WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 AM

About Copyright

Hello,

Most of the time I see beautiful photos from famous photographers. They are constantly in abundant access to models and they can photograph them how they like to. And I ofcourse like alot of work like that.

My question is, as an amateur painter, if I use a beautiful portrait photo which was taken by a famous photographer of a prestigious magazine and paint it in oils in my way and sell it, is that a violation of the copyright or it is not?

Any experts about this in the forum?

All the best.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Re: About Copyright

And something that came into my mind is, for example I did a model painting refering a photo that I found on the net. But the face of the figure in my drawing is not %100 looking like the face of the figure in the orginal photo and I also added some tattoos to the model's body and altered the colors. So who can insist on that I did the drawing based on the photo? Maybe I did it from my mind and suddenly it was the same pose in the photo and the date of my painting is unknown. How they prove that it is a copyright violation? I just dont know these things and want to learn the details.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2016, 12:36 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Copyright law varies in different countries but basically what you ask in your first question would be a breach of copyright.

I know people use magazine photos all the time, but it's still a breach if you want to sell, exhibit or publish the work.
If you ask the photographer's permission to use the work, and say for what purpose, it may well be given - but you need to ask!

You may use the photo for 'fair use' and educational purposes - in other words, for practice drawing or painting the pose ... but not for selling afterwards!

As to your second question - there are many 'free figure poses' around - or drawing cds/videos where you might find the pose you need - then you are free to do what you wish!

It's often said that if you copy, but change say 60% of the objects/elements in a painting, is that OK? .... personally, I'd say 'No!
I wouldn't a) like my work taken and changed in that way and
b) wouldn't want to steal another's work in that way.

So now it's your choice!

Forgot to add - if you do use something for practice and post it here, don't forget to credit the photographer - preferably by name too, not just e.g.'Thanks to the RIL'!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 09-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

Some also use multiple photos and take parts from each to make a new painting. So it is not recognizable as one persons copyrighted photo.
That idea probably works best for landscapes/seascapes/florals more than portraits.
There are quite a few "free to use photos" & "copyright free images" websites , just do a web search for those words .
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Interesting questions. A guy takes take a photo of a train - which itself has been designed by someone else - their copyright - but the photo is the guy's copyright, yet his photo is indistinguishable from the photo taken by the guy standing behind him. I paint a painting of the same train, but who's to say which photo I used, or whether I painted it from life. At the end of the day the chances of such disputes ending up in court is zilch. I used TWENTY photos of trains in one of my books and the photographer was happy that I gave him £50. He said he'd have been more than happy to give them free. The lesson from all this is a bit of give and take, some consideration - and a healthy dose of commonsense.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this, I tend to not paint for photo realism but rather use photos as a jumping off point and generally while my paintings my resemble the photo they are not an attempt to recreate it... I wonder if that is enough to protect from copyright infringement. I sometime will also put on the back of the painting an attribution "painting inspiration from picture by John Doe" Hopefully that helps too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Liverpool, England

Hails from England

Just chipping in with my own view here: If you like a photo enough to want to use any of it in your artwork why not just take the simple step of asking the photographer if you can use it. I have done this in the past lots of times when I was doing my digital artwork. Usually the person who owns the photograph is delighted that someone has asked to use it and will allow free use or ask for a reasonable fee if you intend to use it commercially. Most people just want to be credited as the original photographer and to see what you created with their photograph.

Copyright infringement is a form of theft. If you didn't take the photograph ASK the person who did.

Last edited by PamSav : 05-03-2017 at 11:15 AM.