WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#511   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

I saw that they are acquiring a Usonian house. Would like to see that, too.
We visited the Robie house in Chicago, the only time I've actually been in a Wright building. It felt oppressive to me, such a surprise because it is so beautiful in photos and drawings. Guess I don't have the Wright stuff.

Today I am in charge of our little PA weekly meetup. (We rotate that responsibility) I found a teeny tiny sculpture garden that is new to everyone. New to me, too, although I did go scout it out last Saturday to be sure it was suitable and work out parking logistics. If the weather is like yesterday's, it will be perfect!

Hope you have calm, sun, and dry for the rest of STEMS.

Last edited by Cedarita : 05-25-2017 at 07:40 AM.
  #512   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Dear readers:

The donald irked that he was not Canonized. They did offer firing from italian circus cannon. Famous line "Yer Fired" would have been uttered by hugely important Italian TV personality. Secrets Service apparently stepped in telling Vatican staff 'He's no saint'.

I have seen several Wright buildings. In fact there are three in the KC area and another down in Wichita. Then too there are several in Mason City, Iowa. Yes, there is an odd feel in these buildings... but I think that is the aging of the design, the loss of Wrights original furnishings that he installed in them, the lack of actual occupancy these days when they are often 'museumized' and Wrights aged ideas on how people should live.

Another STEMS watercolor today. Better than yesterdays but still yuckie.

The good news... no rain.

Will no one free Eastern Kansas of all these squirrels?

Comments ? Dave
  #513   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I think you are right that Wright's ideas of how people should live were what was really bothering me. He could dictate them pretty forcefully.

Your cannon scenario is a winner - everyone gets what they want. prez gets a big show and lots of attention. We get rid of him. Pope saves the world.

sounds like you are having a run of bad luck with STEMS this year. What a pain in the patootie. The next one is sure to turn things around, right?

Squirrels are just big furry oak mites, and just about as welcome.

Studio cleaning day, today. David is making me a new top for my flat files. Cheers for a new horizontal surface to mess up!
  #514   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

Here in K.C. Thomas Heart Bentons home is a museum... and right next door is the Sonder-Adler house... a Wright house. It was built under his direction as a Usonian and subsequently Wright was again hired... to enlarge it. Famously he once showed up to 'inspect' it... checking up on the owners. It today is still a private home. We once went on a tour put together by the local architects association. One of the architects has and displayed a set of the original blue prints. Pretty interesting. Lots of people turned out. One thing in particular struck me. While the lot is not huge... the driveway was laid out in such a way that looking down it you can't intrude on the occupants privacy. There is a low 'hump'. On the other hand there is no garage; just a skimpy car port.

I went out this afternoon and scouted a place to paint but did not actually paint. Just too lazy I guess. Get tired.

Oak mites are yet to find your neighborhood oaks. When they arrive in Dallas you'll know they are far more a pain than squirrels are.

Comments ? Dave
  #515   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

The only Wright building we have locally is a theater. I have never gone to a production there, but friends that have tell me it is not comfortable. In spite of my mixed feelings about Wright, I'm still intrigued by the Usonian houses. Interesting about the layout of the driveway at your local house, and even more interesting the story about Wright's inspection. Very telling.

Sorry about the dud day. Smarter to just let it go that frustrate yourself trying to work when you know you are doomed, IMO.

I bought some acrylic retarder hoping to make my paints more versatile. Would like to have enough time to premix my palette, without having to buy yet another set of colors in the open acrylic line.

Last edited by Cedarita : 05-27-2017 at 08:17 AM.
  #516   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

I set up my P-A oils outfit all ready to go out but ended up watching a T-storm or two rolling through.

Tonight we tried a new Venezuelan restaurant for the first time. Loved it. In a little strip mall here we have Mexican, Tex-Mex, Peruvian and now Venezuelan food. We are so lucky! Don't tell donnie!

No sign of the 'hogs but several buds on Judy's plants were eaten by the deer last night. Not for the first time either.

One of the Kansas City Wright buildings is a church with famously a steeple formed of powerful light beams. I've been in that one. One in Mason City, Iowa was built as a hotel. It has been converted into store fronts. I have seen it from the outside. It needed some upkeep work then.

Comments ? Dave
  #517   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

That darn weather interferes again.

The first time I tried to do a plein air event it rained for almost the whole month that it lasted. After that, they moved the timeframe...but this year they largely got rained out again.