WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - July 2009

These are very nice sketches, xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx You motivated me to start drawing mine

Well, Rosemary, that's true but I'd rather start with something easier. I might use all ref pics eventually.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchlvr
Hi all! I have never completed a colored pencil painting nor posted here. I am going to jump in and try a challenge or so this month.

Welcome. welcome, welcome and enjoy.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Thank you for the welcome to the CP of WC. I have been self taught with a lot to learn yet. I first started in oils (Bob Ross method) then went on to different type oils, only about 4 or 5 acrylics, have tried pastels and still trying and watercolor the most. I'm interested in CP because of the beautiful paintings I've seen here and the colors you acheive. I have several CP books but instead of following step by steps I want to try my hand at choosing my own colors and seeing what I can acheive and hopefully develop my own style. I hope to do all of this months reference photos.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi, everyone.

I've started on my jelly beans I have the sketch and placement all done and most of the under colours however I'm at a loss at which colour mixes to use to get that nice bright purple. I have tried several swatches with no luck. Any suggestions? Any help would be great
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Tasha, I'm trying the colours right now. I think Imperial purple (Derwent) might be pretty close.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Lyta! Hope you can find time to join in!

Lish Yes, finish that portrait first! The challenge will be waiting for you when you're ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha24
I'm at a loss at which colour mixes to use to get that nice bright purple.

Tasha? What brand of pencils are you using again?

Carbon-- your line drawings look good. You may want to double check the arm/hand of the girl, though... they're looking a little elongated or too skinny or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity
These are very nice sketches, xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx You motivated me to start drawing mine

Yay! Wanna see when you're ready to share!

Quote:
I have several CP books but instead of following step by steps I want to try my hand at choosing my own colors and seeing what I can acheive and hopefully develop my own style. I hope to do all of this months reference photos.

That's great, Linn! Books only teach what works for the author. And they can be a good place to start. But being willing to strike out on your own and make mistakes & try again etc. is the best way (for me, anyway) to really learn something.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing!
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome to the CP of WC. I have been self taught with a lot to learn yet. I first started in oils (Bob Ross method) then went on to different type oils, only about 4 or 5 acrylics, have tried pastels and still trying and watercolor the most. I'm interested in CP because of the beautiful paintings I've seen here and the colors you acheive. I have several CP books but instead of following step by steps I want to try my hand at choosing my own colors and seeing what I can acheive and hopefully develop my own style. I hope to do all of this months reference photos.

That is pretty much how I ghot started in CPs. I self-taught myself all mediums and paint in Oils (the Lin Goodwin method ).

I have learnet more by doing these challenges than by books. It's like being ina classroom with all your schoolfriends and a tutor on hand. We all help and support each other and can ask advice if needed.

Anopther thing with books is they tell you use things you can't get hold of without expressing alternatives! I love Lee Hammond books but she works with Prismas which are impossible to get hold of in the UK. I can never match up the right colours even with her chart especially as printers ink cannot match perfectly the colour shades. It takes ages to keep trying match up every colour before each projecct.

Carbon - I love your sketch of the little girl. Can't wait to see it in colour.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Agreed Lin...and the books throw in extra colors when they say my pallet only consists of or the only colors you need for this book are...and then you say where the heck did that color come from. Or you paint something not in the book and are okay what color am I supposed to use for this...better just to start out on your own and experiment...that is what I like to do...I may do something over alot but I sure learn more that way and am more comfortable painting my way than their way.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Hi tasha24 hope you'll manage to find the right colour
Linn I agree with you. Not being able to do what being told when drawing and painting was one of the reasons I never liked art classes in primary and secondary schools. The same thing happens when I try to paint or draw something in a way described in a book...

i've managed to draw the pre-sketch today. It's done on A4 Canson paper for acrylics primed with sand Colorfix. I used FC Art Grip watercolour pencil(wet)

based on Fence by heavyiron

I am not sure how the background will look like. To be honest I am not particularly fond of the original one and I'd prefer it to be less detailed.

Last edited by vanity : 07-03-2009 at 12:34 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks Carbon!Your sketches are great can't wait to see colour!

