WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Re: July Landscape Challenge

Pete, it's probably important to keep reminding me. As I said somewhere else, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach --- I have so many things I want to paint and they always take longer that I think they will. I'm going to shoot for finishing the June challenge over the weekend and I already got a jump start on this one -- I have an initial image set up and have done some thinking about what I want to do with it. My thought is to modify it slightly from the reference.....we'll see.

Thanks Again for hosting this month! (and for keeping me honest )
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Pete,
Your photos are just gorgeous and very inspiiring...I too will have a go at this month's challenge! This will be fun! Now...decision time...well see!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Hi Pete, where is St. Marys? Is it in Georgia? I live in Geogia. I like #1 and I think I'll have a go at it or two.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Pete...Our water temperature at the beach is only about 75 degrees today. Our air temperature is in the 90's like yours. I think I am closer to the beach than you are...about 10 or 15 miles away but I live right near a waterway like you do that of course is affected by the tides. Our country side seems to be a lot like yours but our only palm trees are imported near buildings and homes by people who have bought them. We have nearby swamp lands also. In back of my house we have an overgrown area of swamp type bushes that line a very small creek and crawdads that bury in the mud. One ended up in our pool one time.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Kenny, one thing i know you will not be the first. I will keep reminding you. thats why i like doing a pastel or an oil on paper or canvas. a computer takes me way to long. while at the beach today i ended up doing three P/A's oh it was fun to P/A i sure have missed it the past few week. now you would be able to take a lap top out there. I wonder if it would still be a P/A? it should be you would be doing it on sight. good question. anyone have the answer to that? well keep up June's first, than do one of mine.

Hi Barb, I'm glad you are going to join in and have fun. now i can't tell you whigh one to do that will have to be your deicision. I haven't even made my decision which one i will do. and thank you.

Hi Linnette, where is St.Marys in GA? as far South- East as you could go. if you go any more east you will be in the Atlantic. if you go any more south you will be in FL. if you look at pic # 2 the land mass to the left is Comberland Island State Park. thesmaller land mass to the right and there are also something that looks like small building near the end of the pic. thats Fernandia Beach FL. the the Atlantic is right there. in real life it doesn't look as far as in this pic. St. Marys is the second oldest city in the USA. I'm glad you will also join in.

Well Hi Linn, are you around Virgina Beach area. I have a brother in law the lived there for quite a few years now he lives do the road a piece. summers were nice but it still got cold in the winter. at least for me. a lot of palms are inported here to. most of the one from this area seem to be by low lieing areas. they must like the water. Here we go to Fernandia Beach in FL. the STate Park beach is closer but you can only get to by boat. and they charge 17.00 for the trip. and there are NO CARS on the island at all. you have to walk whereever you want to go. Now for the crawdads that what i call them also here they are crawfish, and there is even a Crawfish Festival. for them in the next town north from me here. can you believe that. it's a nice festival but thay say the best part of a crawdad is to suck the brains out of it. not me. you get a big plate of them for around $7.00. mybe 40 to 50 on it. thats alot of sucking. well talk morelater my supper is ready. be back in just a little bit.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Yep Pete...Virginia Beach area! Our winters haven't been as cold lately as in the past...I remember some real bad ones but even in later years they are too cold for me...I hate winter! Our traffic here is horrible...a military area you know with a lot of bases, shipping ports and shipyards. As you probably know you can't really get anywhere except by bridge or tunnel. Horribly built up and interstate highways galore. Going to the beach is crowded with tourists and I liked the old Virginia Beach better with the older buildings and streets on the strip before they built it up to mimic Miami Beach or something. I used to live in a nice house only 1 block from the ocean years ago and now the only thing there is hotels. By the way...I have never eaten crawdads and never will.

I started painting the first photo several times and kept wiping it off...maybe I'm just not in the mood tonight or something...couldn't get those pastels to get the colors I wanted.

Last edited by bchlvr : 07-01-2009 at 09:52 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Linn, had that problem the first time i tried a few month back. haven't tried it since. it looks so nice but getting it to work is the Challenge. I know it challenged me and the first round it won. but it's not going to beat me this time. you may have to look at it in a different light. like tomarrow. it sounds like to me your navy or someone close. you would know about Kingsbay. I live about 4 or so blocks from the back gate. closed most of the time that i have lived here and glad it is. keeps my street quiet. if it's open never know so many people lived here. and i'm not on the main street. I did get 3 P/A's done to day will post them later after i could get some light on them. well have a nice night.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
South Island, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Pete, lovely photos. Thought I'd give this a go. I have a lot to learn so this challenge is great practice for me. C and c's most appreciated.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Monica...your landscape is beautiful! The colors and textures are lovely!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Great job Monica. What size? Medium?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 AM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Well Hi Monica, I'm impressed this is very good. I like how you lighten it to look more like a bright sunny day. I see you even add the hanger for the airaplain in the distant back ground and the two little houses. This is are little air port. you can't see it in here but the runway is cutting across this pic. I fogot they were even there. this is very well done and congratulations on being the first. I sure hope your going to do more.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
South Island, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Linn, thanks very much. I have a lot of trouble with greens. I tried to add more colours and experimented with mixing to make more interesting greens. Isn't green difficult? Thanks for your comments

Thanks Kenny, I used acrylic on painting sheet 8.27" x 11.69".

Hi Pete, thanks for your comments and encouragement. Wetcanvas is such a good place for us beginners.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Hi all.. these photos are so inspiring I had to give one a try. Beautiful painting Monica! C & Cs most welcome!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Monica, you have set the bar! Lovely colors and light in this.

Claire's Website and Blog
“The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” Pierre-Auguste Renoir
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Welcome liquidice, When i first saw this i was speachless. the only thing that came out of my mouth was WOW! than nothing. thinking i put a pic up here and this beautiful painting came out of it. What nice light and your use of colours is fantastic. as Claire said you did set the bar.