WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
WC! Guide

Re: Scavenger Hunt #233 Aug 7 - Aug 15

Robin no not looking good yet. Still have about 100 lbs still to lose. Not sure I will last that long but need to. Eighteen lost pounds just made a small dent in me.

Jo I wear those tshirt type sweats for sleeping. I don't do shorts either. Always have long pants and sleeves no matter how hot. Not sharing my flab and wings with anyone.

Tayjos love the sketches. The colors are fabulous. Really love those greens and that package of the crackers. It's funny how just about everyone has a button jar. I used to love going thru my mom's button jar when I was young.

Last edited by "J" : 08-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Jeanne- Thanks
Pine Cone- Hi! Thank you and welcome
Jo- Thanks. Like the aspen leaves. Really nice detail on the cuff
Jim- Thanks. I guess it is hard to tell what it is when they are not stretched over a leg
Tayjos- Thanks. Love your drawings. Wonderful colors and detail on the thread, pepper and crackers. Love the violet shadow. Nice buttons

4. toes, pencil, 2x2.4 inches
5. chips (substitute for crackers), pencil and watercolor, 3.5x2.5 inches
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jeanne - Reception sounds yummy. My wife and I were on Smart Ones for awhile..and lean cuisine. I lost about 15 lbs. She lost about 7 or 8, but she is a peanut.

Jo - Thanks for the info on the "pens".

Robin - Nice line work! I do use pastels...was my original preferred medium..but would not say "very well" when jo is in same forum. Lately have been working mostly with color pencil and graphite.

tayjos - Hi. Nice work. Love the color. Have never mixed pastel and pen...nice effect.

Kivrin - I did recognize your hose ...once my head shifted definitions...was trying hard to make a garden hose out of it. Nice jo on toes and chips.

Got a couple done today graphite ( .7mm F) in 8x5 in sketchbook ..
1 - toes - they are that strange looking
2 - rotating - ceiling fan prespective is a bit wonky.

Joe

Last edited by jmfletch : 08-09-2011 at 04:18 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
WC! Guide

Kivrin nice toes and crackers.

Joe that poor little toe. He's been left behind. Nice job.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
north carolina

Tayos - your work shines....very nice

Kirv - nice sketches....my son used to say his dirty feet smelled like nacho chips!

Joe - bare feet and the fan.....a summery combo

5 minute studies -
4 - see thru

5 tree limb
6 elastic
7 art supply don't use - and I've set it out on the art desk to use, I hope
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Robin, I always love your sketches. Fun to see them. Great on the trash and flatware. You fly doing sketches, must be the Jetstream Mitsubishi. Ha. Cool leaves. The bottles are fun to see. Hope you use the art supply, too.

tayjos, good selection for the green. Nice crackers, the paper is hard to do. The button jar is super. Good job on the egg.

Kivrin, good toes. The chips I could eat about now. Yummy. Thank you.

Joe, very interesting toes! You notice I haven't drawn mine yet. Good job on the fan, they are so hard to capture in motion.

These are all done very quickly (5 min or so) with the Prismacolor pen in the Utrecht sketchbook. Pretty sad. Could say the yogurt container is smushed, but it wasn't. Everything leaning left again. ... hmm.

Number 3, something you can see through with something in it - jar of mini Snickers.
Number 4, something in kitchen that you use every day - coffee pot
Number 5, dairy product - yogurt
Number 6, laundry - sheets in washer
Number 7, carrots - in a bag with cauliflower

Winston Churchill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jeanne - Yeah my little toes are a bit out of line.

Robin - Nice line work and 5 min each. Impressive. Never used Gum Arabic...but rarely do any watercolors.

Jo - Laughs I showed mine...now you have to show yours. My toes do not line up well and the bigger ones are quite long. I like your pen work. I keep hoping for a pastel. No comments on perspective and proportion, see my feeble effort below.

I did one. It took about 15 min. And once I scanned it I realized it looked a bit fisheyed. I am attributing it to sitting to close.

#3 Something pushed. @ 3 in square in .7 mm F graphite
Joe
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ok, here goes for Joe. (I like the walker drawing, so much perspective to deal with.) I did a pastel painting for a project and will blog about it tomorrow. You can comment or join the challenge on my blog for a chance to win Maggie Price's new pastel book, "Painting Sunlight and Shadow with Pastels". You get a preview of the painting here and for the Hunt it is Number 7, landscape. It is pastel on Pastelbord, 9 x 12.

See you sketchers on my blog, tomorrow.

Winston Churchill
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

Kivrin, great first post, I have some of those unused OPs too, neat toes
Hi piney, Jim, J
Jo, great branch with leaves and elastic, mm snickers, the pastel landscape is beuatiful
Robin, love the line sketches, the trash can and drawer are very busy, great see through and tree limbs
tayjos, wonderful color sketches, the pkg of crackers if Fab
Jim, interesting toes, and a walker? is it yours?

just a few I did on my plein air walk
1 rusty- a neat plant hanger ( a half a sun) with
2 green - plant

3. and an ink and wash landscape along the bike path

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 AM
WC! Guide

Robin nice garbage. I try to use my empty dog food sacks for trash too. Very nice bottles. Love your cross hatchings.

