WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 AM

Re: Some sculpture portraits

Most recent one. A twin. The other one will have a snarling face with fangs so the challenge is doing the portrait to match the likeness yet with an extreme face change. Have a lot of reference pics..

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

That's quite a challenge, to do two that are completely matching. They look great so far! Are they supposed to be characters we would know about?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Ha not likely. From a 1971 British Horror movie which is why the reference is a particular challenge. Grainy faded pics though screen captures in HD are most essential.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 PM

And actually they do not match--the trick is being able to tell them apart and make the right subtle changes to identify each. Originally I thought I could just copy the first one for the other but I have to alter the nose and an eye a little first.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 PM

My wall of heads.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Wonderful work, very accurate depictions all. What scale are these?

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Good question! Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/5th scale.
I can never seem to be sure.
I keep them all to the same scale-in fact I have my own version of 6 Degrees of famous actor game--I use Christopher Lee as the scale ruler since he was in more films than anyone else--and then I can get a scale match for anyone else by linking them to him by other actors. I then check their face length against his to be sure I am as close as possible.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Beautiful portraits of a petite and feminine lady. Braid in the hair with soft smooth long hair is a nice combination.

For a small critique, was wondering about her hair line. I know girls have all different hair lines but just was contemplating this one and wanted to make sure that her hairline did look just as you have it. The reason I bring it up is that it has the slightest feel of a masculine hairline, to have the hairline go way back at the temples. I have a friend that has hers go back somewhat like this but not quite this way and with the peak (point) in the front and also on the sides at the temples a peak (point). Very interesting and I just wanted to mention it in case it's helpful.

The other thing was on her right breast (viewer's) as it looks a little bit smooshed on the underneath portion where the middle fold is on the breast. typically the middle of the nipple on a girl (of course, a bra or shirt can pull up more so) is one head length down from the chin. Her breasts look a bit too high. By sculpting the whole breast and then adding the fabric over it, it'll make sure that the breast has just the right shape. Also, at that point, cropping or cutting the edge, underneath the breast to get the shape of where you want the line of demarcation for your sculplture bust can be done.

Just some tidbits and if at all helpful then I'm glad I wrote them.

You are doing a wonderful job on your portraits!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 AM

The hairline is too far back but I have to leave it because the hair is very strand-like there and the final cast sculpture I will have to add that with cotton. Sometimes I sculpt hair and then carve it off for the final version, I suppose I should have done that in this case--added a bit more hair, but I will do it that with the other twin maybe.

She is wearing some kind of 19th century--or maybe 17th century? corset.

Thanks for the tips though-always appreciated!