WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States
Re: December Landscape Challenge

Howdy, Pete, and thanks for your response. I dabble around in several media and I just happen to be in a watercolor mood right now. Makes for a really low-odor studio operation too. We look forward to your PM to hear more about how things are going with your gallery, etc. Dan

FIDDLEMATES http://spitshine58.blogspot.com/www.danielgsheldon.com I Shall Never Stop Learning
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States

BJ, Judith and I were just looking over the lineup and talking about trying one in pastel. I like your color choices and now you've challenged us. Dan

FIDDLEMATES http://spitshine58.blogspot.com/www.danielgsheldon.com I Shall Never Stop Learning
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Pete K, thanks for the instruction on the 'road construction.' I am lost a little in the instruction, but when I've posted the challenge, please C&C and let me know where I'm going wrong, OK.

Yea, I'm from GA. I was really intrigued about St. Marys. Reminded me of Miss Marple from St. Marys Meade (Agatha Christie mysteries) Then I found out that you are wayyyyyyy down south...but you got the beach, yea. I'm Ja/merican so I'm a beach girl.

See you at the easel!!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Pete K, thanks for the instruction on the 'road construction.' I am lost a little in the instruction, but when I've posted the challenge, please C&C and let me know where I'm going wrong, OK.

Yea, I'm from GA. I was really intrigued about St. Marys. Reminded me of Miss Marple from St. Marys Meade (Agatha Christie mysteries) Then I found out that you are wayyyyyyy down south...but you got the beach, yea. I'm Ja/merican so I'm a beach girl.

See you at the easel!!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Philadelphia, PA,

Hails from United States

Dan, You have a wonderfully creative mind. Putting dried weeds popping out of the snow, and the distant mountains with their magically subdued colors is wonderful. I could go on and on. Thank you.
Kathy
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Hi Dan, didn't get to pm yet. lot's to say. but just got back from a juried show in St Simons Island. that i got in and one of my paintings sold. the painting is WHO it's the first on my blog. and pastels have no oder also just dust.

totsy, i will, hay we dont have a beach here. our beach is on Cumberland Island and you cant get to it with out a boat. so we go across the river to Fernandina Beachin Fl. about 20 min ride. you could see it from here. but you have to go west up to exit 1 on 95 in GA then go 1 exit into FL and come back east. thats why it takes about 20 min's.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)

Hails from Canada

Interesting photos. I finally settled on the "crooked" Island one. I had to do a crop to get something that was to my liking....

Watercolour 7 1/2 x 16"
Paper : Strathmore Windpower CP 300gsm
(the image is slighly darker than the original...)

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
Havant, Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Hails from England

Dan great picture. Lovely colours.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Pflugerville,TX Between a rock and a weird place

Hails from United States

Pete; thanks, look foward to the next one. I'll try the sanded technique see what happens.
Dan; look foward to your pastel.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Alain, this is a great water colour love the crop. i'm glad you did it to your liking. I never even seen it like this in real life, it looks so much better then the pic. love the high lights and the soft fall colours and the shadows they are great.

BJ, you just may like it. some say sand it a little i really ruff it up. but do leave most of the paper there. can't wait to see what you come up with.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Pflugerville,TX Between a rock and a weird place

Hails from United States

Well, here's another about an hour and a half. Couldn't quite get that distant mountain right bit there it is. c&c's alright. water is a bit darker on screen. I don't know, I like mystery, probably what draws me to dark recesses.
same soft pastels on Mi-Teintes black sheet with some sand-paper scrubbing on rough side.9x12 Maybe do soft side next
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Hi BJ, nicely done. i think the dark works fine, i like the hints of blur on the water giving that reflection to the left and the greens to the right. the contrast between the sand and the water really stand out. you filled your tooth more on this one.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States

Kassie - Hello and nice to meet you. Thanks for commenting. I enjoy snow scenes and during South Dakota winters we have lots of subject matter. None yet this year though. The dried weeds are abundant along roadsides, popping through the drifts.

BJ - Okay then, I'll at least TRY something in pastel. Our temps will be in single digits for the next few days so studio time is a sure thing.

- [BGill - ]Thanks for stopping by AND commenting. I note that there are hundreds of looker/lurkers here and just a few writers but it's good to know that there is interest in this thread.[/b]

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona and South Dakota

Hails from United States

Alain[B - Your watercolor version has a nice freshness and I admire your clean color. I worked on a watercolor of this same one yesterday but, so far, I"m not pleased with the effort. We'll see how it goes. Dan[/b]

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States

ALAIN, fantastic! watercolor brilliant transparent color harmony, congratulations.
DAN, what can I say but just gorgeous watercolor.
BJ, I like your abstract interpretation, nice colors.
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT