WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Macaw-Wip (First coloured piece)

Irfan...these are looking awesome...love the colors and can't wait to see more!

When I am using ink, diluted or not, I always dab with a kleenex tissue as soon as I apply it ...that way it doesn't take very long to dry and it sometimes lightens the color. That might work for your blue or even just light scratching over the blue after it's dry might give you what you're looking for.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Ennis, Mt. USA

Hails from United States

Your work is awe inspiring. Such a remarkable selection of composition and subject also. Your macaws are so beautiful, love the brilliant colors. Tania's advice is so helpful to all of us. I know you can buy india ink in any variety of colors on the internet. If you are not sure of the colors you have, don't take a chance on such beautiful work as you have done. Get the color you want. It is worth waiting for it.
Bonnie
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast
Currently living in Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Ireland

Irfan, this is coming along beautifully, it really is. And I'm learning too about colour application...keep up the great work
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
PUNE, India

Hails from India

Irfan This is shaping up superbly , I will be watching your progress in coloring, keenly.
Venkat
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

The colors are looking great to me. The red is very nice. I've found it hard to get a nice red.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Irfan, this continues to look exceptional. I find that diluting the inks a lot does make for a wetter board. You can help this a little in two ways. Apply the diluted color and quickly dobbing it with a tissue, paper towel, etc. as it removes the wetness from the board but still allows some of the ink pigments to settle into the scratches. It does take longer to build up the colors this way but doesn't sog the board as bad. You can also try using a hairdryer on low to help evaporate the water quicker after you apply the colors. It also helps dry a damp board a little faster. There really isn't anything you can mix with the blue to lighten it except water without losing the transparency of it. I do lighten the blue with white sometimes but since it makes and opaque light blue you really can't layer it.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

HOw are you guys applying layers of ink to get vibrant colors? Add a light color --scratch-- adding another layer--scratch?
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

That it is it I am going to start thanking everyone individually again because you all deserve it.

Thanks Allan am partial to blues too but this specific bird is practically a living rainbow it has the red orange yellow green indigo blue and violet! Doubt you need to take notes more like the other way about.

Thanks Lorna for your wonderful comment! I am definitely going to use that tip. I really do hate soggy boards.

Thanks Bonnie for your great comment! You always have such nice things to say! I think I have achieved the colour using the inks fortunately so no expensive shipping charges.

Thanks for your kind comments Ellis and Venkat They are really encouraging.

Thanks birdlover! When I layer I always follow these steps. First of all I mix a colour and then dilute and (if you want) test on some paper or even a scrap board if available. Normally this colour is light but I apply it anyway and then rescratch after it dries for highlights. Then I keep layering the colour and rescratching to build up the intensity to where I want it. Once I have done that I once more scratch in highlights then use the light colour to colour them so they don't stay white. So to conclude this was just a long winded way of basically saying what you said. Hope it helps.

Thanks Harold! I think I am going to start dabbing with the tissues Hopefully I get the desired result. I have not got white ink, does it come in handy?

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Great job here! I have totally saturated boards with diluted Ampersand inks and it is dry enough to work in 10 minutes. I don't know why their inks dry faster than others, but they do.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Just as with watercolors, I dip my brush in the water diluted color then I lay the brush against paper toweling to draw off some of the water so I am applying the color with a drier brush. I keep applying color until I have the depth I want. I've never had a soggy board.
Your Mc Caws are looking fantastic. The composition is wonderful, but your scratching is just great and the coloring is looking well.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I guess diluted colors is a relative term and how much water is used depends on what effect you're after and how much layering you intend to do. I'm watching very closely as you develop your picture to learn from you. White ink isn't something that I use very often. I like the transparency of the inks because it allows me to overlay colors, sometimes getting the color I want by mixing it on the board. For example putting down a layer of yellow and then a layer of blue to get a green. Doing it this way allows me to have areas a little yellower and areas a little bluer if I want but still shades of green, like for grass. If that makes sense. If you need a light blue you can get it by mixing white ink into your blue and then applying it as a one time layer. You can even rescratch it but you can't let it get on other colors that you've already put down because it is a milky consistency and will mess those colors up. It has it's uses but not anything I use a lot.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks Diana! Yip the inks definitely do dry fast. I normally ink somewhere and start scratching some place else lol.

Thanks for your great comment TJ! I do that too with the brushes so they are drier. When I meant soggy I guess I was exaggerating a bit they just take a while to dry. I learned this as I tried scratching an inked area and it took the ink off in a horrible way.

Thanks for all your help Harold! I really need it since this is my first coloured board. I think I may just pass on getting white ink then.

Well I have not been able to work on this really the whole house was getting done up and I just put this in a safe place to keep it from getting in harms way. It was actually nice to have a break from it but I am going start on it again tomorrow and hopefully post an update.

I really am a slacker.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States

Irfan, your board is looking beautiful - hard to believe it's your first foray into color!! But I'm learning from the comments along with you. Looking forward to the next installment.

Rich
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks Rich!

Another update

Whole board

Close up of the feather scratchwork

I am still not finished with the mate.

I got asked by someone to do a wildlife commission for them of a giraffe. I normally charge £50 but they said £15 which is about $20. I told them I put to much work into it for that much so I unfortunately said no to them. Do you think I should have took that offer as I am still a beginner ??

All C&Cs are welcome and thanks for looking!

Hope you like it.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
Somewhere on Lake Simcoe

Hails from Canada

Irfan, the coloring is looking great so far. I also really like the detail in the feathers. As for what to charge for your work, you certainly do not look like a beginner, so I would charge what I felt my art and time were worth.