WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
A Local Legend
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - July 2009

I'm so thrilled that we have so many newbies...I don't want to miss anyone!

Hi, Linn ...I am with you on the frustration of the "CP books". They help you to get in there and tackle learning to draw in color but once you leave the subject behind, you still have to figure out your own colors and you don't have "them" to help you anymore. I love Alonya Nicholson's books, also have the Lee Hammond CP book and many others. I agree that they help you learn but you have to just roll up your sleeves and get in there and draw!

Carbon, you are doing wonderfully on the jelly beans. I know this is a totally different way of thinking about color and how to go about it but you'll get the hang of it. Just keep in mind that we build colors by layers directly on the paper not on a palette beforehand. That seemed so scary to me at first (sometimes still does). I do a lot of playing around with color before I ever put anything down. When I find a mixture I like, I put a star by it and write out the pencils I used (so my foggy brain can remember it when it comes time to use that color on the current project). The greyscale is so valuable to me but I just recently started using it. You can look at a "color" ref and think you see all the different values but you really don't until you greyscale it.

Welcome, Cathy ...jump in and start drawing...we wanna see what you can do!

Tasha, I've seen a couple of things you've done on the regular forum and on the Drawing and Sketching thread...can't wait to see what you do here...

Vanity, that fence is looking good . Keep up the good work!

Lyta, I already know what good work you do, I'm excited that you joined us...I know you will do well...

Just a reminder to any complete newbies that we have...keep those pencils razor sharp...it DOES make a difference...

Off to choose my reference now...hopefully will have something to show before the weekend is out...
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Thank you, Tasha24
xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx Looks like you got that purple right
Wlecome, Wilowind
Rosemary thanks. I didn't realize that I am the first person to do that . I use a big, flat bristle brush to apply the primer on the surface. Sometimes, when it's not even enough I use foam roller. I also sometimes dilute it with water, which makes the tooth slightly finer.
ArtsyBren Thanks .

Last edited by vanity : 07-04-2009 at 12:16 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Hello!

Another newbie checking in. I am away from all but a few of my cp materials right now (have sketchbook, no bristol!) but i'll be getting home on Tuesday and I'll be starting on those cosmos! Can't wait to see everyone's
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Newton, Ia

Hails from United States

OK I had some fun today since the weather here in Iowa isn't too good I chose to do a quick drawing before we BBQ and blow things up with the neighbors tonight. Here is my try with the jelly beans.

Faber-Cast. and Lyra pencil... I don't use them a lot because it is difficult to buy them open stock. 5x7 on Canon watercolor paper.
Attached Images

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks TessDB for that invaluable advice, I'm learning so much and this is only my second monthly challenge. I'll have to sift through the CP library where there is so much info.

Artsy Bren I have been trying to layer CP like I would carbon & I'm using 2 or 3 complementry colours, but again I think the paper was too thin. So today I'll try on the 220 gsm paper

Vanity, yep I was happy with the purple & black beans and that I could make them transluscent. I wrote down all the colours for future reference eg Imperial purple & dark violet.

Danna they are nice beans, what colour did you use for the table to get that gradual shift in tone? Some sort of brown? Raw sienna?
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Danna, those jellybeans look so juicey, good enough to eat. I am starting my contribution to this month. That cosmo looked like it would work on black paper, being a glutton for punishment this time I will use different pencils.
Carbon, I look forward to your finished beans, you have a good start. Eileen
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Home is now Kansas City MO

Hails from United States

Hi All!! Happy Fourth of July!! Have a safe and colorful one!!

Finally got myself together and just got the Jelly Beans by Olika done. Used a sample I had of Canson Pure White Drawing paper, approx 3x7". Like the way it took the pencils. Used Prismas basically with a few Lyras and Derwents.

Want to say Welcome to all the newbies. The more the merrier for all of us!!

Carbon - Your JBs are looking really good and so is that sketch of Sandy Toes.

Danna - Loved the way your JBs turned out! Looks more like an oil painting to me.

Take care,
Adria
Attached Images

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Burnsville, MN

Hails from United States

Long time no see guys. I seen the monthly challenge and the pears really caught my eye. I decided to attempt the piece but put a restriction on myself. I what this done by the end of the weekend. It is a simple enough task. I have about 5 hours invested at the moment look to get another 3 or 4 tomorrow. But after that I'm done. I am going to complete the pears and tighten up the wood grain abit.

Sorry totally forgot to mention the specifics:

Photo:

Taylor’s Gold Pears by madmum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=63145

Prisma color pencils, 140lb cold press 18x14.

Name:  pears1800x600.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  189.3 KB

Last edited by jumpmaster : 07-04-2009 at 11:23 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Welcome, Arhianrad
danna23 Nice, I like the red one on the right the most
xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx This is something I should have done but I didn't. Luckily, I remember names of most colours I used
AdriaLT Your Jelly beans look good to me nice work
jumpmaster looks like you managed to reproduce the ref pic very accurately ! nice work

I can't say that I am extremely happy with my work so far. Granted, it was probably the most detailed of the ref pictures but still, could be better. I am still unsure how to deal with the backgroung but i feel it should be dark so that those tee trunks (?) would be more visible...

