Home Forums Explore Media Scratchboard Art Tbilisi scene & question (first attempt, WIP)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mortap

Hello, I love scratchboard art, so I picked up an Ampersand 8×10 and started this one:

Here is the tool I’m using:

I’ve made a few mistakes so far, so I’m considering adding ink back on with a pen or brush, but one mistake is I lightly sketched first with pencil some guidelines and then tried to erase them, and now the ink surface is smudged like this:

Is there a way to fix that?

DarcyBowen

I don’t know how you can fix any mistakes here! But my hat is off to you for taking on a project that doesn’t allow any slip-ups or moments of poor control!

mortap

Finished:

Things I learned:
                Scratch much lighter guidelines first.

It looks great! :thumbsup:

You can if you have large smudges or mistake use Ampersand scratchboard ink to cover or repair it.

There’s a couple pinned threads at the top of the forum here that have helpful tips and techniques and such that you might enjoy.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Crias

Welcome to the medium and the forum. You might also need to replace your xacto blade if it isn’t scratching the way that you like. It looks like the tip has been broken off at some point (which maybe you did on purpose). Don’t worry at all about smudges on the black ink surface. Once the work has been completed you will want to varnish it (many threads in the forum on that topic) and the varnish evens out the tones on the black ink.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Cathy Sheeter

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

mortap

You might also need to replace your xacto blade if it isn’t scratching the way that you like. It looks like the tip has been broken off at some point

Oh, I didn’t even realize that. I do have replacement blades.
                        I’ve got my next board ready to go for another one. Then I’ll look into varnishing them too. Thanks.

Red Head

Finished:

Things I learned:
                            Scratch much lighter guidelines first.

I love how that looks with the raking shadows. :-)

Artchrispy

This is stunning and very ambitious for a first attempt.  Well done!

Christophervasil.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.