Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    esshesse

Hello, this is my first post (I think, it’s been a while since I logged in)

I use spray paint sometimes along with oil paint in my work. I learned recently that house paint doesn’t last very long and therefore is not recommended for artists. Is it the same with spray paint? Any recommendations on what brands might be of higher quality? Thanks. I paint on canvas if that matters.

I used the search function but didn’t get very far – my apologies if this question has been asked

cheers

Eraethil

Are you using an oil based enamel spray paint or acrylic beneath your oil paint?

If acrylic, I’ve used Montana and Liquitex. I prefer the Montana, mostly due to the quality of the can nozzle and the spray nozzles. The paints were both excellent, but the Liquitex cans failed 3 out of the 6 cans I bought and got thrown out early.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
            Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

esshesse

Are you using an oil based enamel spray paint or acrylic beneath your oil paint?

If acrylic, I’ve used Montana and Liquitex. I prefer the Montana, mostly due to the quality of the can nozzle and the spray nozzles. The paints were both excellent, but the Liquitex cans failed 3 out of the 6 cans I bought and got thrown out early.

I’ve used Montana and Rustoleum. Now I’m living overseas and will have to settle for what they have here when I shop for it. I didn’t actually realize there was oil or acrylic based spray paint. I guess either one would be fine to paint over with oil. Cheers.

And yeah, I agree Montana has a very nice spray.

Teddy

Be careful in the processes you use… mixed media can often crack if you use materials together you are not used to using. You would be better off using a paper substrate and may be small canvases for this… try just using the materials in a way you would with serious paintings and just use it for experiments even if it does not go anywhere… every product is different in every regard it seems at times. Just be careful…

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                    ✶ 
                    ✮ 
                    ✧  
                    ✶ 
                           ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                               teds

Eraethil

Oil paint over an acrylic underpainting is a very commonly used approach. You can certainly get cracking when the acyrlic is not completely cured, which depends a lot on the thickness of application, the cure time, and the humidity. So, spray thinly if you use acrylic spray paint as an underlayer.

I haven’t used enamel spray paint, so I cannot speak to concerns there.

Since most of the media used in art rely on mechanical bonding, the key for mixed media approaches is most often to have enough surface roughness in the underlayers to ensure the overlayers can fit into the bumps and cracks, and to ensure that there is enough curing. Oil media should almost always go on last (or at least on top) because oil creates such a smooth self-leveled surface that it is too difficult to find purchase. But self-leveling acrylics and hard-drying acrylic mediums can create this kind of concern too.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

John Peters

Sealing prolongs the life of your creative projects, especially if you intend to display them in outdoor spaces. Whether you’re working on the exterior or interior surfaces, preserving your art with Aleene’s acrylic sealer can go a long way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.