Last edited by vanity : 07-05-2009 at 07:11 AM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Aghata, that is really great, it looks very watercolour!
Jumpmaster, you have really caught the colour and finish of that wood, amazing. And the pears brilliant.
Adria, you have made me crave some jelly beans now, and they are hard to find in Spain.
I ate Danna's red jelly one!
Carbon, is yours finished yet, look forward to see them.
Now I have to tell you I had a disaster! lifting some colour off the paper with my Blu Tak in the usual way, but as i lifted it, it TORE a layer of the paper away!!! I was quite shocked and am trying to do a repair. I think that the problem was that the Tak was made soft by the heat and tore away instead of lifting away. I need to keep it on ice I think. Will finish and post it soon. Eileen
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

I picked up a nice paper on sale that looked great for CP, it's made by Clairefontaine and it's called "Dessin à Grain", you can see the texture in the photo below. It's white, but a touch off white, not yet cream though...

The pencils used are a mix of Derwent Coloursoft, Signature and Inktense (dry), Faber-Castell Polychromos and a few stray others.

Reference photo by Olica.

Sketched in the jelly beans in yellow and began colouring them, but the green one turned out too big, I still need to fix that. The three already coloured ones are 2x2.4 inches.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Arianrhad-- Glad you're joining in, too! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Danna-- great job on the jellybeans! One thought (and it could easily be the lighting on the image you posted, so check the real thing) is that you might want to go a bit further with some of the brighter jellybeans on (our) left side of the piece. On my monitor, they're flattening out just a bit compared to the jellybeans on the right. Hope that made sense...

Carbon-- Yep... spend some time reading through the library. Lots of good info in there. And keep asking questions. What you wonder about is probably the same sorts of things others wonder about, too. And the only silly questions are the ones that aren't asked!

Adria-- nice work on the jellybeans. I've got some more I want to say about your piece & shadows in general, but I'm running out of time this morning, so I *promise* I'll be back to comment more fully!

Jumpmaster-- good to have you jumping in! Your pears are looking wonderful! I suspect you've used cp's quite a bit before. Looking forward to seeing the finish!

Aghata-- Thanks for the info on how you used the colorfix primer. And oooo... I really like your sig line.
Your version of the fence posts (they used to be tree trunks.) is looking really good from what I can see. You may want to think about looking at the values on the larger post, taking the shaded side a bit further and punching the lighter side a bit more. And yes, I think a darker background (greenish maybe?) seems like a really good idea.

Eileen! O no! Sooo sorry to hear about your disaster! I hate it when that sort of thing happens...
I've never had a problem like that using blu tak/poster putty. I wonder if the paper isn't partially to blame, too. If it has been exposed to high humidity, it may have changed the way the fibers react... I hope you can repair it easily!

Lyta You're off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing an update!

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Newton, Ia

Hails from United States

Hi Tess (btw I love your name) anyway all my jellybeans are pretty intense, I did a scan I think it shows it better. The other picture was taken by my camera in not so good light.

And Carbon.. for the bg I used a grey, a light peach and a brown. I used the same brown on the jellybean shadows also.
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 01:10 PM
East Granby, CT

Hails from United States

I'd better get caught up with this thread before it becomes hopeless!

Danna -- Your jellybeans look good enough to eat!

Adria -- yours look great, too!

Carbon and Lyta -- yours are looking great...can't wait to see a finish!

Aghata -- your fenceposts are wonderful...nice and weathered. I can picture a field of wildflowers in the background.

Jumpmaster -- gorgeous pears. Really looking forward to seeing the finish on this one!

Hope I didn't miss anyone!

I also wanted to weigh in on the colored pencil book discussion. I've done several projects with instructions thinking that it was a necessary part of the learning process. Maybe it was, but I don't know. Sometimes I think it just proved that I'm really good at following instructions. When I sat down to do my first piece I didn't feel like I had tons of knowledge that I could simply apply. I had to do lots of playing around and about a million color swatches. There's just no substitute for experience, is there? I still buy books, though.

I'm working on the jellybeans right now. I'm using Pablos, which are new to me, so I've been experimenting with different papers. After trying a jellybean on Stonehenge, Smooth Bristol, Strathmore Drawing, and Vellum Bristol, I'm liking these pencils better on papers with less tooth. I'm going to go try a bit on Canson Mi-Tientes and cold press watercolor at which point I'll have the drawing pretty much done, but on 6 separate pieces of paper. Maybe I'll make a collage.

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Ahh, you could be right Rosemary, it is so hot and humid no wonder the paper might be soggy. Well I did the best I could and hope it does not show too much as I wanted to give it to my Mum for her birthday.... oh well, I can do something else.
Any suggestions. I need to clean the paper but I will try to wait until it is less humid. Eileen