WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Prudenville, Michgian

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - September 2009

Hi char, You have a nice start on you shell. I'n sure you can do this well.

Nidia That tiny little bird of yours is very detailed with a nice backgrounds. Very nice work.

Sloan - Like the fresh summer look of your bird. You always do nice work.

I'll be showing up soon, I'm finishing up my grapes from last month.
Busy Pencil
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Hails from Australia

Hi

I thought I would try the cheeky sparrow by Annj

I am using canson gray card 8x10, caran d'ache luminance pencils, polychromos, a white derwent drawing pencil...and as many tips as I could find in the colour pencil library!

Cheers
Any tips welcome
Attached Images

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Burnsville, MN

Hails from United States

Wow Julie that looks wonderful. The bench looks so real as do the claws. You're a bird master!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Robertsloan - I really like how your birdy turned out. I like the background colour you used..just wonderful!

Nadia - Your birdy is great! Must have been tedious doing it so small.

Char- That looks to be difficult on black paper. I have never used coloured paper. But can only imagine.

Blended
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Briar your Sparrow is very cheeky. Well done. I am devastated as I will be away all month and will not be able to participate. I hope to catch a glimpse now and again while away but will not be able to paint. I love the snail, the lemons, and the rest..... Eileen
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Robert, lovely sparrow. I really like what you did with the item (not quite sure what it is) the sparrow is sitting on.

Julie, that is an awesome start on the sparrow, can't wait to see the finish.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

oooh lovely and fruity! I seem to be doign a lot of CP birds lately so I' might do the sparrow, but that waterlily us lush too and so is all that fruit... hmm choices.

I didn't get much chance last time. I'm still trying to experiment and get hold of a suitable paper, I hope to go shopping for some soon so maybe I'll be able to get somethign doen this time.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia37
i have draw the cheeky sparrow
its an aceo with koh-i-noor polycolors 36 pieces on sennelier la carte .
its my second cp work , im gonna do the apples to but larger size
greets
nadia

For only your second work this is wonderful. I noticed it immediatley as I was scrolling through the thread, the colours just shouted out at me. It is gorgeous!!!! it.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Hails from Australia

Debby
Jumpmaster

Hello
Thanks for your encouragement. I am really enjoying this challenge. As you can see I have left the belly till last, I am still thinking how to get contrast between the background and the bird, as they are similar in colour in that area. I only get to draw after 11pm at night when the kids are down,( Jeff, I don't know how you get time with five kids!!), so will do a bit more tonight.

Cheers
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
belgium

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrockchick
For only your second work this is wonderful. I noticed it immediatley as I was scrolling through the thread, the colours just shouted out at me. It is gorgeous!!!! it.

thanks alot it was verry hard but now i know why its to little(expecially on parts like the birds beek and feets) im not used at the medium yet im working now on a oswoa and it gos much better.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

You guys are all running ahead of me! I haven't had a chance to work on the shell and it is calling to me. Too much drama going on here with family problems. I hope to get back to work on the shell soon.

You all are doing a great job on the sparrow. I especially like yours, Nadia...it is so pretty and yet so small. Robert, your sparrow is nice, and I like the background, too! Julie, yours is amazing! The claws are especially good. How did you get the fence to shine like that? Can you do a mini-tutorial involving the fence?

I will be back later tonight...hopefully.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Julie...beautiful start on your sparrow!

Finished my snail...it really is on black paper (some kind of pastel paper smooth side) but the flash lightened it. Primsacolor pencils.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Prudenville, Michgian

Hails from United States

Julie G. You bird is going to be gorgeous. Your feathers and feet are so good and well executed.

bchlvr, You snail is beautiful. Great work on the black.

Busy Pencil
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for all your comments on my bird! I know I'll be back with some of the other challenge photos for this month, there are several that really grab me including a somewhat less literal treatment of the shell perhaps. I keep wanting to create iridescence in it and might do so.

Julie, your bird is spectacular. I love the accuracy and detail. I used a hue shift to distinguish the belly from the ground, also a few accent darks right at the edge that went to mid-light rather than light. I also used pure white on the belly and kept that one step lighter than the ground.

In retrospect I could have darkened the background quite a bit more -- or not worried as much about the soft edge between figure and ground there because the bird's so well rounded. I think however you handle it, that'll come out great. But darkening the background slightly would be the easy way since you aren't working on white paper and can't reserve white on it.

Your fence is fantastic. I love that. The feet are marvelous too. I think you have actually got a bit more detail than the photo! At the very least you accented the details beautifully and made them more prominent.

Linn, your shell is gorgeous. I love how that came out, it's part of what's got me leaning toward playing with iridescence in color choices and fooling around on mine. Not sure if I'll use dark paper or go back to the white Stonehenge for it when I do it -- might go the other way and work down to my darks instead of building up lights on black since you did that so perfectly. Utterly wonderful. Those rich colors leap out at me.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Gosh you have all started so early. Such beautiful work... RObert I saw your bird over on the Sketch thread but came here to comment on how lovely he is. I seem to have been drawing birds such a lot lately, mainly due to the WDE. I am still tempted to do this one too though.

There are no birds in this week's WDE :P I just posted the images. So it's a bird free week there, but good to see one here. It seems a popular choice.