WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Prudenville, Michgian

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - June 2009

Lish you tomato is coming along, Sorry about your scanner. Have you tried taking a picture with your camera without a flash. It worked pretty well for me. Bush Pencil
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

You have all done really well. Forgive me for not personally mentioning all of you.

House moving is not going well. Last night by the time I'd finsihed running around and packing I was so exhausted I was in bed by 9pm. Having Spondylitis AND ME is taking it's tool on me with all I have to do to move.

I started this last week and just had time to finish it tonight.

Just sitting here gently colouring with my CPs is quite relaxing.

Anyway here is
Butterfly by Queen Bee
A5 cartridge paper
Coloursoft and Derwent CPs
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Home is now Kansas City MO

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone!! Have to say there is some truely lovely work being posted lately.

Lin - The butterfly is beautiful. Glad you took some time from moving to do it. jSorry tho you are feeling bad. Can relate.

Char - Your tomato looks yummy. Where's rest of the stuff for a BLT?

Five - That has to be the most beautiful rose I have seen so far. I have started it, burt made a tiny change in it.

ROSEMARY!!!!! Good thing you aren't anywhere near me right now!!! You'd have to go see a chiropractor!! Thank you so much for taking time in your busy day to find Utrecht for me!! I just KNEW there had to be a decent art store in town. Guess I just didn't look in the right places for it. Not good at doing searches for stuff as I used to be. I have some decent black paper now - Strathmore Artagain. More Stonehenge and sample of other kinds including Mi Tientes. Thos samples are only 2" wide but about 4-5" long of useable space. And I finally got a UV Spray to protect some paintings I need to send to my step-daughters. I must apologize if I sounded like I was whining and I guess I was. Don't usually act like that.
Thanks again for your help.

Char, I almost forgot. I took a peek at the pics of your studio. Great place to create your great work. You have fur-help like I do. Am having to type this on my lap as the desk is "occupied"!!!!!!
Sorry for the book, Thanks again

Adria
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Torrington, North Devon

Hails from England

Here's my Butterfly attempt. I am problems with highlights - maybe I need to leave them uncoloured from the start? Not easy this butterfly, I got a bit frustrated at not being able to get the shimmery effect of the wings. Oh well, keep trying eh?

Pablo pencils on A5, Daler Rowney, 135lbs paper.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend

Hi all
I'm trying to have a rest day today and while I have my lunch and coffee I finally have had time to look at all your works and comment.

Five - Your Rose on black is truly amazing, really striking. I hope mine comes out half as well as yours!

Busy P - Lovely work on the jug. All that white on black. You must have worn down your white pencils. In answer to your question about putting colkours underneath. On mine I used lots of white and I used it in a tonal underpaintign way. I did thick heavy white where it was to be white or highlights, less white layers for midtones and loose white just to cover the black for darker areas. When working on black some pencils are more opaque than others. I find it useful to check my lights for opacity and use the ones that will be best suited to the overlayers and lay them down nice and thickly, varying with tone required.

Char - Beautiful work, as always, on the tomato, very realistic. Now can yougive us the rest of the salad please

Adria - Lovely work on the tomato. I like the Cezannish colouring and background.

Danna - Your rose is amazingly soft and realistic. Makes me want to reach for the watering can. I'm not sure what Neocolour II are. I have CD neopastels which are oil pastels. Are Neocolours II some sort of aqua pencil ?

Tash - What sort of wc pencils are you using ? If you want brightness then Derwent Inktense are beautiful both wet and dry. I have converted a few people on WC to them They are quite bold on black dry even. They are very versatile as some WC CPs dont' look their best unless used with water but these are good without too. I have used some wc CPs and they are really pale. Derwent Start are very pale, their effect is similar to very light watercolour paintings. Derwent Aquatone, has a limited range and are more like a paint stick. They are woodless pure pigment and although brighter than the student grade Start are still more painterly. Derwent have jusrt relaunched their new and improved Watercolour range. I had a free sample. It was a very very bright almost luminous apple green. It washes nicely, but I can't see wher eI would use that particular colour. I can't comment on them on the strength of one. My favourites are without a doubt Inktense and I have done loads of work with these. They also make great solid underpaintings for other dry pencils too.

D.P.M. - I too have struggles with white highlights. What I do now is put on loads of white pencil. I can't always see it but as I'm working I can 'feel' it when I get too close (if you get what I mean). If I need to take away some harsheness I just lightly skim it like I did with the butterfly. It is nigh impossible, I have found to add strong whites on the top. This is something I can't get used to as I'm predominantly an oil painter and oil pastellist and white is added last. This is why I also struggle with watercolour. I find that 'planning ahead' takes away some of the spontaneity of just being able to add those final highlights where I like.

That's everyone I think

I started my black part of the challenge last night. Is it me or am I the only one who finds it harder to keep black paper 'clean' than white ? I am forever mopping up pencil dust or smudges with my putty rubber. In the end I gave it a quick lacquer spray.

