WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia
Re: "The Pioneer" - Zebra - FINISHED

Hi all, just got back from being away for a while looking after a sick rellie. So I am trying to catch up with all the great stuff that's been posted lately and this is no exception.

Irfan, the zebra is very well scratched. I know how hard it is to get those stripes right. Lots of drama there. But I too think your background looks a little strange and a little rushed to fill the board.

There is light coming from the background, the foreground and on the left hand side of the little tree at the front. So my mind is trying to figure out where the actual light is coming from and its distracting me from the lovely work you have done on the zebra.

Those background trunks are dead flat, yet it appears the zebras rear is leaning up against it. If it were that close to the zebra it should have a little roundness to it.

IF it were my painting, and I have had plenty that I was not sure about where they were going, I would really darken that light background heaps just to see what the difference is and to make your foreground pop and become the centre of the piece. The eye goes straight to a background that doesn't really hold a lot of interest. You can always rescratch the background again if it does not look right.

I also think that if you are going to do a large board then you really need to plan a background. If you look at the work of some of the others on here that are so good at backgrounds, you will see that there is a lot of detail in them, the perpective is spot on and they are full of interest. They are very well planned.

I uploaded a work of mine on here a while ago that did not have any background in the ref. it was 16 x 12 which was quite big for me and ambitious. When I finished the animal, I tried to be a bit lazy and just put a little bit of foreground in. It was c & C'd on here. I took that advice and it didn't quite turn out the way it was meant to. But that was my skill error.

So, not to be beaten, I took up the challenge and played around with it a lot to get it just the way I wanted it. It finished up being my best painting.

I hope this does not offend you in any way. But I don't think it will as i have seen your works c & C'd on here before and how you've taken up the challenge of making a few adjustments and turned them into beautiful winners like the big cat coming out from under the branch .
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks for the nice comments on the zebra everyone!

Thanks Patrick and Lesley for the critique.

I wasn't too sure about the backgound, so I decided to turn this into an easier piece and let the zebra itself do the talking.

I essentially got rid of the background but I had to keep the dead tree!

It looks much better to me.

C and C welcome!!

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes!!!!! I love your fix! That's a sensational piece now!!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

Great job Irfan. It does give it a more dramatic touch without the rest of the background.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

Irfan--I like this very much too.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia

Bravo Irfan. I love it! Now the focus is where it should be on that beautifully scratched animal. Great fix
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Yup it is strong enough to stand on its own! Great Job! Love the Zebra...the thing looks so real...It is going to come out of the frame!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Removing the background really made this a powerful piece, Irfan! Great job. I just have one little comment - I love the dead tree, but with the grass only in front of the zebra, the tree is just sort of sitting there. What if you put a few bits of grass in front of the tree? Not a full line of grass, but just a few clumps?

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

Yesterday must have been pick on Irfan day, to bad I missed it.....joking of course. Fantastic finish Irfan, but I also know you can do backgrounds, you definitely have the skills and talent.

Mark
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia

No Mark. I did go to great lengths to explain to Irfan my reasons for my C & C. I certainly did not mean to pick on him.

Constructive crits are such an important part of artistic growth if done in the correct manner. I don't think I offended Irfan but Irfan if I did then I will not c & C your work any more - just admire it.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks everyone!!! I am glad you like the new version and I am glad that Patrick and Lesley spoke up!

I hate taking photos of this piece, I can tell you that the hind leg of the zebra is a lot more visible in the real piece. I can see it on the laptop but on my ipod I can't. It looks as if the zebra has a leg missing.

I need to take a better photo for my website.

Ann - I also thought that area may need more grass but it just didn't look right when I tried it so I just left it out.

Lesley I am not offended but Mark did say he was just joking. I am glad you took the time to help me better this piece. It is funny that as soon as I read Patricks comment I had already decided to get rid of the background which is what you had suggested too!

Better get back to my eagle now.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Irfan, this is so dramatic and beautiful. Removing the background was an excellent decision as was leaving the dead tree. That tree balances the work beautifully. You've obviously invested a lot of eye-crossing time on this to good avail. Congratulation on a fine work of art.

Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

Irfan, what a perfect fix to this piece! It's dramatic and beautiful, and does get your message across. Wonderful job!

Reflections From Life Fine Art
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks Sammy and Nancy!!

It really does look much better in real life. It is slowly becoming one of my favourites.