WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States
Comment on final entry by: ccp

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=66942

this is me again

o charles... i LOVE what you can do with 12 colored pencils!!! and i love (as a person BORN wearing glasses) that you have them askew and yr looking thru the hinge on the side... .... sigh.. happens all the time!! so real... love it! kor
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 AM
WC! Guide

Re: Project Discussion: Self Portrait

Charles the more I see of your work, the happier I am that you signed up. Great job. I really like this last one.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

this is me again

This is so awesome, CCP. Super great job. Love it.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Central New York

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, great work!! I'm loving each and every one, we're really gathering quite a group of CP portraits of ourselves and I think that's really cool.
I'm still waiting for my supplies that were supposed to be delivered yesterday, the note on the tracking site said that I was not home and yet I was here all day long and have no idea how I could have missed them. Also there was no mail and no note in my box that said they missed me. (It was usps so regular us mail), so they would have left a note. I dunno something weird happened. I am now sitting by my window staring out of it just waiting for the mail man to come because I will not miss him this time!!!! I'll chase him down if I have to. Can't wait to get started on this.
www.creativelifeimagery.com
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
WC! Guide

I just found out from a Dick Blick phone call that when they ship, they now ship to the post office (not sure if it's just for a certain size) and then the post office brings it to the house. Nothing like adding a couple days to the delivery. And the lady at the post office yesterday said there is a raise in rate coming in May. The big trucks make enough money for their shipping, they should drop things off themselves and leave the post office out of it.

Sorry but had to sound off about it. Hopefully your supplies will come today. It's like waiting for Christmas Day.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Central New York

Hails from United States

Well the mail man never came so hopefully Monday?
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Central New York

Hails from United States

Yeah I will never chose the free shipping option again. My stuff shipped on the 30th from Wisconsin, coming to NY I knew it was going to take a while, but I thought it was being shipped FedEx Ground because that's what it said, and on the fedex site it said delivery was supposed to be the 6th, and that it was shipping "fedex smartpost", well, still no package 8 days later!!! Now I am hoping to get my package on Monday. Never again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
I just found out from a Dick Blick phone call that when they ship, they now ship to the post office (not sure if it's just for a certain size) and then the post office brings it to the house. Nothing like adding a couple days to the delivery. And the lady at the post office yesterday said there is a raise in rate coming in May. The big trucks make enough money for their shipping, they should drop things off themselves and leave the post office out of it.

Sorry but had to sound off about it. Hopefully your supplies will come today. It's like waiting for Christmas Day.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Central New York

Hails from United States
Re: Comment on final entry by: ccp

Great 2nd portrait CCP! Love the shading around your face too, (the background) it's like a halo effect adds nicely to the style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye

this is me again

This is so awesome, CCP. Super great job. Love it.

Ai
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: LULAY

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=66940

Self portrait

I think you've created a lovely intense portrait. Portraiture in any form is never easy, but practice in the form of self portraits is always very useful.

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: mithila

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=66872

nose-out-of-joint

You've got great shapes here and a good portrait. What didn't you like about the watercolour pencils?

Very often, its not the pencils that are the cause but the surface you're working on. It looks like an almost canvas like support you're using which may be the problem in laying down even tones. Perhaps something smoother would give you a different result.

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: artastic

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=66903

me

This looks like a good portrait. Your drawing skills are evident.

CP can be challenging to get smooth even tones with. I use small circles with light pressure to build up the layers of cp so that I can't see individual pencil marks on my drawing. You may like to try that technique in your next piece.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Immortalized
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

this is me again

This has an almost watercolour look to it. Working with a limited palette can give you amazing results. Sometimes too many colours just overwhelm.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
A Local Legend
India

Hails from United Nations
Comment on final entry by: LULAY

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=66940

Self portrait

Great portrait, Lulay! And you say that self-portraits are not your forte? I think you've captured a very relaxed look in this one, and I love the colours too. The sheen on the lips is very well done.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
A Local Legend
India

this is me again

Another great portrait! Love those glasses, the way you've tinted them, and yes, the way they are askew on your face. Interesting to see how you've dealt with all the hair, treating it as shapes rather than mass (can't get the words to say exactly what I mean here, this is the closest I can manage).
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
A Local Legend
India

Jeanette, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try working on a smoother surface. This portrait was done in a handmade paper notebook.

The thing with coloured pencils is that they and I don't seem to be temperamentally alike, or even close. I find that they demand a lot of work just to get the colours on paper, and then the shading needs even more ardent wooing and persuasion to work properly.

One thing in their favour is that there are no rude shocks, such as can happen at times with watercolours. But then, there are no happy surprises either.

So...