This is unfinsihed - I hope to work on it tonight if I'm not too tired. The carpets are being fitted in the new bungalow today and I have to go over and fetch my OH who is over there. I also have to go buy a plane for the doors lol.

Anyway here's the WIP

Polychromos and Coloursoft on artists grade black card A5

I've only had my polychromos about a month and the white in that and my Coloursoft are both wearing down. My Coloursoft is about 2" long I use that a lot for top layers and blending and smoothing. I am not able to place an art order for ages as 2 weeks after I move in I'm off on holiday! No art shops around here sell open stock.

Anyway see ya'all later... (sorry for the long post)

Last edited by oldrockchick : 06-11-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: forgot size
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Home is now Kansas City MO

Hails from United States

Hi All! Finally got the rose done last night. Am very happy with it. I know my pencil strokes show and some of the background too but it turned out pretty good IMO!!!

Lin I like your rose very much. Great colors. Hopefully I will be able to get some different brands to play with.

Have a great day everyone,

Adria
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Newton, Ia

Hails from United States

Yes Oldrockchic neocolors are an aqua crayon, very nice set of colors I find I reach for them often for underpaintings.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Adria that is lovely. I like the way you turned it and made your own interpretation with the stem.

Here is my finished version
I'm disappointed because I just couldn't add any more layers. My Coloursoft white is now a tiny stump and my Poly white is going down. After a while even Polys wouldn't lay down. I finished off with the white from Derwent Drawing and only the coloursoft would go onto the last layer.
The only black I had to hand was some black card I bought loose from the art shop or some thin black cartridge paper in my sketchbook.

Anyway...

Peach Rose by Crias
A5 black card
Polychromos, Coloursoft and Derwent Drawing White
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States
WIP, take three?

Wow! Everyone's drawings are fantastic! It's really cool to see different creations of the same subjects, each with their own unique & beautiful flair.

Tess, I will start on the shadow, but I am sort of afraid of the background and was wondering if I should do something contrasting, like purples/blues.

I took your advice, Busy Pencil, and tried an outdoor shot with my camera. It was dark, but when I "auto adjusted" the colors came out very true to reality. (thank goodness!)

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." H. D. Thoreau
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Some beautiful pieces posted.

Lin, I love both your rose and your butterfly -- saw your butterfly on the All-Media Sketching Thread already but the rose is spectacular. I get frustrated when the tooth of the paper's full too. I hope you can get some black Stonehenge sometime, the Stonehenge really works so well with colored pencils. And the white Derwent Drawing Pencil is the strongest white I've ever used, it's great.

Your rose is spectacular. I don't think it could be improved on, I'm awed.

D.P.M. -- your butterfly's good too. I sympathize with your frustration about white highlights. I often do just that -- reserve them, leave them blank till I get there and at the very end if I want a burnished painting, just burnish them with white. Or go over them on the paper with a white pencil so that any stray mark lightens. This can be good for getting lighter values too if there's heavy white under the soft highlight and then I go over it with layers of other colors.

Tampa, your tomato's great! So delicate. I like the way you made the dark reflection stronger than even the color on the top, that's so cool when you've gone so heavy around the stem too. It really stands out.

Tasha, love the strong blacks, they really make your tomato pop forward.

I did the tomato too, in Derwent Artist colour pencils. Today my son in law Karl brought up several more boxes to unpack -- and one was my wood box set of Derwent Artist, which was finally in reach in a place where I could spread out all three trays at once. I didn't use this set as often as I wanted for space considerations in our old house. But there it was -- irresistible -- and so I did the tomato in my wirebound ProArt sketchbook using a lot of different colours. I didn't keep track, but I picked up at least a dozen from each tray.

About 2 1/2" tall by 4" wide. I wasn't going for the full burnished painting effect, more like a drawing with a lot of crosshatched layers. I picked it for the odd play of colours and values on the surface and in the shadows, then decided to play with an abstracted background a bit shading it warmer toward the light and cooler toward the right without putting in any of the hazy background elements.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Thank you, RobertSloan. I forgot to say that it's still in progress and that I hope someone could offer constructive critism or correction possiblities before I go further. I love your tomato and the warmth you added in the background!

Duh, I guess I could have edited my other posting. I'll try to save space later by doing that. Sorry!

While I'm at it, I should add what I am using (I'm blonde, but I can learn. )...I am using Prismacolors on Strathmore Windpower smooth Bristol, 9x12 (noted to self that it doesn't fit on my scanner). I'm about 4 to 6 layers into most of the unfinished areas and hope to work up to something similiar to the bottom, "full" area.

Last edited by Tampa Lish : 06-11-2009 at 06:33 PM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States
Re: WIP, take three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Lish
Wow! Everyone's drawings are fantastic! It's really cool to see different creations of the same subjects, each with their own unique & beautiful flair.

Tess, I will start on the shadow, but I am sort of afraid of the background and was wondering if I should do something contrasting, like purples/blues.

