Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Airbrushing Oil Paints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jettabar99

I am totally new to this forum and am going outside my usual area in hopes to find some help. I paint 3D resin models and would like to attempt using Oil Paints instead of the regular air brush paints.
        What do I need to know/do/buy to accomplish this?
        What paint and thinner is best, would my regular badger air compressor be enough and will i be in health danger?
        Anything else? Is this doable?
        Thanks so much
        Lisa

Hasey

To be honest Lisa, if your looking at airbrushing them, then it is more worth your while going with the airbrush paints. They will perform through the brush so much better and will make your life so much easier. I can’t really comment on putting oil’s through an airbrush but can envisage many problems and headaches. You need your paint consistency to be similar to milk and oil paints are generally quite thick. I don’t know how far you can thin them down and what effect that much thinning would have on their performance. If you are looking at purchasing paints for this then I would highly recommend using airbrush paints, they can be applied to almost any surface and are very durable. I hope this helps in some way. Oh by the way, welcome to the forum. :wave:

slaterza

You can use oil paints through your airbrush here are some articles from our archives oil paints discussion also remember To avoid problems when switching from one paint system to another (ie. from oil base to waterbase), spray a little (rubbing) alcohol through your airbrush when you are finished cleaning.

Also always take out the needle at the end of your cleaning procedure, wipe it down, reinsert, take it out again. If there is paint on the needle, the airbrush is not as clean as you thought.

another group of thoughts thoughts one thoughts two

Here is a WIP done by an amazing artist by the name of Paul Corfield

saintperez

Please see my experience with this here:
                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8049440#post8049440

Santiago Perez

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.