Jo no fair showing me the Snickers. Nice laundry and beautiful pastel landscape.

Joe good job on the walker. Who uses it? I got my dad one with the seat a few months ago and he loves it.

Bonnie nice rusty find. Nice color in the landscape. My plein air group hasn't gone out painting for quite some time. Partly because the leader decided to step down and partly because of the triple digit weather. Not healthy to get out in the heat.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
north carolina

Jo - I really like your quick sketches........quick sketches don't always look good but I learn alot from them - I like the laundry sketch....the clothes look like they are swirling uniformily, it's comforting and happy. Great job on the seethru bag of carrots. Are you a "lefty"? Oh MY - that pastel is to die for......wowser!! It has a watery look! wonderful shadows

Bonnie - ah It's good to hear about plein air outtings. I should check around my community...there may be one....

Jeanne - I hope you all start back up when weather permits. I've never painted with other people. I imagine it is fun.

Joe - I think you did a fine job on the walker....my best buddy (98 yr) I sit with 2 x's a week has one I've drawn several times......challenging

8 - wire
9 buttons - still on cloth
10 toes
11 - still life with basil and curious george
12 green - large mouth funnel (terrible elipse : :>(
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Bonnie, love your landscape and hanger. You can see the freshness by doing it from life! Thanks.

Hi, "J", you made me laugh out loud about the Snickers. I should not buy more, sigh.....

Robin, still love your sketches, too, the still life is fun. Cute statue.

A reminder that I got the challenge posted on my blog (link in my signature) to win Maggie Price's new book. You don't have to paint to win, but that would be fun, too. You get a digital copy of the Pastel Journal for entering. Ai, you can't win the book as they can't mail a book to you, but I would like to see your painting and would post it. Unfair, right? I wonder why they can't do that.

Later,
Jo
Winston Churchill
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

Robin, I LOVE your toes!! (and the littelwire guy)
fabulous drawings everyone (Jo, missed the bag of carrots, to notch!)
will have to check out your blog
have been thinking I need to find the time to get one going myself

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe - Yeo Jo and thanks!!! I agree with you about Robin's house sketches. Unforgettable. Nifty sketches - I love your spunky toes... here's a heart just for them ---> I love the wheelie gizmo. Difficult subject, difficult angle, yet well done. I don't see the fisheye effect there at all

JoC - Thanks, it's good to be back Lovely sketches of the sparkling Aspen leaves and your sweat cuff. Both sketches have a delicate, feminine quality that I love. Ah, just saw the next collection. It reads like a list of things that I'm sure I can't sketch. Such difficult subjects, and so well done. Terrific and inspiring collection. Oh, there's more!!! Look at you go!!! Thanks for posting the pastel. It is serene and lovely. Healing in its gentle strength. Thank you so much for posting it.

Robin - Thanks Awesome sketches! You even make the trash look cool Oh, I've missed the wacky perfection of your lines!!! Plus, ORGANIC dairy no less, yay!!! If I had to pick a fav, maybe the bottle and bird see-thru - I have a soft spot for birds and there is a certain lightness of personality shining through in your simple lines. And tied for fav would be the rockin' guitar spring thing. Love the hair

tayjos - Lovely group. Interesting backgrounds and highlights to explore with the subjects. Your button jar brings back dear memories of my Mom and grammie - both had button jars just like that. Thank you.

Kivrin - Thanks! Love the play of shadow and light across the top of your foot and the chips look yummy.

Bonnie - Hey!!! Cool plant hanger and neat landscape of the bike path. I love the curvy composition and moody lighting.

I still haven't sketched anything, but I'm still hopeful...

Piney
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - Awesome...you have the pastel touch!! I joined(?) your blog but have no idea how to comment there. Sorry am not a blogger. I do go to a few and read....like Jeanne's, but do not post.

Bonnie - Love the vitality!! Nice work plein air. Walker is my wife's. My feet look like hell but still work!

Jeanne - It is my wife's walker. She was finally diagnosed as having MS after her back surgery last year. Part of the reason I kinda disappeared from WC for awhile.

Robin - Am torn between curious george and your feet! Great line work!!

Pine cone - Thanks for the kind words!

Got one sketch with 3 objects. It is a half page in a my 8x5 in sketchbook using .7mm 4H mech pencil. About 10 min.
#4 - elastic
#5 - buttons - Dug these out of my wife's button stash.
#6 - art supply bought and never used. Including photo of it. Basically it is and odd shaped hunk of graphite. Impluse buy at art supply store. It was in a box sitting at the register.

Joe