Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Prevent cracks in school grade "Tempera" paintings on canvas board?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    asterose

Hello! I’m new, so let me know if this should be in a different forum.

A friend would like to commission me to repair and prevent cracks in two framed paintings done using the cheap “tempera” paint that grade schools use. They were done on canvas board by pigs on a rescue farm: the paints are put on canvas board, covered with plastic wrap, and then the pigs push the paint around with their snouts.

The cracks are, of course, almost entirely in places where the paint was applied thickly. (I like the look of the cracks, but I couldn’t convince my friend!)

The repairs are straightforward enough, but is there any way to prevent further cracks? Like, go over it with egg yolk? Or some sort of varnish I could apply? Any ideas at all are welcome!

Hi asterose, and welcome!
        Honestly I don’t know. Maybe combine with an acrylic medium such as matte medium? Or gloss or matte medium varnish?
        Have you tested it with anything else?

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

asterose

Thank you for the reply I haven’t yet, I had forgot that option! That probably would be worth a shot…and my friend is very understanding of if it doesn’t work, thankfully!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.