Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Painting on Glass, Ceramics & Plastic

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike L

I’ve seen artists paint on glasses, cups, bottles, pitchers and other useful items made of glass, ceramics and even plastics. I think, but am not certain, this is called tole painting. As vinyl sign maker I know there are paints specifically formulated for painting on glass, but they are relatively expensive. I used some “standard” tube acrylic paint to paint on a glass jar and wondered if the job will be relatively permanent ( a year or more with careful handing?).

Any suggestions, tips, for using glass or ceramic as a ground?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful, considerate, and informative replies! :thumbsup:

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

NanJoSimp

I’ve painted on glass and ceramics for years. I use enamel craft paint. Some of the finished pieces were heat set but most were not. I have a set of coffee cups that I’ve used for many years and they are still in good shape. The finished products are actually dishwasher safe (top shelf).

I’ve painted wine glasses, carafes, coffee cups, serving dishes (trifle bowls are exceptionally nice painted: I’ve done them for holidays and they are gorgeous on your holiday table).

Also painted on plastic as well as glass and ceramic. Vases, candle holders, pitchers, the surfaces are endless. And such fun to take ordinary items and make them extraordinary.

Enjoy!

Mike L

Tole painting is the folk art of decorative painting on useful items that can still be used. Some of the current favorites are trays and small boxes, but the surface can be anything you want.

Although I’m just starting to experiment with it, I’ve years of “practical” painting experience – from painting ship hulls and oily bilges to house and my own wood projects,

For painting on smooth surfaces, such as glass, an enamel paint is probably best, but definitely not artist acrylics because they need a partially absorbent surface to adhere properly. Probably same with just about any acrylic paint.

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Jar123

I have done window signs, Thus painting on windows. I have used regular bucket paint and one shot paint. Both do the trick but if you wanted to take the paint off it wouldn’t be to hard. It will stay there without agitation.

Nickel

For decorative painting on plastic used indoor, start with a clean object, just scuff the plastic a little with sandpaper, wipe off residue with a tack cloth, add a coat or two of artist acrylic gesso, a sponge brush will work best for this. You can sand between gesso coats if you wish, let dry 24 hours, paint with regular craft type acrylics like Plaid Folk Art or Ceramcoat or better artist quality paint, let dry another 24 hours, seal with your choice of a protective coating like Blair Artist Tole Spray. Avoid spraying on damp or humid days to avoid bloom. I would not use the dishwasher for these type of objects, just wipe off with a damp cloth, or dust. I know some try to avoid using quality grade products when doing decorative arts, but I find they give quality results the first time, and time is valuable.

All of the mentioned paints sit on the surface of the glass and as such can be removed by washing or scrubbing over time. If you are at all into it you can actually get under the surface of the glass by using paints for for china painting and firing the paints into the glass. (This is how those figures get on the stained glass in the churches or how the flowers were added to the antique lamps.) Glass must be fired at a cooler temperature than porcelain. And there is always the chance that it may crack, slump or break in the kiln. Ruth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.