WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States
Monthly CP Challenge - June 2009

Rules for the Monthly CP Challenge

1) Use one or more of the ref photos posted at the beginning of the Challenge thread. Feel free to adapt the refs to suit your creativity & imagination. Change the crop, add, subtract, combine them, etc.!
2) State which ref you are using & credit the photographer in your first post.
3) Please list the size of your piece, type of support (stonehenge, watercolor paper, colorfix, etc.), and type of pencils you are using. If you are using watersoluble pencils, please let us know if you are using them wet or dry.
4) Mixed media is ok, but because this is the cp forum, colored pencil should be the dominant medium used in your piece.
5) If you would like help along the way, please post your work as wip's (work in progress) in this thread. This is especially helpful if you're new to cp. It's always easier to change things early on! If there is something specific you want help with, Ask! What's bothering you may not be obvious to everyone else.
6) The Monthly CP Challenge threads will remain open for six months. You may post your work in the appropriate monthly challenge thread as long as it is open, even if a new challenge has begun. The current challenge will be stickied at the top of the forum.
7) There are no experts here! Some participants may have more experience with cp than others, but everyone is here to learn. Feel free to experiment, branch out, and push your boundaries. Of course, the most important thing: Have Fun!

Sooo... here are the refs. And this month, the "extra" challenge is to do at least one of the refs on black paper.

Jug by Cravia
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=82429

Red Tomato by Olika
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=21948

Peach Rose by Crias
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=23896

Blue Butterfly by Queen Bee
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=53840

Chipmunk by Stalksthedawn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=17242

Message in a bottle by tampster1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=34364

Good luck!
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Last edited by TessDB : 08-07-2009 at 09:36 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Home is now Kansas City MO

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - June 2009

Woo Hoo! Rosemary! You sure picked us some great ones here!! Can see I will be quite busy this month! I think I have already saved a couple of them, or something like em!!!!!! Can't believe I am the first to post about them. Have a great day everyone!!

ADRIA
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Great photos! Thank you! My first CP drawing attempt is going to be Olika's gorgeous Red Tomato. I'm not sure about starting out with black paper, but I'll give it a go.

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." H. D. Thoreau
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Good to hear you're jumping in again this month, Adria!

Welcome Lish!
Working on black might be throwing you in a wee bit over your head for a first outing (that's why it's the *extra* challenge. )... so maybe just use white paper for your tomato this time, eh? And if you feel really brave, do it again on black. Getting used to working with cp's can be tough, so go gently with yourself!

And I'm gonna post this now so y'all know: my boy-o is out of school for the summer on Wed. Which means my availability/time to be online may become scarce for a bit. Especially as we work out what our routine will be, y'know? So if I seem absent? It's cause I am!
Joking aside, I'll do my best to keep up with everyone's work, just don't be surprised if I'm a bit quiet from time to time.

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Warwickshire, Middle Earth

Hails from United Kingdom

ooh interesting refs. Despite moving house and possibly having no internet after I move in a couple of weeks for a short while I will still try to do at least ONE this month. If I get to do any more I may be late postibng them untilI get my internet moved over to the new place.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM
East Granby, CT

Hails from United States

These are all interesting, Rosemary. I printed out the butterfly, but I also really want to try the pitcher and maybe the rose and tomato too. I don't know if I have any black paper at home, but I know I have some really dark grey and green...hmmmm. Decisions, decisions!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks, Rosemary! Turns out I don't have black paper anyway. I started with Canson Mi-teintes Pastel paper..the light creamy white in the colored assortment pad. (the back, because it had less texture) I am, pretty much, flying by the seat of my pants over here. lol I'll scan it after a few more hours of work.
This is the last week of school for my children, as well, so I know how that goes!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

All the references are terrific but I gotta say I think I'm enamored with the chipmunk, which could or could not be good, haven't tried critters so I just might give this little guy a go. Black paper, don't think I have any but will have to go look, that would be a double whammy for sure...LOL for me!
Maybe just plain paper...

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Lish
Thanks, Rosemary! Turns out I don't have black paper anyway. I started with Canson Mi-teintes Pastel paper..the light creamy white in the colored assortment pad. (the back, because it had less texture) I am, pretty much, flying by the seat of my pants over here. lol I'll scan it after a few more hours of work.
This is the last week of school for my children, as well, so I know how that goes!

Don't sweat it. This is a learning experience. Just learn & enjoy!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM
A Local Legend
Alabama

Hails from United States

Rosemary, lovely references as usual this month! I love them all which makes choosing sooo hard. You know I love critters but the blue butterfly draws me too...hmmmmm....

I remember the days when the kiddos take up all your time. Enjoy them, they pass so quickly.

I'm very busy right now too so not sure how much I will be able to do this month, but I'll do what I can.

Can't wait to see what everyone does with this months challenges...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhaps
Don't sweat it. This is a learning experience. Just learn & enjoy!

Does this mean you're along for the ride, Cindy? Hope so!

Elaine-- I want folks to *stretch* their muscles, not pull something! I'm sure you're up to the challenge, though.

Bren & Lin, do what you've got time for! I'd say I'm hoping to join in this month, too. But then y'all would *know* I'm delusional!

Donna-- use what you've got on-hand, although choose your ref carefully with the dk green! It could do really surprising things to your color choices!

Rosemary

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

That tomato looks like a good one to try on black paper. That might be my first one for June, but I've got to do a couple of them from May, too. I am way behind in the art I want to do.

I unpacked 10 boxes today, and I have 5 rooms down and one to go! My colored pencils are getting dusty!

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Torrington, North Devon

Hails from England

Oh great stuff. Can't wait to get the house back to myself so i can get cracking on that butterfly... and the {what is it? chipmunk?} furry thing.

Laters :-)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Hello, everyone! Here is my first attempt at starting the Red Tomato. I read more of the Library and Robert has kindly given me some direction for my next try, but I thought it couldn't hurt to show what I'm starting with, in case other people have advice for me.
I decided to try again with Bristol vellum instead of the pastel paper used in the one below. I think I've worked out the shading problems in my new sketch and color choices of my pencils..but haven't laid down any color yet. I'll post after the first few layers?
Thanks in advance for any C & C you can provide!!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Good to hear you're trying again, Lish!
One thing that you'll hear me say over and over is: test swatches-- get a scrap of the paper you're planning on using and make little swatches of color, trying different combinations of pencil, and changing the order of the layers; try different sorts of pencil strokes, and try to develop the habit of keeping your points sharp & your pressure light.

Making the leap from graphite, you should be well-acquainted with the need to create correct values to give an object shape & weight & dimension. With color, you've got another element to play with in there... color temperatures. Cooler colors will recede, warmer colors will come toward the viewer.

Looking forward to seeing your next run at this!

Rosemary