Tess- I'm using Lyras I have the 12 tin and some open stock as well.

Vanity-I hope so too or I guess I'll just have a "designer" jelly bean Good job with your fence!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I have been working on the JBs today and got this far. I'm trying to darken them & have to do the background. Am I on the right track? (sorry the scanner makes the white paper a funny grey colour)

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:23 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Vanity-- great start. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the background. And I agree, depending on where you want the viewer's eyes to land, the background in the pic could be way too busy.
I think you're the first in the Mo. Challenges to use a sanded surface... So I gotta ask... how do you apply the colorfix primer? Remember, I'm curious as a !

Tasha? How are you doing on getting the color for the purple jelly bean? I'm sorry to say Lyra's are one of the few brands I *don't* have, so I can't say "use these two pencils" with any accuracy...

Definitely on the right track Carbon! Have you converted your image to a greyscale yet to check the values? And what kind of paper are you using?

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Count me in too. I just got some Stonehenge paper & am anxious to try it. This gives me the perfect opportunity.

Cathy S./Willowwind
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hey TessDB

What's this grey scales thing? You mean make it look like a carbon drawing & check the values? Ahh interesting! How did ppl draw without a PC?! LOL

I'm afraid I'm using A3 120 gsm sketch paper. I just bought a book of Canson 220 gsm "C" a grain A3 sketch paper, that would be better? More tooth so I can make the beans darker? The black one in particular is "grainy" inspite of blending it. I'm guessing it's the paper.

In that case how do I transfer my sandy girl to the Canson? With tracing paper? I have never used it and I don't have any, I'd proably use non-stick baking paper! Or I'll just free hand it across while she's still fesh in my mind.

I'm worried about the sand colour and texture, plus I have had no luck with skin tones in the past. Gee talk about learning curves, but that's what I like about this site and new media.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Welcome, Cathy!
Stonehenge is a favorite paper for cp people. The one thing that may take some getting used to is that it really needs a light touch or you can end up with lines gouged into the surface that are almost impossibly to hide. Now, that can work *great* if you're laying in whiskers or something like that.
Good luck & can't wait to see some of your art!

Great questions, Carbon!

Quote:
You mean make it look like a carbon drawing & check the values? Ahh interesting! How did ppl draw without a PC?! LOL

Wellll... they used a handy little tool called a Value Finder. Or you can make your own less-fancy version by taking a smallish piece of white paper (like an index card) & use a hole punch to make a hole in the middle. You can then set the card over your drawing to isolate an area, then move it to your ref to see what's happening. But yes, letting a computer do it for you is *much* easier! Let me know if you'd like me to pull your image into photoshop to do it for you.
Standing back & squinting at your work is another good trick. Or looking at it in a low-light situation. Low light is especially good if you're having trouble getting your values dark enough.

Quote:
I just bought a book of Canson 220 gsm "C" a grain A3 sketch paper, that would be better? More tooth so I can make the beans darker? The black one in particular is "grainy" inspite of blending it. I'm guessing it's the paper.

I'd say your guess is right. More tooth = more layers = more dynamic colors = a better range in values = more realistic finished piece.

Quote:
In that case how do I transfer my sandy girl to the Canson? With tracing paper? I have never used it and I don't have any, I'd proably use non-stick baking paper! Or I'll just free hand it across while she's still fesh in my mind.

My favorite way to transfer my line drawings is to trace. This only works on white (or very pale colored) paper, though. Tape the line drawing to the *back* of the paper you intend to use for your finished piece. Then use a lightbox (if you have one) or a bright window. I like to keep the line drawing taped to the back until I'm done. That way, if something seems to be going wrong, I can easily go back to my lightbox (or window) and check to see if I've gone off the map without having to try to line the dang thing up again. There are other methods of transferring, so check in the library for those threads.

As far as the sand is concerned, don't think about each & every grain... get the values in, then worry about the details. It's possible to stipple with cp, and that may be a good way to go when you're ready to get the crumbly bits around her. Practice bits & test swatches before you dive in!
My best suggestion for the skin tones is to read through some of the portrait wip's in the library, and then start with color swatches & experiments.
You're up to the challenge.

Rosemary