Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Oil based pencils

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scmelik

Are the FC polys the only oil based pencils on the market? I am getting ready to go on a few month long work trip and want to work on a few new paintings but I obviously can’t take my oil paints with me. I was hoping to work a few up with colored pencils and getting the color worked out so when I get home i have a road map to lay down my actual oil paints on.

eonworks

Polycolor by Koh-i-Noor are also oil based. They cost much less than Polychromos (at least in the EU) and are very good for preliminary work. From what I read, oil based pencils contain some wax too. You can read more about different brands here: http://www.penciltopics.co.uk/brands%20kohinoor.htm

scmelik

Polycolor by Koh-i-Noor are also oil based. They cost much less than Polychromos (at least in the EU) and are very good for preliminary work. From what I read, oil based pencils contain some wax too. You can read more about different brands here: [url]http://www.penciltopics.co.uk/brands%20kohinoor.htm[/url]

Thank you

Polycolor by Koh-i-Noor are also oil based. They cost much less than Polychromos (at least in the EU) and are very good for preliminary work. From what I read, oil based pencils contain some wax too. You can read more about different brands here: [url]http://www.penciltopics.co.uk/brands%20kohinoor.htm[/url]

Oil and wax are same thing. More precisely.. wax is oil with an elongated carbon chain that makes it solid at lower temperatures.

The nomenclature means much less than what most people think. You can have more variation between 2 brands of “oil based”or between 2 brands of “wax based” thatn between other 2 brands, one oil other wax.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

ocmd123

Lyras are also oil-based.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                    Instagram

Save

Goodcatbadcat

I have not tried Lyra Rembrandt, but I do have Polychromos and Koh I Noor and I prefer the Polychromos hands down. What Tiago said above is true…I find my Caran D’ache Pablos, which are wax, to be more similar to Polychromos than to Luminance, which are also wax, and Koh I Noor feel closer to Derwent Coloursoft, as in scratchy. They make me cringe a little. I think it all comes down to personal preference. I also think it may seem like a good idea at first to opt for whatever is most budget friendly, but I have found the higher the quality the more versatile the pencils. I thought I would use colored pencils for only quick and small studies but I discovered that some techniques allowed for truly unique effects that appealed to me more than anything has in the realm of paint for a long time.

“I'm drawing a picture in my mind of what's on your mind. I'm a little confused in my mind, but your mind is coming in clear as hell." - John Altoon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.