WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - September 2009

Linn - beautiful colors in your snail shell. You did a really great job on the girl with the hat. As far as the trees, that's what this is all about, practicing.

Char - it's called artistic license. You did great on black paper and the colors you used work well together.

Nadia - Lovely snail shell. I think you are doing great in colored pencil and you may not need more than your 36 colors.

Adria - Nice job on the lemons. The reflections on the bowl are stellar.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Linn, the girl with the hat came out great. I love the way you got the texture of the frayed seams on the hat, that's very tricky. Challenging textures on the foliage and tree bark, the hat texture and the girl's clothing are wonderful.

Thanks for everyone's comments on my cheeky sparrow! I started another one today that I'll post in stages. At midnight tonight though, I set aside all art in favor of writing my Three Day Novel so if it's not finished, you won't see progress again till midnight start of Tuesday.

CP challenge Water Lily stage 1 Grisaille
5" x 7"
White Derwent Coloursoft pencil
Black Strathmore Artagain paper.
RIL Photo reference by Immilam

I was inspired by how beautiful the shell looked on black Strathmore Artagain and as I was putting away some other pads that accumulated on my table, found that I had a 9" x 12" Artagain pad. So I pulled out a black sheet, split it in half and marked off a 5" x 7" area with white crop marks so that I can scan it easier -- and mat it easier. Also to leave color testing borders that go under the mat.

I was very happy with how opaque the white Coloursoft pencil is, nearly as strong as the Derwent Drawing Pencil white. I decided I didn't need to hunt down my white Drawing Pencil since the Coloursoft worked well by itself. This is how I normally start anything on black paper, do a tonal drawing in white on it and then go in with colors over the white.

I'm also finding out how well the electric pencil sharpener gives them long sharp points, that's very cool. I used to keep the Coloursoft ones blunt because they really didn't like being sharpened in the hand sharpener. They're very soft. I was probably just using an old sharpener though.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

CP challenge Waterlily stage 2 -- some color
5" x 7"
Derwent Coloursoft 24 color set
Strathmore Artagain black paper.

I started systematically sharpening and using every color in the 24 color set where it seemed to be needed most, skipping the grays. I got up to the magenta and realized I should scan a stage, this has all the cool colors and browns worked in along with some black darkening certain areas and softening edges or crisping them up.

I really like how the black works for crisping edges on black paper, it's not as obvious as I thought it'd be. Still have a ways to go but I'm liking how it's coming out, the reds and yellows will be something I use very lightly to mute greens where needed.

I might make it a personal challenge to use every color in the box, even those grays I skipped, they might help in some value areas to mute color while lightening or darkening.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
ohio

Hails from United States

Here is my interpretation of the water lily photo . I used crayola colored pencils - medium weight paper - 9.5 x 6 in.
Duke Gardens (Water Lily) by Immilam

Name:  0904091620b[1].jpg
Views: 350
Size:  54.0 KB

Ann Marie
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

Linn, your drawing of the girl with the hat turned out fabulous!

Wow! Ann Marie, your abstract water lily is great. It was a surprise, but the more I look at it, the more I like it!

Robert, you are inspiring me to do the water lily on the black Artagain....maybe I will wait to see how yours turns out. Looking good, so far!

What is this 3 day novel you are talking about?

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

I am loving how it is coming out Robert!! Thank you so much for sharing your process! It is gorgeous already!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Hails from Australia

Robertsloan2

Both your WIP steps look like stand alone works of art to me. I can't decide which one I like better. I am fascinated by the effect you acheived of the surface of the water top right of the picture. At this stage in your WIP are you still light pressure or is your technique to use heavier pressure from the start.

I really like the coloursofts too. I have become paranoid now about light fastness, do you know how the coloursofts rate for lightfastness?

Ann Marie Thanks for sharing your interpretation of the lily. There certainly is a peaceful meditative quality to your work. Beautiful colours too.

Bchlvr I was chicken to attempt the girl in the hat. Your hat however is fantastic!

Cheers
JulieG
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Ann Marie...I like your take of different colors on the water lily...the different colors and shapes give it an interesting take.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Hails from Australia

Tess

Thanks for the tip on the background, I was worried about it. I will pull out a cool light blue to cool it down.
Cheers

Julie G
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Manor Park East London

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all,
This thread is blazing, Char your finished shell turned out lovely, you can laugh at mine, Andria doing the lemons is brave, lot of light in there, but it's coming along nicely, I love the differences in each subject, by everyone, but they are all good.
bchlvr, the person and hat subject, it's really done well.

I tried the bird, it's on white paper, I haven't many color soft so I found some
crayola and did the birds background in blue, forgive the feet, couldn't see them properly.
I also tried the shell and apples on Canford black paper pad .
The image of the cute sparrow is by annj.
Snail Shell by Te anne.
Green Apples in Sunlight by jocelynsart.
The bird is 5 1/4 in x 3 3/4 in.
Apples 5in x 3 1/4in.
Shell 5inx 4 1/2in.
Today I received 24 new pencils they are Derwentinktense plus the 12 color soft. So I had more colour available for the apples and shell. I might even attempt the waterlily later. I'll have to get some decent paper later.
I wet the white pencil tip for the eye.
Attached Images

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Sandy...all 3 of yours are fantastic! I like the snail and the bird the best...both of those are are nice and colorful. The pears are especially well done also but guess the bird and the snail are just my favorite subjects.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Hails from Australia

Sandygay2005

Fantastic apples. The lit area on the table surface is amazing, the colour is really interesting and realistic. Well done on the sparrow and shell also.

Cheers
JulieG
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Manor Park East London

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you bchlvr, they're supposed to be apples, I have a few more colours, so I can have more fun.
Thank you JulieG, on the table I used colour soft white and the deep Cadminium a sort of deep yellow and the shadow was done with inktense mustard, the inktense and colour soft work well together, I personally prefer the inktense pencils.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
ohio

Hails from United States

Sandy - Your bird looks so good. I can almost feel how soft and feathery he is. Great work. Apples came out beautifully.

Robert - I think it is awesome the color and the texture of the paper you are using. Gives the water lily an untraditional look. Very creative!

Thank you all for your compliments!!!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
kelowna b.c.

Hails from Canada

This is my try at the snail shell by TeAnne. Done on black Strathmore Artagain. 6"x6". Prismacolor pencils.