I took your advice, Busy Pencil, and tried an outdoor shot with my camera. It was dark, but when I "auto adjusted" the colors came out very true to reality. (thank goodness!)

Tampa . . . You have a very nice, light hand! Your layers of pigment are nicely done, and the drawing is pretty good. The bottom of the tomato is a little flatter than you have drawn it, but as far as the rest of it, it is quite nice, especially the stem.

As I usually do, I will suggest you push, push, push . . . both values and color. Let's first look at the values in the reference photo:

You are spot on with the value in the dark shadow on the lower right side of the tomato ( you know that this is a reflection of the table shadow in an otherwise lighter area of the tomato?), but be careful not to make that swirl of shadow above it darker than it should be. It has a few areas that approach that value, but I don't think they are as large as you have blocked in. Just be sure subsequent layers keep that value from getting darker.

Don't neglect the highlight around and on the stem! Yo may want to lift some color to bring them back: use a piece of cellophane tape or frisket film to keep that crisp edge where the highlight touches the stem and leaves.

Remember that you can use complimentary colors to slightly neutralize and deepen some of the red . . . I see a little reflected color in the left side below the highlight.

I would hesitate to detract anything from your tomato by doing the background in a color. The dark and light drama is plenty of background, espeically if you just simplify it into masses of interesting layered color to achieve the darks. If you squint at the ref. photo you will see a band of lighter darks in the shadow behind the tomato, and you will see reflect red in the shadow under the tomato. The remaining background need not, nor should it be, one solid color, but would work nicely if you varied your underneath layers to follow the variations you see in the photo. When you apply the later layers of pigment, the difference will be subtle, but will serve to give your simplified background all the interest it needs. Keep the temperature of the background from becoming either too warm, or the color too intense. You want your lovely tomato to steal the show!

http://www.lindahardy.com/cpthumbs/images/f.jpeg

Do you see how Linda Lucas Hardy handled her background, hinting but not spelling out what that dark area contains? Also, notice how she takes liberties with those shadows to the point they almost look like watercolor? If I am not mistaken (I took a workshop with her) she did this on fine grit sanded paper! You can check out her website and blog by googling her name. Her blog shows some of her workshop photos: http://lindalucashardy.blogspot.com/

You have a very good start, and apparently you have either taken some c/p classes or have developed a natural hand for it! Keep sharpening those points and we will look for you in future CPSA shows!

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/

Last edited by TessDB : 06-12-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adding url & removing image
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

ArtSavesLives, thank you, thank you, thank you. Actually, this is my first real CP picture (other than the doodle in my signature, that I did when I purchased a 24 pack of Prismas a LONG time ago). I decided three years ago that I wanted to earn a degree and career in art. I did the graphite drawings in my signature but not much more. I have been concentrating on finishing my general classes, but now I'm done with my AA and starting an art program this fall. I really don't have much more than my signature drawings, so I'm starting brand new, as a mid-life career change.

I (now) see the bottom isn't flat enough (knew something was out of wack down there, but couldn't pin point it) I hadn't looked at the photo in grey tones (I had read about that in the library and forgot, duh). A must do, in the future, for sure!

I'll try not to darken those areas that are already at their tone. The stem and leave area is pretty over worked already (erased, not much tooth..ack) and this is the first I've heard of cellophane tape or frisket film, but I've added them to the "need to try" list.

Your advice on the background makes total sense, so I'm glad I didn't go the other route. I saw the jar, etc in the background when I first printed/examined the photo and understand that continuing the excellent vision of Olika's photography would work best given the direction I've gone with the tomato.
Linda Lucas Hardy's drawing helps a ton! I'm heading to look at the link, right now.
Thanks so much, again, for your time and help. Your (and everyone's) assistance and this site are truely amazing!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tampa, this is going to be incredible if you build up the rest till it matches the reflection of the shadow. I loved that too, it's what led me to do the tomato! You went so striking with your early layers that I thought you deliberately did that effect. I think it may look cool to do that with something and give the light more of an intense overexposed look by going for full burnished textureless but not quite finishing the areas in the light.

Of course Prismacolors. Mmmmm Prismacolors. Nothing like them.

Here's another in Derwent Drawing Pencils, I had a go at the Queen Bee photo of a blue butterfly...

Not as intense as I'd get if I did it in Prismacolors but then I'd probably use metallics too if I was using those. I tried to imply the iridescence by shifting hues all over the place and focusing on value.

Bottom half of the same page in my 4" x 6" wirebound ProArt sketchbook. I would've layered more on Stonehenge and might try either of these again in more depth with Prismacolors or Lyra or something more transparent and less dry.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Ooo, I love the butterfly too, Robert. I can picture it in the prismacolor metallics!

I hope I CAN match it to the reflection of the shadow. Until the last two posts, I didn't even think about it being a reflection of the shadow!

I typically have an "I can do this!" attitude, but having little experience, I had inside insecurities. I feel really empowered with how far I've gotten on this tomato, which I could NOT have done without this site and the kind people here. I'm SOOOO excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I give everyone a hug?