorrectly!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 AM

I can't add anything more than the comments already voiced. Betsy, bravo!!
Lori :-)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

Here is the sponge, Becky! Does it look anything like a staining pad?

Becky, in my regular portfolio of sample boards I also carry a piece of molding that shows my best woodgraining. If I know in advance that they have an interest in woodgraining I will also carry along the simplest version as well as a board showing samples of oak stained in different colors. I have never done oak, but I use it for color samples. It is a display board from a stain company that was originally given to a carpenter friend of mine, who eventually gave it to me. It works well to show colors. But I digress. For the middle of the road woodgraining version, I usually just tell them that it falls between the simple version and the all-out version.
---
I have never taken a class in woodgraining, just read up on it and practiced on my own.
---
Michele, I'm guessing you have The Art of Faux? If not, it's a must for every library. Pierre is detailed in his explanation and line drawings of various woods and how the grain flows in each of them. I alter the steps he gives to fit with my comfort zone but it's definitely my guide.
---
Thanks, Lori!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Well that just inspires me, Betsy! I just ass=u=me'd that one had to take a class to learn it!

You know, I could kick myself cause I was about to buy that book about a week ago, it was around $10 (which is super cheap).. and I decided I should wait cause I'm beyond broke. Starting to really regret that decision...

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
Denver Metro

Hails from United States

great work!! And thanks for sharing your products / process. Great stuff!
Sue Ann
Be a "Fan" of my 2 Facebook art pages: My Art Trip and Sue Ann Hum, Artist www.sueannhum.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I loooove the black- it looks like something found in Pottery Barn! I have never seen a black faux; maybe people are afraid to try it, but wow! yours looks fabulousicious! I can't wait to try it on sample boards. Mega thanks for sharing.

"I have the mad cow." Denny Crane
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Betsy, yep, the car wash pad looks like a staining pad. Is yours terry cloth??? Mine is. If yours isn't, does it shed?

That is an excellent idea using moldings.....may I copy that idea? I also have taught myself from real wood and books to do wood grain but I am not all that perfected in it since I don't get much call for it.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

oops, just noticed your questions, Becky. The carwash sponge is maybe a soft nubby terry cloth.....no, I take it back. It is more like a nubby fleece! It didn't shed one iota. And it cleaned up like a dream.

Sure, copy away, Becky! I'm pretty sure you and I don't share any of the same clients! Plus, I copied your stain pad idea.